Summertime is over.

I thought Partridge was funny on that radio show they had way back when, and funny when he just had the sports slot on The Day Today, but when he had his own show it was a bit like too much of a good thing, you know?

Too much Partridge?! :eek:

I find him a real tonic this time of year. Especially when lack of sunlight is seriously frigging up my serotonin levels. Bloody Scottish farmers :evil: - they make pigs smoke and feed swans with hamburgers.

Naked Ape said:
Especially when lack of sunlight is seriously frigging up my serotonin levels.

Tell me - exactly how sunny has it been in the last 24 hours?

Clue from the Met Office: 24 hours ending 2100 on 2 Nov 09: (West Midlands) Sunniest 6.3 hours Coleshill (as a comparison Leuchars in Fife had 6.2 hours)

How does the clock change how much of that you saw? By your adherence to whatever norm you have for getting up and going to bed (and because presumably you work indoors). DST/Timezone is the biggest cop out for "it's not sunny in Winter" - it's Britain, it rains in all 4 seasons, it's less sunny in the Winter because it's winter, not because the clocks are set to a particular time, you want your seratonin levels to go up, get up when the sun rises rather than when the clock tells you to.

I can see you're obviously quite passionate about the subject, HM (what are the shipping forecasts like for today, out of interest?). Not too bothered about your mileage, but I'd much prefer to inhabit a time zone where the afternoons - in terms of light - are a bit longer.

Anyone remember Tony Ferrino? I still sing those songs . . . .

As for time zones, serotonin, etc, it looks like you're outvoted Hunny.

What do we want? Independence for England! When do we want it? Whenever the queue gets us there. (No, after you.)

Naked Ape said:
I can see you're obviously quite passionate about the subject, HM (what are the shipping forecasts like for today, out of interest?). Not too bothered about your mileage, but I'd much prefer to inhabit a time zone where the afternoons - in terms of light - are a bit longer.

Not really - but the idea of using a non-local timezone to get sheeple a brighter afternoon when they could equally leave the f£%$£$^ clocks alone and just get up an hour earlier irritates me greatly (as do weather forecasters describing rain and snow as "miserable weather" - get a proper f£%$£$^ coat and stop being miserable).

Phew, for a moment there I thought I was going to get flamed for my "too much Partridge" post, but it seems I'm in the clear and we're back on topic for GMT/BST.

I seem to remember going to school with armbands on in the winter when I was a weeny dot, didn't they try not changing the clocks one year? I suspect too many curtains were ruined though.

:cry:

I'm not making it up. It was called the British Standard Time experiment, from 1968 to 1972. You all owe me £5.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/british-time/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/british-time/</a><!-- m -->

Don't read that www though, it's astonishingly boring.

Can someone explain something for me?

If we left the clocks and didnt turn them back, would it not be darker in the morning, even till gone 8am at some times meaning that people when half asleep would be traveling to work in the dark kids cycling to school in the dark etc etc.. now I may be in a minority here but I am still half asleep when i leave the house in the morning.

Cut a long story short would we just not be adding the extra death toll to the morning hours instead of the evening meaning there is no realy benefit apart from those of us who like it lighter in the evening. Me it doesn't matter either way.

While reading up about the British Standard Time experiment, one of the things that stopped it in its tracks was the increase in child deaths on the roads due to exactly that darkness in the mornings. Which is why -fanfare- we were given reflective armbands to wear. And then they realised that a reflective armband wouldn't stop three quarters of a ton of vehicle moving at 30 mph, so they stopped the experiment.

Back
Top Bottom