Vintage Gillette de razor

you stole that razor..... using "typical" ebay us prices for English razors, let alone English sets ..... you payed 1/5th of what it would normally go for based on being an English set. with the blade banks intact.

But HOW DOES IT SHAVE.

I used to own all three sets, in fairly minty condition too. Sold all three as a set for $150 a number of years ago.

Wish I still had them. They would be worth about a grand today.
Edit: added pictures of them.
IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

If there's no number on top of the baseplate then it's a '20's thick cap OLD type. It looks like it's a gold plated razor, although some of the plating may be worn away. The English sets are sometimes unique to England and won't have an identical counterpart in the US sets. I've never seen a set identical to yours, but it's a nice set, and a fantastic shaver. I have several '20's OLD types and they are some of my favorite razors.

Sure...:rolleyes:

It was up for £50 but made them a £25 cheeky offer that was accepted.
It shaves ok, but I still like the weight and feel of my trusty 34c .

If it was the razor alone for £25 then it would have been a touch on the high side but with the case in such good condition and the blade banks that's an excellent price IMO.

The ball-end isn't supposed to pop out like that but it's very common for that to happen due to the press fit giving way over the years. If you look very closely you may see a tiny hairline crack in the end of the handle. If it bothers you it can be quite easily fitted back in and stuck in place - most guides say epoxy but I've used a good quality superglue on one of mine and it's been perfect ever since.

Not something to worry about though - It's pretty much the norm for a lot of the Old-Types and it really is the set that's the star there.

If it was the razor alone for £25 then it would have been a touch on the high side but with the case in such good condition and the blade banks that's an excellent price IMO.

The ball-end isn't supposed to pop out like that but it's very common for that to happen due to the press fit giving way over the years. If you look very closely you may see a tiny hairline crack in the end of the handle. If it bothers you it can be quite easily fitted back in and stuck in place - most guides say epoxy but I've used a good quality superglue on one of mine and it's been perfect ever since.

Not something to worry about though - It's pretty much the norm for a lot of the Old-Types and it really is the set that's the star there.
Hi yes there is a small cracking along the handle . Spoils it a little but could be glued back.
Would you have any idea what it's made of?
I think brass head and alloy handle.

The blade banks have really old Gillette blades in them too

all solid brass. the cheapest material at the time actually...

the issue is that the process to make the handle tube was well somewhat not inclined to make a product that would last very long... thin sheet brass rolled around a mandrel and made into a tube. massive amount of stress fractures thus made... then the knurling process... not sure if that was done before or after the tube was rolled. then you have the press fit onto the ferrule and the ball end... that just made more stress fractures.

Really interesting reading this thread - the razor on the OP looks exactly like one I have, including the base-plate markings; mine was bought from a fellow TSR member who'd taken it down to the original brass & for its age, it's in virtually mint condition (no splits at all in the handle, which for a 90+ year old is no bad thing) - can't remember what I paid for it, but certainly sub £20

Back
Top Bottom