Closed Try out some vintage blades

After a truly foul day at work you wouldn't believe the simple joy of finding this pack of blades waiting for me when I got home. Perfect timing.
I must say the dispenser for the Schick blades is super cool and if it shaves as well as it looks this will be amazing.
Not sure where the soap crept in but it smells great.
I'll pass the remainder on to Helveticum asap but come on guys this is not an opportunity to miss out on.:)

A - W said:
Well I have used the Wilkinson sword the last few shaves and can say I have enjoyed it.
Nice progressive shave with some excellent results. Thumbs up from me.

Thanks for your thoughts. Blades being such a personal thing as they are

always makes trying one a crapshoot.

It's fun for me using a blade that's around 50 years old. Kinda like a small inside (and goofy) secret. Main thing though is how they fit me. Heh, not that my opinion means that much in this case.

Martin

Ok so finished with the Schick after 6 excellent shaves. Was beginning to feel a bit draggy toward the end but might have made it to 7 at a pinch. Very sharp, very smooth and definitely something I would buy in bulk if you could still get them.

Woodacre1983 said:
I would like to be considered but I feel will be classed as too much of a newbie?

Sure.....give em a try. Contact Helveticum with your mailing address.

CMOT said:
Ok so finished with the Schick after 6 excellent shaves. Was beginning to feel a bit draggy toward the end but might have made it to 7 at a pinch. Very sharp, very smooth and definitely something I would buy in bulk if you could still get them.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad those were a good fit.

Martin

Had 3 shaves from the Wilkinson Sword Edge. For me not as special as the Schick. More of a middle of the road sort of blade and needed more work to get a really good result. Certainly glad to have tried it though.

Tried PAL - wasn't for me. It definitely shaves, but I didn't attempts ATG with it, too draggy compared to stuff like Sputnik or Bleues. Reminded me of Personna though, so some might like it.

If you managed a full pass wtg I am impressed! Tried the PAL this morning and had to abandon it. Seemed more like using tweezers to pluck the hairs out. Back in those days men must have been tough, or at least wouldn't have been shaving for pleasure ! On that note I'm beginning to wonder if shaving as a hobby is really a new phenomenon. How hard would it be to access the range of stuff we can get now in the days pre internet?

Although I have already had the package if it comes back to me I can add some vintage blades I recently acquired: some 1960s or 70s Permasharp Supreme and some Schick Ultra Platinum. Both are in my opinion excellent

CMOT said:
On that note I'm beginning to wonder if shaving as a hobby is really a new phenomenon. How hard would it be to access the range of stuff we can get now in the days pre internet?

Well I'm sure that there wouldn't be such a range available but in my youth every decent chemist would stock good badger brushes and a range of soaps and creams from Kent, Culmak and others. You could have got decent blades at every chemist and many barbers too though probably a very limited range. This is in the seventies when cartridge razors had already pretty much taken over but I think it carried on well into the eighties. I know my dad was still DE shaving - I have his old Slim Twist :D
The blades at that time would have been the vintage ones people pay a premium for now too.

Prior to the introduction of stainless and coated blades I'm not sure how much of a pleasure shaving would have been though!

NotTheStig said:
Although I have already had the package if it comes back to me I can add some vintage blades I recently acquired: some 1960s or 70s Permasharp Supreme and some Schick Ultra Platinum. Both are in my opinion excellent

I threw a pack of those exact Permasharp's in when the package left me, so you don't need to part with your's:angel: They're not exactly easy to come by.

CMOT said:
If you managed a full pass wtg I am impressed! Tried the PAL this morning and had to abandon it. Seemed more like using tweezers to pluck the hairs out. Back in those days men must have been tough, or at least wouldn't have been shaving for pleasure ! On that note I'm beginning to wonder if shaving as a hobby is really a new phenomenon. How hard would it be to access the range of stuff we can get now in the days pre internet?

Hey, I used it after stropping with a Swiss blade stropping contraption (Allegro), that might've helped a bit ;)

Back
Top Bottom