Thayers Witch hazel

I'd never heard of this item but notice a few people are using regularly after their SOTD, so I'd like to ask if you are using the aftershave product or the toner version and how you rate each, especially if anyone has used both.

I'm looking at it for a dual purpose, to calm my neck down post shave and also to try and make the skin on my neck look a little less 'patchy' overall.

Thats why I'm wondering if the toner might be a better bet for what I want from it.

I usually shave in the evening and am thinking the lavender toner might be a good bet, but I'm interested to hear thoughts and personal reviews.

Hiya,

Can't say that I've tried Thayers, but it always sounded like something I might like. There's a version of that stuff that's alcohol free I believe, and the lack of burn appeals to me. Heh, of course some people like feeling the sting, which is pretty crazy but true. Same holds true with those goofy guys who love the menthol freeze.....what is up with that?

I'd recommend Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic for a very mild and pleasant aftershave with a slight orangy/citrus scent that goes away in 10 seconds. No burn to this at all.

Martin

To be fair Martin the toners and AS barely raise a tickle with their low alcohol content, my preference is the straight scent free toner but I liked the cucumber and lemon. I just didn't like the feel or scent of the AS at all.

dodgy said:
I'd recommend Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic for a very mild and pleasant aftershave with a slight orangy/citrus scent that goes away in 10 seconds. No burn to this at all.

Martin

Haven't heard of that one either but it also looks good, no sting/aloe ingredients etc.

antdad said:
I just didn't like the feel or scent of the AS at all.

Ah - so you've tried the aftershave and were not a fan?

barlines said:
dodgy said:

Martin

Haven't heard of that one either but it also looks good, no sting/aloe ingredients etc.

Yep, all natural ingredients, and it's my favorite warm weather aftershave. It's quite light and feels like water when applied. It's also nice because there's no residual scent to conflict with a cologne or EdT.

Martin

Oh yeah, if you order some, you might ask for a sample of the Lucky Tiger SC. Nice stuff with the same scent as the Face Tonic.

All of Professor Blighty's aftershaves can be ordered with either alcohol or witch hazel.
I have both the Sandalwood and Harlequin witch hazel variants - excellent!

As well as soothing I'm after something that maybe improves the look of my skin on my neck if that exists - When I first regularly used the DE it irritated a lot due completely to my ham fisted technique, it is much better now and maybe in time my skin will reflect that on my neck, I'd just like to give it a bit of a hand if I can and take out the blotching I get after my shave.

I'd noticed a few mention the Speick AS, but again I've never heard of La Toja - another one for me to google.

I must admit I've never been one for the whole 'apres shave' thing but I can feel myself dedicating another shelf in the bathroom cabinet in due time!

Get a 150ml bottle of Strictly Professional Witch Hazel from flea bay for three quid, this is a stock scentless witch hazel toner at 10% proof.

If it works for you and you like the idea of flavoured versions try Thayers, other manufacturers are available.

Alcohol based A/S causes my face to errupt in red blotches, however witch hazel has never caused any probs. Really like the Prof B witch hazel as long as I remember to shake vigorously before application (I believe that's true for any witchy hazel splash). It's a gr8 mild astringent and skin cleanser I've found.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

La Toja is, btw, alcohol based - but doesn't really sting (unlike Floid, for instance) and soothes fine. Also you can't beat 150ml of this goodness for €5.60!

I've got the Thayers cucumber witch hazel which is quite lovely. Very soothing and it smells wonderful.

I only bought it for my wife as she had some minor skin irritation around her nose which we thought might have been to do with excess oils, (it worked) but I have a little go apres-shave once in a while and it does leave a nice matte finish on the skin without any dryness, it feels very good.

Only downside is it's relatively expensive for a witch hazel, but it's actually pretty cheap compared to other aftershave splashes.

Back
Top Bottom