Thread size ?

If you've never used taps before,just take it easy with them, they're very hard steel but also very brittle...If you try to cut the thread all in one go you stand the chance of snapping the tap in half whilst still in the hole...very annoying..and a bugger to get out...

Make sure to get the tap aligned perfectly..its very easy to tap a thread at a slight angle...Just screw the tap in half a turn ,then back it off slightly to clear the swarf from the threads..then screw in another half turn and back off again and so on until you've finished cutting all the thread........

Apologies for the advice if you know what you're doing....

GOG said:
More info on the 10 - 32 thread size. Apparently the 10 designates it as a 3/16" diameter stud, and the 32 of course is 32tpi. Apparently as near as dammit converts to a modern UNF thread.

:icon_razz: Can't ignore that "10", because over here we have #6-32, 8-32 and 10-32. Stepping up, we have the 1/4(inch)-20, stepping down, we have 4-40.

...and what does Unicef have to do with thread pitch?!:icon_mrgreen::icon_lol::p

10 is old US gauge size, as are all numbers. A 10-32 is national fine. There is also national course(10-24), this duplicity I think is similar to British standard. By the way there is also a 12 to be careful with your 3/16th. If your having trouble getting a 10-32, Ill be happy to send you one NO charge, I have too many to count. Be careful threading brass, if you want Ill send you some cutting lube. It does not burn but smells!

ishmael said:
10 is old US gauge size, as are all numbers. A 10-32 is national fine. There is also national course(10-24), this duplicity I think is similar to British standard. By the way there is also a 12 to be careful with your 3/16th. If your having trouble getting a 10-32, Ill be happy to send you one NO charge, I have too many to count. Be careful threading brass, if you want Ill send you some cutting lube. It does not burn but smells!

Top man ishmael, many thanks for your generous offer. No need, I now have a set of three 10-32 taps sitting in my garage waiting for me to get a piece of steel to play with. If that works I plan on moving on to stainless steel, but need to find out a bit more about it. I know some of the stainless steels are VERY hard on HSS tools. I know brass and plating would probably be the best but I am thinking of the cost at the moment.

A couple of other thoughts: nitride-coated taps wear much better than plain HSS. A touch more expensive (about $1-2 USD more per tap, over here), but much easier to use.

If you have a drill press, these are handy, as is a guide block, if you're manually tapping.

Back
Top Bottom