Thread size ?

TeP

Hi guy's. Can someone tell me the size of the threads on Gillette 3 piece Tech's. Got a daft idea of maybe trying to find a threaded insert to which I could fit a wood handle.

But what sort of 5/16"? Whitworth? Not fine.Not pipe. Not AF.

Whitworth for British Techs and something American for US Techs?

Talking of Bob - has anyone heard from him recently? He's not answering my email.

AF = American Fine, as used in cars a while back, for instance.

I can't remember - doubt I ever knew - it's equivalence to Whitworth but I think in smaller sizes - razors - they are just about, pretty much the same.

Just had a look at my English,aluminium handled Ball end Tech...and the thread size of that is 3/16ths BSF (British Standard Fine)...I ran a tap down the stem to "prove" the size.......Hope that helps.

If I were making a wooden handle, I'd be inclined to buy a 3\16 tap and some brass tubing of suitable inside diameter,and tap my own thread and make my own inserts....using Araldite to fix the inserts in place....Its an option.

I have a wooden handled, Tech headed Bob's razor. I'm guessing that the amount of brass in the handle to give heft and balance is greater than brass tubing would supply - even heavy gauge tubing. I think he referred to it as an 'ingot' - brass rod drilled and tapped.

I measured it, it is a 10-32. Unless you put an insert in wood, you will never achieve this thread pitch. That is also an odd size for wood inserts so i wish you luck! you may have to make them for yourself. I am not sure how much access you have to taps ,and a vise or a lathe. Good luck!

Goldcrest good point, does he have an American or British tech?

GOLDCREST said:
Just had a look at my English,aluminium handled Ball end Tech...and the thread size of that is 3/16ths BSF (British Standard Fine)...I ran a tap down the stem to "prove" the size.......Hope that helps.

If I were making a wooden handle, I'd be inclined to buy a 3\16 tap and some brass tubing of suitable inside diameter,and tap my own thread and make my own inserts....using Araldite to fix the inserts in place....Its an option.

Good point! I wonder if he has an American or British TECH!

ishmael said:
I measured it, it is a 10-32. Unless you put an insert in wood, you will never achieve this thread pitch. That is also an odd size for wood inserts so i wish you luck! you may have to make them for yourself. I am not sure how much access you have to taps ,and a vise or a lathe. Good luck!

Goldcrest good point, does he have an American or British tech?

GOLDCREST said:

Good point! I wonder if he has an American or British TECH!

You gents are confusing me. A 10-32 (#10 bolt, with 32 TPI pitch SAE Fine) insert is available:Brass 10-32 insert

Bechet45 said:
I suspect that is GOG's homework all done for him!

How right you are :icon_lol: . Should have come back earlier, I found the sizes on another site, and correct they are 10-32 and 5m x 0.8 for the modern razor thread. Apparently you ignore the 10 before the 32, don't ask me why I've yet to find out why. The thread is 3/16 x 32tpi not checked yet, but I think it may be equivalent to a cycle thread.

Have already ordered some taps to cut my own threads, so will have a play when I can find the time. :icon_rolleyes:

Many, many thanks for all the help guy's, but no doubt I will be back for more advice as time goes on. This shaving lark can be addictive!

More info on the 10 - 32 thread size. Apparently the 10 designates it as a 3/16" diameter stud, and the 32 of course is 32tpi. Apparently as near as dammit converts to a modern UNF thread.

Back
Top Bottom