Vinyl or CD

Have a load of stuff on vinyl and thinking about buying a record player. Any one bought one of late and was it any good. Or should I stick with CD / itunes ? More and more artists bringing back the vinyl not sure !

I love both. Would never part with my small vinyl collection or Rega turntable but I have plenty of CDs as well. MP3 and iTunes are a no-no as too lossy for the full aural experience. Ok in the car or on the move but not for magical transportation. Get yourself Rega's base model and enjoy that vinyl!

I had a spell a few years back when I decided to listen to my old vinyl records plus more picked up cheaply in charity shops. Bought a cheap record player for about £50 which I linked into my hi fi set up. Thoroughly enjoyed it. None of it survived a subsequent cull but I'm glad I did it.

Whats far more important is what you are listening to - it really doesn't matter how you listen to it. In this day and age, whatever you use will be good.

Im on holiday at the moment and last night heard a version of 'How do you mend a broken heart' by Al Green - fantastic and I have what is classed as profound hearing loss.

Hope you get what I mean. [/b]

UKRob said:
Whats far more important is what you are listening to - it really doesn't matter how you listen to it. In this day and age, whatever you use will be good.

Im on holiday at the moment and last night heard a version of 'How do you mend a broken heart' by Al Green - fantastic and I have what is classed as profound hearing loss.

Rob
I know what your saying I just think that if my computer, phone,tablet went down I would be up the proverbial music creek. There is something to be said for the sound of the old black plastic. Mind you one of my children did ask me what's that thing with a hole in it old man

Inker said:
UKRob said:

Rob
I know what your saying I just think that if my computer, phone,tablet went down I would be up the proverbial music creek. There is something to be said for the sound of the old black plastic. Mind you one of my children did ask me what's that thing with a hole in it old man

Haha, don't worry Inker: what goes around comes around. :angel:

I love vinyl and play it regularly.

Remastered CDs are sheer enlightenment - I've got all the Black Sabbath catalogue on vinyl and finally got around to listening to the remastered collection on CD. Wow! What an ear opener!

But for straight-up pops, crackles and running to the turntable after the final song on a side ... love vinyl. Love its warmth.

I have never owned a turntable and I have owned a hifi for over 20 years now, it's been either CDs or tapes for me all the time. However, last year I ripped all of my CDs into flac and now stream them from a NAS into my hifi.

I often read Pink Fish Media and HiFi Wigwam and the turntable seems alive and kicking on those forums.

Go for it and buy a turntable!

Gairdner said:
I love both. Would never part with my small vinyl collection or Rega turntable but I have plenty of CDs as well. MP3 and iTunes are a no-no as too lossy for the full aural experience. Ok in the car or on the move but not for magical transportation. Get yourself Rega's base model and enjoy that vinyl!
Like the look of the Rega on the wish list now

Do it OP. I'm picking up a lovely turntable next Saturday after listening to it setup yesterday. What an aural treat. The warmth and clarity from vinyl is sublime.

I have both I have deck and valve amp for my vinyl and use itunes/mp3/4 for my mobile stuff (iPod/Phone).
@Paul try picking up some of the 180g remastered vinyl stuff and then you get the both of both worlds.
One pet peeve is older remastered mono music "stereofied" the Beatles old stuff does not work in stereo !!

Vinyl or CD? It doesn't really matter! they are both of very high quality and each has their relative merits and drawbacks. I suspect the real question is how to avoid mp3! A blight on the face of music reproduction - yes it's convenient (i.e. small file size) but the loss and compression of the audio is terrible. Copy all your vinyl/CD to a lossless format and then either back it up to another hard drive or 'the cloud'.

listen loud!

happy shaving
Adam

missingskin said:
I have both I have deck and valve amp for my vinyl and use itunes/mp3/4 for my mobile stuff (iPod/Phone).
@Paul try picking up some of the 180g remastered vinyl stuff and then you get the both of both worlds.
One pet peeve is older remastered mono music "stereofied" the Beatles old stuff does not work in stereo !!

Hey Steve,
I'm very intrigued about the valve amp, what have you got, is it worth it over say an integrated amp with phono stage or next level of separate phono stage and amp?

Cheers,

Jody

Do people actually still buy CD's anymore? Thought about selling mine on ebay but didn't think people would still buy them.

Back
Top Bottom