Sour grapes

There are already umpteen forums with umpteen threads for chatting about anything and everything (except politics and religion). There's even a chat room.

All I'm asking is can we go back to SOTD as it has always been until recently?

As a newer member, I like SOTD for educational ideas on shave cream, brushes, pre-shaves, etc. I have searched some of the products shown on SOTD. I would agree with @Bechet

I actually kind of enjoy the personalization (banners, smileys. etc). If I have a question or comment, I can PM or start a post elsewhere. I have purchased of shaving and non-shaving items (thanks to @Darkbulb) based on TSR forums.

There IS a way around it....if people would be open to it :)
I participate on some photography forums and there are threads where people want to keep those threads free of comments, praises, etc - what people do for those threads is prefixing them with "NW" (meaning No Words). People know that they are only to post their image (and associated data points if needed) - but there are to be no 'comments'.
It's been in practice for years and works great on those forums.

Example: "NW: SOTD June X-X" is a pure photo-based SOTD thread.
I'm not saying have SOTDs running in parallel I'm just suggesting the possibility of adopting the standard for threads where maybe the majority wants to keep a thread 'clutter-free.

Personally I'm ok with either and can see Pros and Cons with the idea.

There IS a way around it....if people would be open to it :)
I participate on some photography forums and there are threads where people want to keep those threads free of comments, praises, etc - what people do for those threads is prefixing them with "NW" (meaning No Words). People know that they are only to post their image (and associated data points if needed) - but there are to be no 'comments'.
It's been in practice for years and works great on those forums.

Example: "NW: SOTD June X-X" is a pure photo-based SOTD thread.
I'm not saying have SOTDs running in parallel I'm just suggesting the possibility of adopting the standard for threads where maybe the majority wants to keep a thread 'clutter-free.

Personally I'm ok with either and can see Pros and Cons with the idea.
There is a German shaving forum doing something similar: SOTD is text only. a list of things used for the shave. No comments. No description. No photos. No links to the separate SOTD photo thread. Just photos. No text. No link back to the SOTD.
I look at their SOTDs when I have problems falling asleep. :D:D About as thrilling as the shipping forecast.

Another forum I frequent does have two threads, one for photos and another for comments. The comments thread has fewer posts than the photo thread. I think it works well and makes browsing the photos thread a pleasure. Just my 2p.

It ain't broke so it don't need no fixing. If Roby likes his smileys then it's ok with me. I personally don't care for their use but it doesn't get under my skin or owt. That's what midges are for....

I'd be agreeing with Rob an' all. :p

I'm in agreement with @Bechet on the keeping SOTD clear of clutter.
But @UKRob also makes a good point with his "little Englander" comment, a lot of our foreign friends have every right to take at least a little offence at bechets attitude.
Well, I find it refreshing. When we visit a British forum, at the very least we can expect a British attitude ;)

But seriously, I value the unique character of this place. It's definitely a different community than the American / global forums. And if that means we have to endure a bit of Britishness, so be it, for me :)

Are we on the worlwideweb or the British only version ? Forum's evolve over time as members come and go .
On most forums if a moderator has an issue that may ruffle some feathers its normally discussed in a locked (not for normal members) section amongst other mods/admin first.

Back
Top Bottom