Swearing.......do you speak it?

dodgy said:
Gairdner said:
No, but I'll keep an eye out for it......;)

Heh, that's one of em. Lemme see if I can splain this other joke delicately.

It has to do with a prostitute with an eye made outta wood and her john, who has a facial issue.

The punch line is the guy saying excitedly "Would I"!! and the hooker misunderstanding what he meant, then gets pissed and yells 'Hairlip" back at him.

Heard that one?

Sorry Marty, I have to correct you, the last but one line was 'Wouldn't I' and the punch line was 'well F*** off C*** face'

tonyspurs said:
I don't use swear words at home but when I'm with the Lads at Spurs a few profanities slip out!:blush:
But on a more serious note my Wife and I are Foster Carers and when you have a 10 year old in your house calling you a F**g C **T and telling you to F**k Off you realise the damage swearing can cause to youngsters exposed to it on a daily basis as that's the only way they can communicate their emotions,and although we are aware of this it doesn't make it any easier to hear:icon_sad:

Is it really swearing that's doing the damage?

Surely, if the child wants to make an issue out of something, they will use whatever is the norm to them - whether that is callling you hateful/ prat/ moron/pervert/bastard etc. is besides the point. it's the child that's damaged, not the language used.

UKRob said:
Heard that one?

Sorry Marty, I have to correct you, the last but one line was 'Wouldn't I' and the punch line was 'well F*** off C*** face'

[/quote]

Oh, I liked your wording much better. Heh, felt strange not dragging that joke out, but the G man got the jist of it and I was lazy.

Swearing really strongly ( f word and c word) in front of your children is becoming the norm for the growing underclass in this country,I hear it on a daily basis and to be honest it's utterly disgusting,and as I said earlier they (the underclass) don't even know there is anything wrong in doing it,it is just how these people are.They could not tell you the name of the prime minister,all they do is watch Jeremy Kile on TV and think this is how to live.Absolute scum.

Sam.

Re: RE: Swearing.......do you speak it?

geordie sam said:
Swearing really strongly ( f word and c word) in front of your children is becoming the norm for the growing underclass in this country,I hear it on a daily basis and to be honest it's utterly disgusting,and as I said earlier they (the underclass) don't even know there is anything wrong in doing it,it is just how these people are.They could not tell you the name of the prime minister,all they do is watch Jeremy Kile on TV and think this is how to live.Absolute scum.

Sam.

I agree mate. I see it on a daily basis.

It's hard to bite your tongue sometimes. It just makes me want to make sure that when I have a family I raise them right.

Geordie Sam, well, you never cease to surprise!:icon_lol:
In answer to Marilyn's question. I have a weird thing going on whereby I meet brand new people, and as I feel a bond growing and feel we're connecting and like each other, then I start to pepper my conversation with lots of 'feckins' and 'bloodies'. It's my way of saying 'I like you, I think you're a person something like me'. Unfortunately, the sight of the horror filing their eyes only spurs me on to greater efforts.
So yeah, at 95 years of age, I'm still working on the whole Appropriate/Inappropriate thing.
SirPrize; I am actually shocked.:icon_eek: The activities to which you refer are precisely when the use of certain words should NOT be used - etymology notwithstanding. You surely know that?

fancontroller said:
My favourite at the moment is ball-ache, is that swearing?

Now that one is a tough nut to crack. Sounds worse than it really is, and that term did make me smile. Painful but not obscene. So no, it's not swearing........bawdy maybe. Jeeez, is 'bawdy' still in existence?

Johnus said:
Wasn't he that French Play-write who always looked like he needed a haircut and shave??

I believe you are thinking of the guy named Ballsack. You probably have seen it before but pronounced it wrong. It's Swedish you know.

soapalchemist said:
In answer to Marilyn's question. I have a weird thing going on whereby I meet brand new people, and as I feel a bond growing and feel we're connecting and like each other, then I start to pepper my conversation with lots of 'feckins' and 'bloodies'.

What's cookin Toots,

So I don't speak UK English very well as you know. Those two examples you gave are just sorta like minor swears aren't they? Not like saying the real F word is it? Nahhh, I think you are too polite to actually swear for real with people you just met.

Your favorite Yanker,

Mabs

tonyspurs said:
I don't use swear words at home but when I'm with the Lads at Spurs a few profanities slip out!:blush:
But on a more serious note my Wife and I are Foster Carers and when you have a 10 year old in your house calling you a F**g C **T and telling you to F**k Off you realise the damage swearing can cause to youngsters exposed to it on a daily basis as that's the only way they can communicate their emotions,and although we are aware of this it doesn't make it any easier to hear:icon_sad:

I've got a good mate from work who has been to spurs all his life with his boy

He always taught him what is said at football stays at football

Hey Mary,
You is right. I only swear for real in the privacy of my own car....and no doubt cause the same reaction in cars all around me. There's something about driving...........
I think it's a case of how high your tolerance level is with swearing; being from Ireland, mine is quite high, as long as the swearing isn't directed at someone. Having said that, many people in Ireland would find even the mildest of swear words highly offensive. My step mother fell over in the kitchen once when I was a teenager, and screeched 'Fizz it'; probably the closest she's ever come to swearing. Whereas to call someone a 'Cute whore' and use the 'F' word (with a U) every second word, is par for the course in many places.
I guess the main point of swearing is to add emphasis; in terms of swearing in passing, as opposed to swearing at people, then I suppose it's a case of gauging your audience......working on that one. :s
Tonyspurs, I can so hear what you're saying. The saddest thing is the rage that the child is feeling. What to do? I'm sure you and your partner do all that can be done. And after that, fingers crossed.

Why, you little ...

No ... Well, if work doesn't count ... or at home ... and since I don't go out much nowadays I don't swear much in puplic, if I'm not there, that is.

I'm a computer programmer and work on problems almost every day. Problems can drive you demented, and I often vent in the direction of my computer monitor.

A gal who sit beside me in the office reported me years ago when I called the computer a 'See You Next Tuesday'. The boss had a giggle about it as he slapped my hand, but it can back to bite me a while after when the big boss got wind of it and gave me a tongue lashing.

I do enjoy swearing to accentuate my feelings, but I've a bad habit of not having any tact sometimes.

Yeah i swear way too much! Very explicit sometimes i don't hold back from the f'ing and c'nting! Only people i don't swear in front of are my parents, and i try not to swear loads in front of women as its not gentlemanly, haha.

soapalchemist said:
being from Ireland, mine is quite high, as long as the swearing isn't directed at someone. Having said that, many people in Ireland would find even the mildest of swear words highly offensive.

Aye.. that's how we roll here.

I work for an American company. One of the American lads is over and he's amused at how much we curse and swear in the office. He said it would be taboo back in the states (the parent company is based in the bible belt).

I do let the odd f in front of the young lad, on a fairly regular basis.. no different than my own father would have back in the day in front of me... t'is no big deal... I didn't turn out half bad and would consider myself an honest, decent, respectful fella.

Worked in a State facility before retirement . If you used any neg language in ear shot of a client/resident, even if not directed to them, it was grounds for discipline, fines, or discharge.

Back
Top Bottom