Wade & Butcher finished

pugh-the-special-one said:
Hi Jody I usually start with 600 grit If like these scales they where fairly rough looking, then I work my way through using micro mesh after 1200 grit then all the way up to 12000, you are usually polishing horn or plastic with micro mesh after 8000, and the washers they are not bulls eye washers they are three individual washers each one slightly larger than the next, I did think of using stainless steel and nickel silver in the same set up up, but the original had brass so I decided to stick with that, If you need any help you have my E-mail address feel free to contact me anytime.

Jamie

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check into micro mesh. Nice idea with the washers. Looks very authentic.

So far I've polished the blade, rescaled it with some scales from another razor as they suit the chopper better, honed it and it shaves a treat. Once I've rescaled the other razor I'll post pics so you can see.

Currently working with camel bone for the scales, right pig of a job to cut tbh but they are pretty much done. Should have the wedge done over the weekend and then I'll pin them up.

You must let us know how you like the shave of the W&B once you've honed it. There is something very magical shaving with a 100 yr + razor.

jodypress said:
Hi Jody I usually start with 600 grit If like these scales they where fairly rough looking, then I work my way through using micro mesh after 1200 grit then all the way up to 12000, you are usually polishing horn or plastic with micro mesh after 8000, and the washers they are not bulls eye washers they are three individual washers each one slightly larger than the next, I did think of using stainless steel and nickel silver in the same set up up, but the original had brass so I decided to stick with that, If you need any help you have my E-mail address feel free to contact me anytime.

Jamie

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check into micro mesh. Nice idea with the washers. Looks very authentic.

So far I've polished the blade, rescaled it with some scales from another razor as they suit the chopper better, honed it and it shaves a treat. Once I've rescaled the other razor I'll post pics so you can see.

Currently working with camel bone for the scales, right pig of a job to cut tbh but they are pretty much done. Should have the wedge done over the weekend and then I'll pin them up.

You must let us know how you like the shave of the W&B once you've honed it. There is something very magical shaving with a 100 yr + razor.

Actually Jody I honed the razor a little while earlier I must admit it was a real pain to set the bevel on, and the heel of the razor really tested my patience but it eventually all came together and is now waiting for a run out.

Jamie.

Acutally Jody I honed the razor a little while earlier I must admit it was a real pain to set the bevel on and the heel of the razor really tested my patience but it eventually all came together and is now waiting for a run out.

Jamie.

I thought I found it hard due to my inexperience honing. Good to know the honemeisters find them tough too :)

Back
Top Bottom