Stove top espresso tips.

Well as with most things on here, I was tempted and went out this morning and purchased a stove top. From there I purchased some Lazzara Coffee.

Impressed, nice coffee and even SWMBO was pleased.

I also purchased one of them pasta machines, so next up is pasta making.

Yesterday it was a Chinese theme, with home made Sweet & Sour Pork and Beef & Brocolli, both were miles better than the takeaway.

Possibly inspired by this thread, after a year of abstinence from coffee, I find I now enjoy it again! I have got out the stovetop expresso maker and had a few brews with it - lovely stuff. Today I bought some lavazza espresso, so I will be enjoying one before work tomorrow I think:icon_rolleyes:

Hi Northamsaint,
I've tried loads of times since giving up smoking, and find express coffee REALLY takes on flavour of smoke. Serious fire control and embers only to make any improvement on "mud" coffee.
"mud" coffee might be good 'outdoors' training for the cubs etc - always leave the bottom of the cup!! Read (and copy) the traditional turkish method on web - good practice for placing pot in fire for control.
love'n'joy
Lloyd

Just won a Bialetti Moka on ebay, just waiting for it to arrive.
In anticipation I have bought a pack of Lavazza ground coffee.
I've never really bean (geddit?) a coffee lover. Just chuck some Gold Blend in a mug, milk n sugar.
But for some reason I wanted to try 'proper' coffee without all that mumbo-jumbo skinny stuff that Starbucks go on about.

So, any tips, bearing in mind I have never used anything more sofisticated than a kettle up until now.

Or links to instructions on 'basic' use of a stove top?

Am I still allowed to use milk and sugar, or is it black, straight out of the pot?

I've used a bialetti and lavazza coffee combo for years - makes perfect espresso. don't put milk in it! Black only add the milk later it's an espresso machine not a cappucino machine (unless you have bough the special one not the basic model).

Have a look at the earlier posts in this thread, just keep it low and slow and move off the heat when it starts gurgling then give it a stir when done. Don't use detergent when cleaning, just give it a rinse and wipe and ideally dry it on the heat for a few minutes too.

Drink it how you like but I wouldn't add anything until it's in your mug.

Inspired by this thread, I went to dig out my old Bialetti from the cupboard last night only to find it had been thrown out during a spring clean session a little while ago. So I'm off to pick up a replacement from the local Whittards shop, along with something interesting to brew in it :)

jonno40 said:
Inspired by this thread, I went to dig out my old Bialetti from the cupboard last night only to find it had been thrown out during a spring clean session a little while ago. So I'm off to pick up a replacement from the local Whittards shop, along with something interesting to brew in it :)

I got mine here http://www.procook.co.uk/?offerDetails=344 as we have a local branch. It's only a cheap one but does the job.

Northam Saint said:
jonno40 said:

I got mine here http://www.procook.co.uk/?offerDetails=344 as we have a local branch. It's only a cheap one but does the job.

Going to get one of those, at that price it's a better deal than my local place. Thanks for the info :)

My cheap Bialetti turned up last week. Finally.
Horrible condition, took lots of scrubbing and a couple of boils with bicarb then a couple of runs with sacrificial coffee.
Yes I know you're not meant to wash them, but this one needed it. I've only rinsed with water since I scrubbed it. Looks and smells much better now.

In hindsight, they are only £18 brand new from Bialetti via Amazon, I wish I had done my research before purchase.

Had my first proper coffee from it at weekend, tasted.... different. I'm just used to Gold Blend, never really had any other proper coffee, so this will take some getting used to.
But the pot looks cool on my brand new (literally finished installing on Monday) kitchen and hob. I like the preparation and ritual of it. And the smell, WOW, Lavazza is lovelly.

But here's my tip. If you have just opened a packet of ground coffee and decide to put in in an empty Nescafe jar, make sure you don't leave it next to the actual Nescafe jar or your builders may find their coffee taste a bit funny.
Yep, two workmen tried using ground coffee as instant. Luckily the 5 sugars masked some of the taste.

And found an old glass filter caffettiere (sp) thing. Gave it a wash out and have been using it to froth milk. My kids now love frothed milk in their milkshakes and hot chocolates. Will give it a try in coffee at weekend. Not sure what that makes it, a cappucino? You can tell I'm new to all this.

Back
Top Bottom