Teach Me About Turkish Coffee

From my very limited experience, which is largely putting the term "turkish coffee" into eBay and then into YouTube, I found myself with a packet of Mehmet Efendi which appears by far the most popular.

I go with one heaped teaspoon and an espresso cup of cold water into my ibrik and it takes a mere couple of minutes in total to warm through and then "grow". Pour off the foamy top, return to the heat and pour off the remainder. Let it sit for 30 seconds or so before sipping. Cleanse palate first with a swig of water - fizzy, for me.

I tried it first in a small milk pan, but brewing just one tiny cup was not satisfactory in such a large pan. Buying in the ibrik as well is the right thing to do. I went with an extra small, which is just on the small side for one espresso cup - fill about 2/3 full to allow for the growth of the foam. Buying again, I'd go with the small size as I do like a larger espresso and my cup full.

I bought my clobber from turkish-zone (UK) and the cup from turkishhomegoods (Turkey). The cup is small - it's actually correct for the extra small ibrik. I don't actually use it much as I like a larger cup and so Italian style espresso cups are my usual. If you're going for the full Turkish experience, the extra small ibrik with one of those cups will do well, otherwise go for the small sized ibrik for Italian style espresso cups.

How's that?

Well... Not bad!

There is many different ways how to make goood turkish coffee. Some will tell you that hot, boiling water goes on coffee, the other one will tell you that coffee go to boiling water. Someone will put sugar in water before coffee, someone will tell you you put suggar just before you drink your coffee.

Experiment and find the right way for you!

P.S. When I was kid, my mom said me that you put one spoon of coffee per persone and one for the džezva, how we call ibrik. [emoji6]

And when you put coffee into the water you will need to wait that coffee "grows" 3 times. [emoji6]

Enjoy!

Here's the detail ...

DSC09708.JPG

DSC09709.JPG

... and they say the grind should be fine enough to see a fingerprint! Can you see a fingerprint? :)

DSC09710.JPG

I shall try it out for my first cup tomorrow morning.

That's the idea! My espresso machine morning coffee is Lavazza Cream e Gusto, which is 70% robusta. It's like drinking last night's ash tray! Love it! :D

Right! Let's give this Croatian coffee a go ...

It's okay. Not actually as strong-tasting as the Mehmet Effendi that I also have, but it's a nice coffee. Not as thick crema. Yeah, nice.

Last edited:
Turkish coffee as I do it in week-ends (as it takes time) - freshly ground manually, slowly brewed, boiled to foam gently 3-4 times, few drops of cold water to help gritty stuff sediment and preserve the kaimak; optionally a bit of vanilla and rum.
Sorry, the pot (ibrik, it has be made of copper) is made in Armenia (couldn't find a proper Turkish one)

IMG_6174.jpg

IMG_6175.jpg

IMG_6177.jpg

Best to to be done on tray with sand.

Greetings

I am a coffee newbie but have already learnt of the vast differences in styles and types of coffee.

A couple of years ago I had a superb meal in a Turkish restaurant on the south coast, there were several elderly Turkish men in the place drinking coffee I said to the waiter "May we have a cup of the same coffee as those chaps are drinking, the local Turkish stuff" The waiter replied to my surprise, "Certainly but I'm almost certain you will hate it, if I'm right just leave it and I will make you a proper coffee" His reply surprised me and made me more determined than ever to try it which I did and I hated it as did the lady I was with; strong and bitter as hell, I added sugar and I do not take sugar but that just made it sweet and bitter. The waiter made me a nice espresso and said to me "I think it's evil, most of the younger Turkish men drink espresso"

Regards
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom