The Shaving Restraint (TSR) 2023

Considering the money I've spent in a few short months here, I think this year I'll stick to blades and soaps/splashes and avoid buying any more razors. I do hanker for the "perfect" brush for me, but that may have to wait a while as I figure out what that looks like!

Thanks for starting this here and I'm all in......as long as my ADHD is held at bay. I didn't post in the other neighborhood (Hey, who is you over there ? ) but a side reason is I'm trying to recoup funds for a daydream. My wife is against it which just encourages me more :unsure: Wanting to get some tree climbing gear to climb and cut down some bigger trees on the property I can't just fell. At nearly 60 and racked with arthritus and bad joints etc from a not so kind life I have no business doing it but I can't get the idea of conquering this out of my head. Having 2 sites I'm committed to will double my earnest desire to complete this which I will take 1 month at a time. I had a record and lasted 7 days last year :ROFLMAO:
I'm not a member of DFS - merely a lurker. Good to have you join us on this.
I tried to start something along these a few years ago, but it didn't really gain much traction, so good work on attempting to start something up again here Chris. I may well join you at some point, even if isn't for the entire duration of the year.

Regarding my purchase related activities, I largely took an absence of this hobby for a year or so, largely down to growing a beard! Since shaving it off I have been enjoying buying some new bits and pieces, and I started keeping a spreadsheet to document the gear I use (yes I know, it's an OCD thing for sure), and having it a look at it, made me well aware even though I have a lot of hardware/software, I seem to focus on a few time tested staples more than others. Which made me question, why do I continue to buy items which are most likely to be overlooked in favour of ones I am more likely to use. I sometimes question whether I am walking the fine line between an enthusiast or a hoarder!

I remember we had a discussion around then that often buying new gear was sometimes not about needing something, but down to other factors.

In keeping with the theme of restraint threads, I've noticed 'other' shaving forums sometimes have participation threads like 'Decemboar' (eg a focus on using boar brushes for the calendar month of December). They can be a great way to keep an interest in the hobby without buying new gear.

One last point, I recall from the B&B ones, the participation threads for not buying any gear, they have a few rules/exemption clauses, which may or may not be of interest, but if they are they might be worth looking out for. I recall, a few of the exemption clauses include if you have one brush or bottle of witch hazel or something, if it breaks or it if you finish it you are allowed to replace, or being allowed to still participate if you are gifted something.

Anyway, sorry if I rambled on and good luck to those who choose to participate in this noble project!
Never apologise Shubs - your input is always quality. I'm refraining from rules on this one as we'll all want to do it in different ways. Full cold turkey is best for me but may not suit others. You hit the nail on the head regarding buying for the wrong reasons.

I agree but pledge precisely nothing! There is nothing I need, I have straights, SE and DE, synthetics, badger and boar brushes, soaps galore and plenty of blades. I got into exploring the options, egged on and enabled, but don't particularly intend to become a collector. It's just an adventure and a rare bit of 'retail therapy' that was manageable during Lockdown etc. If I have any shaving ambition left it is to learn to hone my Straights, which will, I think, require external input. I therefore admire your restraint, being normally cut from the same cloth myself until it became an easy way to cheer myself up. Now I should attempt restraint by dint of focus. Better for me to spend a day with John June perhaps, and acquire stones and skills than yet more soaps, brushes or razors.

I agree but pledge precisely nothing! There is nothing I need, I have straights, SE and DE, synthetics, badger and boar brushes, soaps galore and plenty of blades. I got into exploring the options, egged on and enabled, but don't particularly intend to become a collector. It's just an adventure and a rare bit of 'retail therapy' that was manageable during Lockdown etc. If I have any shaving ambition left it is to learn to hone my Straights, which will, I think, require external input. I therefore admire your restraint, being normally cut from the same cloth myself until it became an easy way to cheer myself up. Now I should attempt restraint by dint of focus. Better for me to spend a day with John June perhaps, and acquire stones and skills than yet more soaps, brushes or razors.
Nothing wrong with buying things for the right reasons. Seems like a reasonable outlook you have.

I'm also in!
Have been using my 6S for the last 6 months or so and could easily have it as my only razor.
However as I mentioned in one of my SOTD posts during the year I purchased a few razors which I have planned for next year. I have 6 new razors so they'll be swapped after 2 months each.
The only thing I need is one more brush to complete a razor/brush set. I just did that today so 2023 won't see any new acquisitions.
I have enough soaps (in fact January will see a den reduction in software) balms, blades and after shaves.
As for many here BST deals will be the hardest to resist. If temptation occurs I shall ask boycie for emotional support ;)

Last edited:
I'm also in!
Have been using my 6S for the last 6 months or so and could easily have it as my only razor.
However as I mentioned in one of my SOTD posts during this year I purchased a few razors which I have planned for next year. I have 6 new razors so they'll be swapped after 2 months each.
The only thing I need is one more brush to complete a razor/brush set. I just did that today so 2023 won't see any new acquisitions.
I have enough soaps (in fact January will see a den reduction in software) balms, blades and after shaves.
As for many here BST deals will be the hardest to resist. If temptation occurs I shall ask boycie for emotional support ;)

What brush did you order?

Right boys, spend like buggery fuck till 11:59pm on December 31st. Then it’s bread and water till November ‘23.
Buy Get GIF by MARK VOMIT

Buying stuff you need when running low is perfectly acceptable.
That's the first sign of caving in.
What could you guys possibly run low on? (Let alone out of)
OMG! I have only 20 (insert-fav-brand) blades left!! The 1500 other blades won't do... Panic buy!
OMG! My favourite artisan soap is only half full (and there is an excellent offer on t'internet) - I only have 30 other soaps. Panic buy!
OMG! I'm out of unused hip stainless steel razors and there is a new one out. Panic buy!
Be honest, guys. There is nothing you could possibly need during the coming year... use what you have.

In extreme cases - sell twice(let's call it three times) the amount of blades/soaps/razors first, then buy new crap.

Personally, I won't take part in this, but I have been a frugal wet shaver for years.
I didn't buy blades/soaps/brushes/aftershaves this year and probably won't buy any next year.

Vintage razors at a fraction of what they are worth... OK... I'm guilty... That's why I'm not in...

Back
Top Bottom