The merkur futur

cheese_dave said:
Is anybody worried about the spring-loaded mechanism that holds the blade and the top head in place? I fear that after a few years' use, this may either fatigue and break, or simply become floppy (PigCat no).

I owned a Futur for over a year and the mechanism gave no indication of 'floppiness'. How it would have panned out if I'd kept it I can't be sure, but it certainly felt of a pretty good quality. I don't know how long they've been in production but I expect a search on a larger US-based forum would reveal if anyone's had any problems to date.

cheese_dave said:
Is anybody worried about the spring-loaded mechanism that holds the blade and the top head in place? I fear that after a few years' use, this may either fatigue and break, or simply become floppy (PigCat no).

That exact same thought occurred to me when I 1st received mine but equally I suspect that the wires (for lack of a better description) which could go would be easily replaced.

cheese_dave said:

There is a bit of give in mine. That's is after about 4 years use. I can twist the top part of the head slightly so that one end of the blade sits a little closer to the safety bar. It's not much, but I notice it and check it's aligned before use.

Also one edge of the blade sits closer than the other side, making one edge slightly more aggressive than the other.

well hopefully pick mine up from onotman 's safety razors place ...<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3&idcategory=3,,,on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk/shop/pc/v ... ory=3,,,on</a><!-- m --> wed/Thursday...sleek chrome model...this will be my 3rd but this time.....its a keeper...i have regretted getting rid of mine,,,but now i am sorted...(i hope)

Digging into the search function, to avoid starting a new thread..

I've just got this razor, after seeing it pop up frequently on the SOTD (good indication on its popularity)

Anything I should know? I'll give my first impressions over the weekend, because that's the first time I'll be able to take time to shave.

FB.

You should know that the feedback sound it gives out during shaving is pretty unique and characteristic.
You should also know that if you dare to set it at max (i.e. at setting "6") it is a pretty lethal cutting machine.
You should know it is a very nice and versatile tool, however kind of 'bulky' / 'hefty' and that some find it hard to shave with it delicately under the nose (because of its large head.)
Overall a very nice, effective and reliable razor.

FrenchBlade said:
Digging into the search function, to avoid starting a new thread..

I've just got this razor, after seeing it pop up frequently on the SOTD (good indication on its popularity)

Anything I should know? I'll give my first impressions over the weekend, because that's the first time I'll be able to take time to shave.

FB.

Personally I'd say get ready for the weight. It is probably the heaviest razor I've ever held.

I'd also suggest starting on a lower setting as it is pretty agressive. Wait till you turn it all the way up (you will out of curiosity trust me) you will see how agressive it can be however Im sure there are others on here will tell you other wise and to start higher up the scale. It's all up to you.

It is a very flexible razor and I wouldn't ever get rid of mine.

Dermot O'Logical said:
The changing of blades evokes some discussion, but it's no better or worse than any other razor

Well some people will play about with these things.

I have a Merkur HD and a Tech also and I don't find changing blades any more dangerous in the Futur.

The Futur is Superb, i use it all the time, i did a three pass shave last night with a UK Wilky Vintage Blade, Futur on 2.5 and St James Reserve Clarysage Cream, it was a bloody lovely shave, also changing the Blades is a piece of p**s !! so easy and not difficult or dangerous to anyone with the slightest bit of common sense :D :D

Lovely Razor, nice feel, weight, feedback.... :D

Steve

Well, tonight I was feeling lucky.. poped the Gillette Super Thin into the Futur, and tried to adjust it.. thinking it was still "open" of some sort.. :?
Hello blade-gap! :shock: I could probably fit a whole sandwich through that blade gap! :shock: I decide a 1.5 setting will be "Ok"

Anyhows, glad to not have been drinking tonight, I decide to go for it.. Whip up some of Nanny's latest Lime concoction, flopping it on my face with my B1.

I put the blade to my face. (yes, in this case we can say that we're putting the blade, not the razor to your face)
Simple first pass (WTG) on the cheeks, all gone, I move to my chin and there disaster strikes, the foam turns red... :|

Other side, I feel a nick, same thing.. damn! I turn the hostilities down to 1.0, but still it's a blood mess :cry:

I re lather to hide the red foam, but it soon reappears, I'm not giving up, I go XTG, and decapitate a mole.. damn!

And for finals, I do the bottom of my chin ATG (it's the only part I do ATG usually), no nicks this time.. :roll:

I wash my face with cold water, use a styptic pen that was kindly pifed to me, and stop all bleeding.

Wait a few minutes, rewash my face, no more bleeding, styptic is magic! I decide to stick with Nivea ASB, no AS tonight...

Overall first impressions, lovely heavy razor, I felt very manly using it :D It might have been an idea to load it with something more forgiving than a Super Thin..
The thing is, the parts of my face that weren't bleeding, have never been so well shaved, real BBS! :p

I'll try this one again over the weekend, but I can see how you could get away with a single pass shave with this razor once you've tamed the beast!

FB.

I enjoy the Futur with a Red IP set at 3.5 it is a really nice combination foir me and it is my holiday shave setting, perfect no irritation and I use a La Toja Stick with the Major to produce the prefect lather for it to glide over. I can shave every day for 14 days and not have a hint of a shaving rash, ( so a 5 pack last a fortnights vacation when changing the blades every three days).

I really recommend you try a Red IP and if you do not have some of this blade PM me and I will send you some, I promise it will be quicker than I sent the Super Thins ;)

The Futur is a good modern razor, mine was a Christmas gift from my wife and I will never sell mine. I use it for a month or so at a time then give it a good clean and use some Sterol mineral oil in the mechanisim and it has lasted for years without a hint of jamming or stiffness. It is a Mercedes of Razors, utilitarian and almost a little function over form but to some eyes the form is nice.

Back
Top Bottom