The Taming Of The Muhle

Helveticum said:
I know where you're coming from, but still - if there's stubble, that's not BBS to begin with. Things like R41, slant, OCMM and Feather can perhaps do this a bit faster, but not actually closer. I mean - you can still get it THAT close with other razors (well, maybe not all but the decent ones), it just takes a bit longer.

P.S. to NTS - what's wrong with '04? They are excellent shavers, some of the best.

Ok, I guess I'll try something else here. Was trying to avoid an obviously embarrassing topic but I can see now it's in the cards.

Yes, we are talking about male faceturbation. I admit to giving into it on occasion. There, I said it. Oh yeah, before I forget, NTS is right about me thinking Johnus is a major loon for using those 04 types. He was just teasing me a little bit.

So when I faceturbate, my normal routine is to run my hand over my face with a fairly light touch. Usually. I won't feel any stubble at all, even ATG. If I really bear down hard then yeah, there's the slightest whiskery feel on my chin and jawline going ATG. Heh, my neck is mostly BBS, but there's a couple spots where DFS is good enough.

If I use a very aggressive razor, even those few facial areas feel BBS when rubbing hard while faceturbating....even ATG.

What do you think causes less whiskers to be around the next day? I don't use any more passes, and I certainly don't bear down more with a bitey razor. I think that for whatever the reason, a very aggressive razor will somehow shave 'deeper' .if that makes sense.

Never tried using an average razor to try and get the same results. It would take not more passes, but instead more pressure.

Now just because I use an aggressive razor, it doesn't mean the shave will be as good as using my normal mild set up. Nope, I gotta be more careful with something that can hurt me, and can't use stuff like buffing or j hooking. As a result, some tricky areas needing those techniques don't get as smooth as usual. I can't go ATG on my neck very well either. Some parts of my face are extremely smooth, and others are a little lacking. Kind of mixed results.

How's that sound?

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. For me it's about getting lather right though - that allows for that extra BBSness that leaves you smooth till the next day (and I'm talking about irritation free shaves only).

Helveticum said:
Yeah, I see where you're coming from.

Last time you used that line, there was a "but" following it. So what do you think? Has your opinion changed at all regarding aggressive razors? If not, then you have any ideas of why there's less whiskers to whack than usual? I'm open to other explanations.

The R41 is great I purchased one a few months ago after just one shave I found only my merkur slant shave any ware near as well now my other razors are second rate
a bit sad really
Paul

I used mine this morning. I've found it so aggressive that I can do a two pass (WTG then ATG) and find it gives a superb shave. Any more passes just lead to cuts and irritation for me.

I have one of the Muhles, actually two of them; the older milder one and then the new head. Like both of them. But..
Yes, there's a but, just finished a late Sunday shave using a Parker-like Shavette and a Derby professional 1/2 blade. Very close to a BBS shave in 2passes. Just needed a little touch up on the back left chin side. No cuts, scraps or burn. I'm really starting to get sold on these Shavette things.
Usually I don't talk about cost but for 30$us for the Parker-like and ~5$us for 100 1/2 blades. It's like shaving free for the year.

Back
Top Bottom