TSR member profile, just curious...

Astrology the same as religion? No, I have faith which (by definition) can't be proven; astrology is a (pseudo-)science which ought to be demonstrable.

But as Pluto was only discovered recently and twins can turn out quite different so the evidence isn't too hot from where I'm sitting.

Well here's more controversy: Before the outer planets (Uranus, Neptune & Pluto) were discovered, Astrologers gave readings based on the 6 known planets... when Sir William Herschel doscovered Uranus in 1781, does that mean that instantly every astrological chart prepared without Uranus was utter bollocks? Obviously the same applies to Neptune (Johan Galle 1846) and Pluto (Clyde Tombaugh 1930).

To sum it up more succinctly - what a load of old sweaty bollocks.

I'm a Leo
leo-tattoo-symbol.jpg

But maybe Mr. Dawkins should do a scientific experiment to find out why pretty much every society has some sort of supernatural belief. And also, not get so hot under the collar about the wide array of patently illogical ideas with which we comfort ourselves as we wend our way through life. If these ideas provide comfort to people, then why jump up and down to tell them they're being stupid?

soapalchemist said:
But maybe Mr. Dawkins should do a scientific experiment to find out why pretty much every society has some sort of supernatural belief. And also, not get so hot under the collar about the wide array of patently illogical ideas with which we comfort ourselves as we wend our way through life. If these ideas provide comfort to people, then why jump up and down to tell them they're being stupid?

I've never been given the impression that he thinks people are stupid to believe in the supernatural. No doubt he's well aware that it is human nature to be susceptible to this kind of thing. I just think he prefers the truth to any false comfort that these lies are giving people.

Sometimes, particularly when dealing with death, false comfort is better than no comfort.....
Actually, I envy people who have a real belief in another world; especially when I'm fed up with this one. ;)

Pig Cat said:
I've never been given the impression that he thinks people are stupid to believe in the supernatural.
No, he does. He loaths religion, seriously. He's virtually on a crusade to rid the world of religion (notwithstanding the difference between religion and faith, which I believe are two different things).

You never see him smile much.

Back
Top Bottom