Stove top espresso tips.

I have a Whittard stove top espresso maker (3 cup), probably ten plus years old, but it works well. I tend to use it as it's quicker and easier than either my Krups coffee maker or the Bodum Cafetiere.

Do many people us them?

Any tips? I never know whether to flash it up to heat quickly, or let it heat slowly on a gentle heat - or am I over complicating the whole process?! :-/

It works the same as a Bialetti I assume.

Gentle heat up is best, as soon as it starts to burble take it off the heat completely if not a bit sooner (when half full).

Let it finish brewing and give it a stir to disperse the solubles.

You could even experiment with tamping see if that improves things.

I didn't tamp but heated as gently as possible.

Put it another way, steam forces water through the grinds which will always scald the coffee, I tried to minimise that by reducing heat exposure.

Hi Quattrojames,
Yup, definitely slow and off, just before noises. Google the manufacturers, not Trolls!
Whittard are branded Bialetti. My only "tip" is don't use detergent, as you need the thin film of oils to 'season' the pot, preventing reaction with the aluminium. My oldest is nearly 30 years old, still used at least every week. Miffed at smaller one I bought in Whittards - they were positively offhand when I needed a new gasket.
Different tamping changes with different coffees to your taste - but never as hard as an espresso machine.
I'm unclear what Antdad is saying - espresso, Bialetti, Kona, drip, caffetiere, turkish all use boiling water. Cold filtering overnight can be nice, but another US maketing gimmick like Deely-Bobbers and Pet Rocks in my opinion.
love'n'joy
Lloyd

lloydedwards said:
I'm unclear what Antdad is saying - espresso, Bialetti, Kona, drip, caffetiere, turkish all use boiling water.

Some of those coffee makers require the production of steam and boiling water to function however anything brewing above 95c/204F isn't ideal for optimum extraction.

lloydedwards said:
Antdad, are you saying espresso machines make bad coffee?
Lloyd

espresso machines dont use boiling water, ie 100 degrees or more, where as the other ones do or steam which is lot more than 100

thought thats not say a bialetti stove top does not make a nice drink

Hi Pedro83,
Espresso machines operate at pressure WHERE THE COFFEE IS. Therefore the temperate of the water will be higher - much higher. I'd be fascinated to know where you got the misleading information about the temperature of steam. Also water boils at 100c only at sea level, plus add it to coffee at ambient temperature and that will not be 100c.
Most of this would appear to come from an often misused research quote about ideal temperature being 95c. THIS WAS THE COMPROMISE TEMPERATURE - ie the best temperature for a fixed temperature machine for using ANY grind, ANY type of bean and ANY roast. ie, least likely to be screwed up by untrained staff, rather than more expensive trained baristas. I don't have the research paper extract, but I do know it is misquoted all over the net with no source given. Given that tongues are like fingerprints (no two the same), cultural taking of coffee changes, mineral content of water changes etc etc.
I love the exchanges about coffee and its paraphernalia here, ribbing included, but physics is physics - and I don't believe in creationist coffee or we wouldn't have the variety.
love'n'joy
Lloyd

Hi shanky887614,
Bialetti type is probably what you got, generally in aluminium. Stainless ones are available - but you'd need to go shopping with your magnet to be sure. If you have an old style percolator, you're probably better off with a bottle of Camp (hope you are not American!!!). Without experimenting I don't know how it would work regarding the way induction heats a container of water. As Antdad and I said, slow and gentle, and off before any noise. - Makes me want to put my foot through the screen when they suggest on telly that the noise is part of a good coffee!!
love'n'joy
Lloyd

lloydedwards said:
Hi Pedro83,
Espresso machines operate at pressure WHERE THE COFFEE IS. Therefore the temperate of the water will be higher - much higher. I'd be fascinated to know where you got the misleading information about the temperature of steam. Also water boils at 100c only at sea level, plus add it to coffee at ambient temperature and that will not be 100c.
Most of this would appear to come from an often misused research quote about ideal temperature being 95c. THIS WAS THE COMPROMISE TEMPERATURE - ie the best temperature for a fixed temperature machine for using ANY grind, ANY type of bean and ANY roast. ie, least likely to be screwed up by untrained staff, rather than more expensive trained baristas. I don't have the research paper extract, but I do know it is misquoted all over the net with no source given. Given that tongues are like fingerprints (no two the same), cultural taking of coffee changes, mineral content of water changes etc etc.
I love the exchanges about coffee and its paraphernalia here, ribbing included, but physics is physics - and I don't believe in creationist coffee or we wouldn't have the variety.
love'n'joy
Lloyd

where the coffee is is not where the water is heated lloyd so cant see how the temp will increase at this point, and how this being pressurised actually has a bearing.
But espresso machines also operate with a temperature gauge/thermostat so the water temp will be what it is set to be no matter pressurised or not. a moka pot is also pressurised so water will be above boiling and steam will be higher as generated at boiling point but will increase in temp when pressurised and still exposed to heat(hence the reason you use at lowest heat) so steam coming off rolling boil pot 100 from anything with any amount of pressurising can and will be greater(this is not hard stuff mate) would love to know where you got your half assed answers about steam being at same as boiling. you are probably right 95 is the middle of road temp that should work well with most coffee some will taste better hotter some colder, no one said other wise. 95 wont work with any grind as the rate of flow will give either a lot of under extraction and loads of volume or over extraction and hardly any volume the temp is not going to affect this

Hi pedro083,

"where the coffee is is not where the water is heated lloyd so cant see how the temp will increase at this point, and how this being pressurised actually has a bearing."
Put your finger over the end of a bicycle pump and press. It is why a pressure cooler cooks quicker - it gets hotter. The rest of your comments demonstrate how much you must be missing Wikipedia today. I'm not sure if you are Trolling or mistaken - whichever it is , try Google (other search engines are available).
NB Reason to use moderate heat under Bialletti is to reduce the direct dry heating of the grounds by conduction up through the sides of the pot. There is a finite limit as to how quickly the water can heat.
Can someone with an ology help me out?
love'n'joy
Lloyd

cooker not cooler

Back
Top Bottom