tallow content warning code?

One of the best shaving products EVER (IMHO) is the Palmolive shave stick. I took one with me on holiday this past summer and came back looking better than ever. My skin never felt so good - honestly. I know the scent doesn't do much for most, but neither is it offensive. On the contrary it is quite bearable. It lathers in an instant and the stick itself lasts ages.

I have always had the Gut version. I should say that the ingredients have had some minor variations over the years but the experience has been pretty much the same each time.

colgate stick, that supposedly went the way of the dodo with ww2...

Oddly I DID see an amazon seller with an add selling Palmolive classic men shave stick, and it did have the big Gut 2,2 label on the dark green box.

I used the Australian version a couple of years ago. It's not as good as the UK version. I didn't know as much about tallow at the time, but it certainly lacks something, which could be tallow.

Gut 2,2 was something to do with a German review or test in the distant past.

That's all
'Stiftung Warentest', the German equivalent to 'Which' did a test of shaving gels/foams/creams/soaps in 2004.
Ratings in their tests are as follows:
0.5-1.5 Very good
1.6-2.5 Good
2.6-3.5 Satisfactory
3.6-4.5 Adequate
4.5-5.5 Bad
Note that Germans use a comma instead of a decimal point. So the result was 'Good 2.2'... the lower end of 'good'.
German manufacturers like to put their test results on their packaging (only if good or very good).
I had a look at the original test and Palmolive was the only soap in the test. Although Colgate seem to be pleased with the result, their soap came last out of 17 products. Tester complained that you needed a brush to use it :D:D
All products were marked 'Good', the winner scoring 1.7: Nivea for Men shaving foam... :rolleyes:
The test also mentions that Colgate changed the formulation of the soap a month after the test. So they advertised the test result for the old version on the packaging of the reformulated soap. Cheeky.

Not tried Palmolive yet: it seems to be pretty cheap though so may try a stick of it. I am not one to subscribe to the tallow makes a better soap though. I have some great tallow soap like Phoenix and Beau but my favourite soap is Wickham's which is vegetal and every bit as slick as the tallow soaps I have as is Nanny's Signature (nearly but not quite as good as Wickham for me but still excellent)

id love to see how the American soaps and creams would perform on that test.... really open eyes up I would think.

Back
Top Bottom