Summertime is over.

hunnymonster said:
cheese_dave said:
... reflective armbands to wear.

Oh, reflective armbands - I thought you meant inflatable ones as used to train swimming young'uns - wondered how that would help for walking to school :D

I think the school kid's in New Orleans had to wear them for a while.

At this time of year, one of my jobs is to visit primary schools and give them a few pointers in how not to get run over. I am currently trying to obtain some funds to distribute the aforementioned armbands. I am favouring tabards, tell the weans that they are 'workies' Still, if it works once!!!
On a similar vein, high horse, if i had a quid for every parent who asks me " Does the law say my kids bike REALLY needs lights for the dark?" Aaaagh!
It's got that bad i got flyers printed explaining the minimum requirements. When I give them one they still look at me as if I'm mental! My parting shot is
"Well, you don't want him denting anyone's car, do you" One parent said "No, I wouldn't, could be dear" :shock: :shock: :shock:

I used to be concerned when I saw a car full of fag smoke and the fat kids rattling around the seats without proper restraint, now I must say the opposite is true and it just warms my heart.

If they are that stupid...

antdad said:
I used to be concerned when I saw a car full of fag smoke and the fat kids rattling around the seats without proper restraint, now I must say the opposite is true and it just warms my heart.

Yup - Darwinism in action - sadly there's never just one of them, so they're obviously using the 'rabbit' approach to spreading their genes.

antdad said:

It's the parents that are stupid. The children concerned either know nothing different or are unable to stand up to their neglectful parents.

I know your post is probably slightly tongue-in-cheek, but I worked for team of social workers for some time and all the problems basically stem from the parents. And their parents before them. And their parents before them.............. :cry:

too right Pigster

Trouble is there's kids having kids - the parents live like teenagers, drinking and smoking and shagging and only working temp or pt

We need more adults (not boring, strict etc just mature adults) who are, on the whole, sober, responsible, stable people capable of bringing up children with real love -- which includes disciple, commitment and respect for boundaries

You need lessons and a license for a car but not for a kid (in fact, "getting" one will get a girl a flat and some purpose/meaning her empty life - it's so shallow and short-term and selfish)

I'd sterilise everyone and only "undo" it if they seemed nice, intelligent and economically viable.

I used to be a liberal you know . . .

I agree that a lot of society's problems stem from a culture of over-grown kids masquerading as adults - and parents :eek: Many parents seem to want to be 'friends' with their children, which is not in my opinion a healthy way to be. It implies a lack of responsibility towards them.

Some of the major abuse/neglect problems I've seen unfortunately stem from the parent's own childhood, and the solution seems to be about breaking the cycle. Not easy with lack of funding and facilities. Children are taken in to care with great reluctance and as a last resort. Anyway, I'm way OT now so stop me if you wish. I am not a social worker, only ever an administrator to a SW team, so I am no expert on these matters. :?

Pig Cat said:
I agree that a lot of society's problems stem from a culture of over-grown kids masquerading as adults - and parents :eek: Many parents seem to want to be 'friends' with their children, which is not in my opinion a healthy way to be. It implies a lack of responsibility towards them.

Some of the major abuse/neglect problems I've seen unfortunately stem from the parent's own childhood, and the solution seems to be about breaking the cycle. Not easy with lack of funding and facilities. Children are taken in to care with great reluctance and as a last resort. Anyway, I'm way OT now so stop me if you wish. I am not a social worker, only ever an administrator to a SW team, so I am no expert on these matters. :?

And that's the uncomfortable truth of the matter. I blame gangsta rap myself.

It'd beginning to sound like the letter page from the Daily Mail.

Couldn't disagree with you more gents...my comments were genuinely heartfelt not because I hate kids but because those parents who mistreat their children will ultimately get the kids they deserve.

So you've managed to procreate and squirt out a few kids and now they are your entire world. Do you think it was always thus? Who says that fathering 10 kids by different women and letting the state look after them isn't the best way of doing things irrespective of how you think they should be brought up, maybe they are the smart ones?

It wasn't that long ago that child birth was precarious and you had to have more than six kids to ensure one or two would survive and that is what it is all about my friends, survival and procreation. You need a good mix of the young, dumb and pregnant to oil the wheels, I agree with the Rev on one point, a cold injection in the leg would stop the cycle but who would want that?

I just look at the council estates in my parish (and they are by no means the roughest or poorest) and see people with few aspirations, many happy (seemingly) to live off the state and drift through life in a stupid and selfish way.

I don't know, I'm a middle class, post-graduate who tries to live a careful moral and ethical life and who has an overdraft and depression; maybe I'm just envious of them!

Exactly! my dear Rev. You have to ask yourself why you feel that way.

The way they live is not stupid to them as they have bred and survived quite easily with the help of the state and as parents we are all guilty of being ultimately DNA selfish. I wouldn't be envious either as their lives are often chaotic and stressful in other ways and they will have no appreciation of real pleasure which is the result of culture,education and status which you have.

antdad said:
Exactly! my dear Rev but it's not stupid to them and as parents we are all guilty of being ultimately DNA selfish.

Who's selfish?! In my youth I was willing to donate my DNA to any young ladies that would have it. Unfortunately I had very few takers!! :cry:

Pig Cat said:
Who's selfish?! In my youth I was willing to donate my DNA to any young ladies that would have it. Unfortunately I had very few takers!! :cry:

You is, because you kept trying albeit unsuccessfully by your own admission. :D

Old Thread Revival Time!

More daylight in the winter!

It seems there is a campaign gathering a head of steam to move our clocks an hour forward (i.e. not to move them an hour back).

Advantages: safter roads, better health, lower energy use / carbon emissions etc etc.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lighterlater.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lighterlater.org/</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom