The Shaving Restraint (TSR) 2023

A thread from @Dave in KY elsewhere inspired me to create this thread.

I was admiring the den the other day. I've amassed quite the collection - vintage and modern. It grew significantly throughout COVID and then again through 2022. The collection has been my hobby during this period but I want to do some different things in 2023 and we're all facing the ever increasing cost of living. I'm fortunate to have tried and own all the things I could want in this game.

Shaving paraphernalia is an easy thing to buy for 'retail therapy'. I'm way past the point of needing anything. This thread is dedicated to using what I have in 2023 and not buying anything else. It's an open invitation for others to join me in the 'challenge'. I've made a few purchases in December 2022 that won't be delivered until January 2023 but these won't be counted in my challenge. The restraint for me will commence January 1st 2023.

I'll provide a monthly update here.

I am sort of heading down the same road. And am going to start seriously looking at items I never to rarely use. And move them on. Not necessarily for financial reasons but more for others to use them.

I’m certainly ok for a number of items and should just enjoy those. And I really do enjoy my shaving these days. So I’ll do my best to join Boycie in this.

For the sake of my health, both physically and financially speaking, I shall be joining this restraint. Either Matron will administer a fatal dose or I’ll be dragged off to the work house.

Blades are always a danger as far as spending is concerned and if there are any ridiculously good deals on The Fat, I will most likely cave but other than that, I shall aim to sell not buy.

So, what am I bid for one lightly soiled Matron with a goodly number of years of violent service left in her? I have no idea how many ‘owners’ but don’t forget the tortuous, self-invented, patent applied for, ah, equipment she also comes with. Sadomasochism is the new thing for 2023 so get ahead of the trend and let the bidding war commence!

I'm fortunate to have tried and own all the things I could want in this game.

So, over the next few years what will happen is ... you'll forget about them ... and then start to recollect what settle out as fond memories.

When I was into automotive detailing (and this bears very true for any obsessive collector) a chap called Mike Philips (then, of Meguiars) had a strapline "Find something you like and use it often".

Use what you have (now) and really get to know it.

I started accumulating things in 2010 and around 2016 I had a break from it all as big changes to work and personal life happened.
Came back to this forum last week after finally sorting through, photographing and recording everything I have.
It's a lot of stuff and some of it is to keep and try to preserve for the decades ahead, but there's also a lot I have sold, swapped or PIFed too, and there is a little capacity to get more things. My recent acquisitions under the excuse of Xmas have reawakened my desire to seek out more things, so it's unlikely I can join you guys on this journey.

In particular losing the 50p palmolive stick and the scarcity of super drug forest fresh means if there's anything cheap that I take for granted now is the time to stock myself up.
I reckon boots freshwood aftershave and palmolive cream would be a good place for me to start, so start I shall.

But until this month I've been on it myself for 6 years so I know that feeling and the reasons behind it.
Good luck all, and be sure to get out your favourite shaving items to admire if you ever get the urge to buy. It may help restrain and re-train :)

So, over the next few years what will happen is ... you'll forget about them ... and then start to recollect what settle out as fond memories.

When I was into automotive detailing (and this bears very true for any obsessive collector) a chap called Mike Philips (then, of Meguiars) had a strapline "Find something you like and use it often".

I started accumulating things in 2010 and around 2016 I had a break from it all as big changes to work and personal life happened.
Came back to this forum last week after finally sorting through, photographing and recording everything I have.
It's a lot of stuff and some of it is to keep and try to preserve for the decades ahead, but there's also a lot I have sold, swapped or PIFed too, and there is a little capacity to get more things. My recent acquisitions under the excuse of Xmas have reawakened my desire to seek out more things, so it's unlikely I can join you guys on this journey.

In particular losing the 50p palmolive stick and the scarcity of super drug forest fresh means if there's anything cheap that I take for granted now is the time to stock myself up.
I reckon boots freshwood aftershave and palmolive cream would be a good place for me to start, so start I shall.

But until this month I've been on it myself for 6 years so I know that feeling and the reasons behind it.
Good luck all, and be sure to get out your favourite shaving items to admire if you ever get the urge to buy. It may help restrain and re-train :)
Wise words gentlemen. Thank you.

Some time last year I received a present of "Harry's" brand toiletries, including shampoo, shaving gel, cartridge shaver and aftershave balm. Not really into gel so put it away for emergencies only. But then I thought, may as well use it up, especially as it didn't cost me anything, and if there's a real emergency one can always use/get a soap bar.... when I run out there's generally stuff available, maybe not a favourite brand and at inflationary prices, there's always a way to a shave!

I was admiring the den the other day. I've amassed quite the collection - vintage and modern. It grew significantly throughout COVID and then again through 2022. The collection has been my hobby during this period but I want to do some different things in 2023 and we're all facing the ever increasing cost of living. I'm fortunate to have tried and own all the things I could want in this game.

Shaving paraphernalia is an easy thing to buy for 'retail therapy'. I'm way past the point of needing anything. This thread is dedicated to using what I have in 2023 and not buying anything else. It's an open invitation for others to join me in the 'challenge'. I've made a few purchases in December 2022 that won't be delivered until January 2023 but these won't be counted in my challenge. The restraint for me will commence January 1st 2023.

Thanks for starting this here and I'm all in......as long as my ADHD is held at bay. I didn't post in the other neighborhood (Hey, who is you over there ? ) but a side reason is I'm trying to recoup funds for a daydream. My wife is against it which just encourages me more :unsure: Wanting to get some tree climbing gear to climb and cut down some bigger trees on the property I can't just fell. At nearly 60 and racked with arthritus and bad joints etc from a not so kind life I have no business doing it but I can't get the idea of conquering this out of my head. Having 2 sites I'm committed to will double my earnest desire to complete this which I will take 1 month at a time. I had a record and lasted 7 days last year :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

I tried to start something along these a few years ago, but it didn't really gain much traction, so good work on attempting to start something up again here Chris. I may well join you at some point, even if isn't for the entire duration of the year.

Regarding my purchase related activities, I largely took an absence of this hobby for a year or so, largely down to growing a beard! Since shaving it off I have been enjoying buying some new bits and pieces, and I started keeping a spreadsheet to document the gear I use (yes I know, it's an OCD thing for sure), and having it a look at it, made me well aware even though I have a lot of hardware/software, I seem to focus on a few time tested staples more than others. Which made me question, why do I continue to buy items which are most likely to be overlooked in favour of ones I am more likely to use. I sometimes question whether I am walking the fine line between an enthusiast or a hoarder!

I remember we had a discussion around then that often buying new gear was sometimes not about needing something, but down to other factors.

In keeping with the theme of restraint threads, I've noticed 'other' shaving forums sometimes have participation threads like 'Decemboar' (eg a focus on using boar brushes for the calendar month of December). They can be a great way to keep an interest in the hobby without buying new gear.

One last point, I recall from the B&B ones, the participation threads for not buying any gear, they have a few rules/exemption clauses, which may or may not be of interest, but if they are they might be worth looking out for. I recall, a few of the exemption clauses include if you have one brush or bottle of witch hazel or something, if it breaks or it if you finish it you are allowed to replace, or being allowed to still participate if you are gifted something.

Anyway, sorry if I rambled on and good luck to those who choose to participate in this noble project!

I tried to start something along these a few years ago, but it didn't really gain much traction, so good work on attempting to start something up again here Chris. I may well join you at some point, even if isn't for the entire duration of the year.

Regarding my purchase related activities, I largely took an absence of this hobby for a year or so, largely down to growing a beard! Since shaving it off I have been enjoying buying some new bits and pieces, and I started keeping a spreadsheet to document the gear I use (yes I know, it's an OCD thing for sure), and having it a look at it, made me well aware even though I have a lot of hardware/software, I seem to focus on a few time tested staples more than others. Which made me question, why do I continue to buy items which are most likely to be overlooked in favour of ones I am more likely to use. I sometimes question whether I am walking the fine line between an enthusiast or a hoarder!

I remember we had a discussion around then that often buying new gear was sometimes not about needing something, but down to other factors.

In keeping with the theme of restraint threads, I've noticed 'other' shaving forums sometimes have participation threads like 'Decemboar' (eg a focus on using boar brushes for the calendar month of December). They can be a great way to keep an interest in the hobby without buying new gear.

One last point, I recall from the B&B ones, the participation threads for not buying any gear, they have a few rules/exemption clauses, which may or may not be of interest, but if they are they might be worth looking out for. I recall, a few of the exemption clauses include if you have one brush or bottle of witch hazel or something, if it breaks or it if you finish it you are allowed to replace, or being allowed to still participate if you are gifted something.

Anyway, sorry if I rambled on and good luck to those who choose to participate in this noble project!
You are a born rambler but not as ‘gifted’ as me in that regard. But don’t apologise as I expect most of us really enjoy reading your posts. You’re certainly one of the ‘celebs’ around here. Who loves ya, baby?!

..Use what you have (now) and really get to know it...Absolutely...Since my vast Den clean out's 2020/ 2021 I still have more that what i need. My personal rule of thumb to myself is only purchase something major shave related if i desperately require it, which I don't, with the exception of my birthday & christmas and when I need a fresh bottle of high street witch hazel for my post-shave. Having too much of anything isn't a good thing, you don't have the time to use & appreciate it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom