The ugly side to importing and selling 'artisan' soap

I apologise for the preaching nature of this post. I'm kicking this potential hornet's nest in the hope that it may encourage positive outcomes, as crazy as it sounds.

I will preface this by saying that the way in which the artisan 'movement' has expanded our choice and voice has been fantastic. When I first began to explore soap and aftershave in 2011, forum discussions were often about reformulations or discontinuations of favourite shaving soaps. (I never did get hold of a Sir Irisch Moos stick). Thankfully, today's small-scale soapmakers care about their customers, their products, and their craft. That is a truly good thing.

But I have concerns as to another recent development. Namely, the recent spate of EU-based distributors of non-compliant cosmetics (particularly American artisan soaps) who are breaking EU and UK laws to profit from supplying niche and artisan shaving products. This business practice is either negligent or exploitative.

You can read the documentation at your leisure:
  • EU - Cosmetics Regulation ((EC) No. 1223/2009): http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:342:0059:0209:en:pDF
  • UK - Cosmetic Products Enforcement Regulations 2013: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1478/made
  • CTPA provide a digest: http://www.ctpa.org.uk/content.aspx?pageid=423
These regulations have clear repercussions for producers and distributors alike. Conviction in a Magistrates' Court could lead to a fine of up to £5000 (the statutory maximum), or imprisonment of up to three months, or to both. Conviction on indictment (Crown Court) could be £20,000 and twelve months respectively.

Regardless of one's political views on the EU, profiting financially through bypassing the law is wrong. It may well be expensive for small businesses to ensure compliance. It may be bureaucratic. It may stifle entrepreneurialism. But it is legislation that these vendors are meant to be accountable to. Soap producers like Nanny's, Wickham, Calani, Faena et al all have to comply. Distributors also have to ensure that the lines they stock comply. I won't name-and-shame those that do not. It is too obvious to be necessary. Gifts & Care, Connaught, and Gallant & Klein are among many who do. Significantly, Retro Grooming chose to dissolve rather than compete for market share illicitly.

You may well note that there are many long-standing vendors who have withheld from stocking non-compliant cosmetics. Is this a stunning lack of business acumen on their part? Of course not. They know that achieving compliance from most non-EU soapmakers is a) unprofitable, b) impractical, or c) impossible. They also hold principles that mean that they won't pursue unlawful commercial activities. Others, however, have grasped the nefarious opportunity left by this 'gap in the market'.

Some may advance an irrelevant (and likely flawed) 'free market' argument. For many, the issue will inevitably come back to this: 'If I enjoy x soap then what's the harm?'. These vendors are hardly living it up in ivory towers and lathering virgins' tears with unicorn hair brushes for their own daily shaves. But I disagree with those who assuage their conscience by denying injury and/or victim. I appreciate that ethics are personal and that this is a complicated picture. Perhaps it'll be made simpler if and when soapmakers and vendors (past, present or future) choose not to make or supply because it would mean sharing a market with others who contravene the law to get a competitive advantage? Then again, I realise that there will be a vocal minority who couldn't care less whether their money goes to Help the Aged or Idi Amin so long as they aren't inconvenienced.

Ultimately, buying non-compliant soap and cosmetics for personal use doesn't compromise anybody's ethics. NB: There is a distinction between buying a non-compliant product from an EU-based importer and buying directly from the maker. But to run a business selling products that breach the law is fairly repugnant.

Ideally, these persons will quickly seek to a) certify their stock and achieve compliance, and b) cease trading in non-compliant goods. That is not unreasonable. Hopefully, most consumers will redouble their efforts to support responsible businesses.

Over and out.

You're entitled to your opinion, vote with your wallet and don't buy soap you find morally questionable.

While I can buy RazoRock and Soap Commander in the UK I'm going to continue to do so. If they become unavailable I'll order them from the U.S. and all you'll have done is cost me more in postage fees and an £8 shafting from the Royal Mail, and moved my custom from a local business to one overseas.

'Fraid I feel little or no sense of obligation to comply with regulations passed by an unelected elite in Brussells for what seem to me to be primarily protectionist policies. Although I've never yet bought any of the soaps or creams to which I believe the post refers my sympathies lie with free trade. YMMV.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/.

We seriously don't, Alex!

+1 to Burgundy if only I knew how to recognise non-compliant artisan soaps. I blithely buy soaps assuming they are safe but now I have to search for Certs of Compliance?

What might a non-compliant soap do to me? The only problem I've ever had has been with TOBS - and though I've never checked, I'd lay money on them being in compliance.

What brought this hornets' nest to your attention, Burgundy, and why have you kicked it?

I believe in prevention, if research has been carried out as to the concentration of certain compounds causing or resulting in harm, again I believe it should be considered ymmv. Hey people always have a choice but its also nice knowing reasons why something is perhaps harmful, proves were not totally living in a censored dictatorship.

JohnnyO said:
'Fraid I feel little or no sense of obligation to comply with regulations passed by an unelected elite in Brussells for what seem to me to be primarily protectionist policies. Although I've never yet bought any of the soaps or creams to which I believe the post refers my sympathies lie with free trade. YMMV.

Please PM me the lists, JohnnuO, and let the light of rightousness shine upon my ignorance! What the fucks going on here?

Carl its certain chemicals namely iso propyls which you can find in certain non EU/UK products. In particular its the concentration of these.

Basically take squash drink it neat, sugar over load, over time not good. Dilute it good flavour less sugar in overall given volume. Drink this as often not so bad.

In a similar context its the length of time these 'bad' chemicals are left on the skin and in what concentrations as well. Absorption rate also.

The EU/UK guidelines act a safety net having tested these chemicals. What needs further reading is what tests were done, how they were done under what conditions and if any back handers were taken.

Bechet45 said:
JohnnyO said:

Please PM me the lists, JohnnuO, and let the light of rightousness shine upon my ignorance! What the fucks going on here?

I really shouldn't get involved in this but it's easy to spot the ones that have gone through the cosmetic certification. They should have a label with the name of a responsible person/entity from the EU and with an address. So when something happens, like an allergic reaction you know who to get in touch with. They need to be somewhat local for obvious reasons.

Having said that, we are all grown-ups here and we all make our own decisions, be they ethical or practical.

Thanks for that but I'm no further forward - a check of several of my soaps, artisan and commercial, failed to reveal any clues about compliance with anything. Nearest to it are warnings to discontinue use if your face starts to disintegrate - as mine does with TOBS.

Are we just talking principles here or are there actually some non-compliant soaps being marketed? Not naming names is like quoting Bible references instead of saying what you mean.

Anyway, I like straight bananas.

Indeed! Well set out, Burgundy, and good on you for bring this to the forefront.

Free trade is one thing, but compliance with regulations absolutely protects us as consumers who do not have the time, money or expertise to verify what it is that we're buying ... and that goes for olive oil and honey, too. You can read about those in your own time. That, and it's the law ... like it, or not.

Bechet45 said:
Thanks for that but I'm no further forward - a check of several of my soaps, artisan and commercial, failed to reveal any clues about compliance with anything. Nearest to it are warnings to discontinue use if your face starts to disintegrate - as mine does with TOBS.

Are we just talking principles here or are there actually some non-compliant soaps being marketed? Not naming names is like quoting Bible references instead of saying what you mean.

Anyway, I like straight bananas.

If there's no name or EU address on it then it's not compliant. It should have the name of the importer.

axelk said:
If there's no name or EU address on it then it's not compliant. It should have the name of the importer.

But your own site makes no reference to compliance of any sort to any Regulation and I'm sure all your products are legit.

Thought - do cigarettes have to comply with some regulation? We all know they'll kill you.

To my knowledge, yes. They are all legit. I ask all manufactures if they have it. I didn't think I should state the fact that all the products I sell are legit :)

Back
Top Bottom