Swearing.......do you speak it?

I swore at an office bod at work a few weeks ago. After 3 months of being misled and lied to by Mr Cocky, I finally flipped. He heard choice words. Normally I wouldn't raise my voice, and lower myself by getting mad at a jobsworth tool, but having to drive a 100 mile roundtrip on my day off due to his ineptitude, caused me to flip.

He portrays himself as Mr big tough ex squaddie, but after a 30 second tirade of abuse I thought he was going to cry.
I have since had a full apology, from his manager, relating to problem I had been trying to resolve.

Another driver was having the same problem as me but was using the nicety nice approach. His issue hadn't been resolved.

geordie sam said:
The worst part of swearing to me is when it's done by parents in front of and often at their children,and I'm not talking about the odd word slipping out,I'm talking full blooded effing and worst of all c'ing in front of their kids,with absolutely no shame at all,they don't even know it's wrong.
And these children will go on to have their own kids and the whole cycle goes on and on and gets bigger all the time.
The chav culture and chav society is growing and expanding.

Sam.

You really see this at the school I work in. A lot of kids come from a really deprived area of Torquay (South Devon, surprisingly, has some very deprived and poverty stricken areas).

Sadly there are some real behavioural and social problems associated with that and using swearwords as part of normal language is just one of them.

It's a real eye opener. You wouldn't think there would be anyone who would just have kids as a career option (to get more child benefit) and not give a toss about them at all (send them to school unwashed and unfed and not turn up for anything their child is involved with like fashion shows or concerts).

Yes. Quite a lot. Especially when I'm annoyed or frustrated, which, at the moment, appears to be about 80% of the time that I'm awake.

Ian

Re: RE: Swearing.......do you speak it?

dodgy said:
Then there is this sad thought:

That's a few less kittens. Hate cats the pesky things keep shitting in my garden. Oops there goes another. Bugger. Oh dang and blast.

A lot depends on the situation.

With children around, I wouldn't swear...it's uncomfortable on a bus when someone gets on and is swearing away every other word. If you say anything to them you are likely to get a tirade of abuse or lamped.
Round our way there are two play parks, one middle class, the other on a council estate. The middle class one hardly has any swearers and even the graffitti is pretty sedate, but on the estate playpark even the little kids are effing and blinding which is pretty sad.

At work - never in front of outsiders, but with people who know me then i can let forth a real tirade about the latest c*ckup, then excuse myself by saying it really brings on my Tourette's. Most people need some sort of release mechanism and you just need to unwind then get stuck into fixing things.

Hmmm, I can't help thinking something must be up with John. I would have guessed he'd have a few words to say on this subject.

dodgy said:
antdad said:
Used in the correct and proper context it can be poetic, humorous especially when no other word(s) will do, spat out machine gun like and it looses all potency.

Yep, you're right there. I believe swearing can also still make situations uncomfortable because there are some people really offended by hearing certain words no matter what the context is.

Far as words being used like an automatic weapon goes, maybe some of you Limeys aren't familiar with the HBO series called Deadwood. Here's a 'best of' video to sorta cleanse everyone's audio palate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj74tvkFDZI

No idea how many of you know the history of Deadwood South Dakota. Pretty nuts mining town that was a no holds barred kinda place around the 1880s. This series is a bit on the 'gritty' side, as you may have figured.

I got the DVD's of Deadwood I think they must have been planning to do another series then it fell through because there were loads of unfinished storylines. For some great profanity on British TV watch The Thick of It.

I used to be a Boilermaker in the shipyards,if you didn't swear you we're thought of as strange,some of the lads if you took out the swear words would not have uttered 300 words in the whole day, and it can get a bit tiring,but now I have my own catering business and I deal with the public every day it's a different story.

Sam.

geordie sam said:
I used to be a Boilermaker in the shipyards,if you didn't swear you we're thought of as strange,some of the lads if you took out the swear words would not have uttered 300 words in the whole day, and it can get a bit tiring,but now I have my own catering business and I deal with the public every day it's a different story.

Sam.

Like you Sam I served my apprenticeship in a shipyard as a Boilermaker, where it was just accepted. Though it was never bought outside, the old fellers would soon give you a mouthful and a dig if you got a bit loud on the bus going home, especially if there were women on the bus.
Luckily I only worked there for six and a half years.
I was also raised never to swear in front of women and children, though some of the women in the dock canteens could make the dockers blush.

Unfortunately I'm prone to the odd outburst when driving, especially when Mr f...in knobhead pulls out on me. Oh and when secure parking at Manchester Airport lost my keys and asked me if I had a spare one on me when I'd just come back from Italy. I then went into full Tourettes mode in their office with the door open.

I'm still doing my best to train myself not to swear in any circumstances - I have still to this day never heard my father swear and I have to admit I admire his strength of will for it. I started a swear box in the workshop - 10p a go - to do a bit of neural reprogramming which seems to have worked on us all.
I've never sworn in front of the kids though which I'm quite proud of.

In a car on my own - swear like stoker.

Count of Undolpho said:
I'm still doing my best to train myself not to swear in any circumstances - I have still to this day never heard my father swear and I have to admit I admire his strength of will for it. I started a swear box in the workshop - 10p a go - to do a bit of neural reprogramming which seems to have worked on us all.
I've never sworn in front of the kids though which I'm quite proud of.

In a car on my own - swear like stoker.

You missed your calling, I'm thinking social worker or catholic priest second thoughts I take back the catholic priest as they swear drink and they would fuck a frog if it stopped hopping.

Years ago I was a call centre worker, working in debt recover for the largest gas company in the U.K. Almost every single day I was sworn at or threatened, there could indeed be a link there. Of course no matter how provoked you never replied, I was even told by someone they were coming it the office to stab me. They duly came in the office and asked for me, I trotted down and spoke to him with a security guard and he was as nice as pie. Bit scary at first though.

So my advice is if someone is swearing at you, talk slightly slower and lower your volume. It's very hard for people to continue swearing and shouting at you when you do that.

Back
Top Bottom