Thayers Witch hazel

Apart from being an astringent and skin toner, witch hazel is well known to soothe skin irritation - back in the days before high factor sun creams were available, many people used it to soothe sun burn.

I recently started to use it after alum and prior to an after shave balm and have found a noticeable improvement in the reduction of red skin blotches - I have suffered from these for as long as I can remember regardless of which shaving regime used so I wish I'd thought of using witch hazel before.

I use the product. But I also use Lucky Tiger. Which one do I like the best? Mechanically both work well. Which one do I like better? I'd go with Lucky Tiger AS just because of the fragrance and the 'smoother' feeling it has going on.
The Lucky Tiger shave cream is also ever nice.

Johnus said:
I use the product. But I also use Lucky Tiger. Which one do I like the best? Mechanically both work well. Which one do I like better? I'd go with Lucky Tiger AS just because of the fragrance and the 'smoother' feeling it has going on.
The Lucky Tiger shave cream is also ever nice.

Never tried Thayers but Lucky Tiger is we'll " GGGGRRRReat" !!!!!!!

I dip in and out of using witch hazel. I have used Thayers Superhazel, Thayers WH w/Aloe and the Witch Hazel aftershave.

The aftershave stings like high hell. More than any other splash on aftershave including Old Spice Lime and the scent is bland.

The Superhazel and Aloe varieties are good and work well to soothe the skin. Truth is though that I'm not convinced it makes that much of a difference.

I used the Thayers original witch hazel with aloe vera and found it to be very sticky after application. I used the medicated super hazel version today but made sure I only used a small amount before my AS and found this slightly sticky too. My skin was blotchy as hell at the start of DE shaving but after a few weeks as my technique improved it cleared up and went on to look better than it ever did since I started shaving. Persevere and try not to clog your skin up with too much product. I don't see the need for witch hazel followed by ASB followed by AS to be honest as the AS is the most astringent and I find it polishes my face nicely on its own. Again at the start I felt my face was on fire every time I used AS but it calmed down again after a few weeks. Have a trawl through the AS section but don't be afraid to ask if anyone can send you a sample of something to try. There are a host of very reasonably priced everyday AS available most of which I had never heard of either! Bear in mind that AS is for calming and smoothing the face not so much for smell, that's cologne. Look out for Proraso, Speick, Old Spice Fresh Lime, Fonex and now I've read this I'm going to try La Toja!

Simmo Well, Ill throw another one in. I also found witch hazel sticky. My dear old man used pitralon, which is now made in Germany and Switzerland. When I decided to be cool I found the German stuff and liked it, nice scent a little sting. BUT I finally tracked down a bottle of Swiss, you cant beat it. If you do a nice shave no problem with sting. The scent is indescribable and it makes your face feel great. Old dad was a worldly kind of guy, Im not sure how he came upon it. I thank him though, great stuff!

Back
Top Bottom