time to start seen all the hype cant resist

At first your DE shaves will be inferior. As I think I said to you before, if you expect instant results or want to switch to DE just to "jump on the bandwagon" then you'll probably not want to work through the initial learning phase, so bear that in mind. As you're used to generating lather, you've already learned around 50-60% of the traditional shaving technique, which means you can concentrate on using the razor.

As far as technique with a DE razor is concerned, the first thing I'd say is that, while you can get away with indifferent pre-shave prep with a cartridge, a DE razor will find you out. After that, the main things to work on are blade angle, for which this article from Badger and Blade is a good introduction (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/130110-Blade-Angle-some-help-for-newbies) and pressure, or rather, avoiding the temptation to apply pressure other than the weight of the razor. Pressure is, IMO, the single biggest technique hurdle as cartridge designs rely on the user pressing the head into the skin, whereas a decent DE will usually punish this tendency. I'd suggest buying one of LosetheBeards' selection packs, and either a Jagger DE89/Muhle R89 (same head design, different handles), or the Merkur 34c.

As a fairly new DE shaver, I would say the Gillette 7o'clock might be too sharp for a beginner.
Have a look at the sticky spreadsheet on here to see how others rate blades, and buy a selection pack.
Then use a milder blade a few times before trying another. Every person rates a blade differently.
If there's a blade, like the Personna, that isn't in your selection pack, then I'm sure you'll get a few offers to send you a few blades to try.

Thanks Chris I remember a previous post of mine which you replied to mentioning the major difference (with regards to shave quality) being that of prep and lather. Not having used a DE I can't compare however, as so many say just using good shaving cream(s) and a brush make such a big difference.

I personally won't be jumping on the wagon. This is mainly because I buy Gillette fusion blades cheaply and the nostalgic feature of using a brush and cream (with the occasional addition of EO) keeps my shaves enjoyable. I was always more intrigued with my grandads brushes than razors, as a child. Secondly I am honestly not willing to go down the learning curve and carry the scar wounds as I'm certain old habits of pressing down with the razor would be an automatic response.

Once again thank you for the honest advice having improved my technique and shaves through prep I thought the change over to DE would not be surplus but having reviewed all aspects cartridge is for me......for now

I wouldn't say DE shaving is any harder than a multi blade razor, I never had any real problems swopping and as long as you don't press down and keep the angle right there is little chance of any serious cuts. I've had a few nicks here and there but nothing I wouldn't have got with a multi blade. You may have to concentrate a little more and if you are not feeling 100% then use a disposable. What's to lose giving it a go?

I didn't intend to make it seem dangerous or a feat equivalent to flying the Space Shuttle; some find the transition easier than others and you'd have to be seriously clumsy to do serious damage, but the odd cut and area of razor burn is fairly likely in the short term.

I'm with Chris on this.
I was fine with my fusion, in everything except price. It gave me a quick, comfortable shave with no irritation. Once I discovered proper soap and brushes. Which I used for about 3 years before changing to DE.

I switched because I thought I could get closer, for less.
I've had no cuts to speak of. And my first 5 shaves were definitely inferior.

Conversely I now spend more and my shaves are, quality wise, about the same. But it's not a daily chore. It's a hobby now. I look forward to it.
And that's something the Gillette never gave me.

If you change your mind the EJ DE89 is an excellent starter.
I personally think the Merkur 34C is even better, but it's more expensive and you have to know you'll love it. The EJ is cheap enough to have a go, and if you don't like it you've lost the price of a pack of Gillette cartridges.

Chris you by no means made this task a simile to a needle in a haystack.
Walkers as mentioned before it comes down to cost which for me paying very little for 6-8 fusion cartridges is no issue. Secondly the experience, which for me is more than attained through my chemistry of creams, soaps, lathering equip, brushes and EO's.

Synopsis: Quite simply for me cheap cartridges providing a great shave is suffice I'd rather spend my money on the prep, during and post experience...Everyman to his own I guess

I suppose its blade to face either way, difference being the contact between bald and skin

*blade

Nishy- can't tell from your profile, but are you in the UK?

If so I'll post you a Chinese DE razor that's perfectly adequate and some suitable blades for you to try. My only stipulation is that you should post a review (which probably won't be that good ;) ) and then post it on to the next newbie who wants to dabble in DE's.

Deal??

You dangle the sausage infront of my face sir, unfortunately im sticking with my mach 3, so much so that I write this great review; having just had a shave with a mach 3 with haslinger ewe's milk followed by proraso green pre/post and you know what I loved it.

I fact I love shaving full stop, now why fix something that's not broken..?

Back
Top Bottom