Ultrasonic contact lens cleaner.

My wife asked me today about these and if they were any good. She feels she need to buy one
I said I would askthe experts on here :)
Any recommendations? and also what solution do you put the lenses in, is just regular saline solution or something special to go with the unit?
Ive seen some on ebay that look like a PC mouse, cost around £20, but wouldn't know if theyre good or not.
Thanks in advance.
regards, beejay

What sort of lenses do you use? I've got monthlies and personally I think it would be more hassle to use one of these gadgets than squidge the lenses around in my palm for a few moments each. Admittedly I've only had a very brief foray in to what these machines do. One positive thing appears to be the lack of stinging you sometimes get when you put them in. I don't like this much but it goes away quickly.

What, like this one you mean??

images

Pig Cat said:
What sort of lenses do you use? I've got monthlies and personally I think it would be more hassle to use one of these gadgets than squidge the lenses around in my palm for a few moments each. Admittedly I've only had a very brief foray in to what these machines do. One positive thing appears to be the lack of stinging you sometimes get when you put them in. I don't like this much but it goes away quickly.

Its not me that wears them its my wife.
She wears gas permeable? hard lenses, not the disposabe type.
She soaks them every night but apparently they can cloud up over time? which izs why she is thinking about a claener.
regards, beejay

It was such a bloody chore cleaning lenses that I now use disposables, having said that I would get a machine if I was using non disposables again.

Saline for daily clean and weekly protein remover (should prevent cloud up)

My sister seems to like the clensatron but I'm sure there are many out there

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.clensatron.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.clensatron.com/</a><!-- m -->

PC - do those things actually stay in for a month?

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly. If it was me I'd take advice from an optician about this as I'd be worried about doing the wrong thing with my lenses. That said, I can see why you asked here as there may be someone who's had experience of one of these machines.

hunnymonster said:
<stomach churns at the thought of contact lenses>
they are mostly fine its only when one of them curls up and gets stuck under your upper eyelid that its ever any trouble. Then you have to poke and squeeze about until you manage to manipulate it down far enough to be able the feel the edge, and scoop it out.

The only other problem is that if you have to put in or take out a lens within 4-5 hours of chopping chillies, it doesn't matter how much you wash your hands (or dipping in milk etc) you will still have enough irritant to make you scream.

Jeltz said:
The only other problem is that if you have to put in or take out a lens within 4-5 hours of chopping chillies, it doesn't matter how much you wash your hands (or dipping in milk etc) you will still have enough irritant to make you scream.

Amen to that. I'm also a committed nose-picker and, though not as painful as eye contact, 'chilli finger' certainly curtails the pleasure to be had in this old and noble art.

Pig Cat said:
Jeltz said:

Amen to that. I'm also a committed nose-picker and, though not as painful as eye contact, 'chilli finger' certainly curtails the pleasure to be had in this old and noble art.

Thanks guys for all the replies which my wife has now read..... and replies "quite an easy solution gentlemen,,latex gloves on to chop,,latex gloves off to pick,, and you shouldn't have any further problems" :)
regards, beejay

beejay said:
Pig Cat said:
Jeltz said:

Thanks guys for all the replies which my wife has now read..... and replies "quite an easy solution gentlemen,,latex gloves on to chop,,latex gloves off to pick,, and you shouldn't have any further problems" :)
regards, beejay

Or vice versa I suppose. Many thanks to Mrs beejay!!!

Jeltz said:
hunnymonster said:
<stomach churns at the thought of contact lenses>
they are mostly fine its only when one of them curls up and gets stuck under your upper eyelid that its ever any trouble. Then you have to poke and squeeze about until you manage to manipulate it down far enough to be able the feel the edge, and scoop it out.

Apparently washing your hands with an alum block gets rid of all odors (not sure if it clears traces of chills). Not tried it yet myself so it could be a red herring.

Back
Top Bottom