Walking boots - giving Karrimor a 2nd chance

As mentioned in other threads, I got a new puppy Labrador last summer. About August time I bought a pair of cheap walking boots.
Wife wouldn't let me spend £100+ on boots, so I got these:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-mid-mens-walking-boots-182088?colcode=18208805
I like Karrimor products, good price, £20 ish and the fact that the RRP is meant to be £70 I (maybe naively) thought they were £70 boots rather than £20 boots.
They fit me well, very comfortable, seemed waterproof (damp grass and shallow puddles) and looked smart.
But after about 3 months of dog walking the tread is gone on the heel and toe on both boots. But I carried on using them as they were still keeping water out.
Now the tread is still going down, but two days ago water was pissing in the front, the toe area was very wet.

In the meantime I bought a pair of Meindl Desert Fox army issue walking boots. They are amazing, very high boots, look great (although a bit bright as they are desert yellow) good sole, should last years. But they are a desert boot, designed to let water in and out quickly, so not waterproof. I have therefore only worn these on dry days.

So, what do I do for a pair of waterproof walking boots? Wife still won't let me spend £100+ on good boots.

So last night I bought (on ebay, so untried) a pair of Karrimor KSB 350 boots.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Mens-Walking-Boots-Charcoal/dp/B007INTW9W

These have a proper Vibram sole, so not a Karrimor own brand sole.
They also have 'event' waterproof lining, where as my previous Karrimor Mount Mid were just labelled as 'waterproof' with no product backing mentioned.
So hopefully these should out perform the previous Karrimor boots.

On line their products have very mixed reviews, but the slightly higher spec KSB range seem to get far more good reviews.

And the cost? £16 inc postage.
Will hopefully report back at the weekend with some good news.

You sound like a man who will spend £100 on 5 pairs of leaky boots!

I know they are expensive, but boots by Altberg, Meindl aBrasher, Lowa are pretty damn good.

I shoot, wear boots at work and walk. I have several pairs of Altberg boots for different applications and seasons.

My fave pair were bought in 2004, have been resoled by Altberg at a cost of £40 ish, and are still excellent boots.

Spend some money on something that will benefit you every single day, and you can move on to worry about brushes, soaps, creams and razors..... :)

I wear berghaus boots which cost about £70 (with amazon discount code) and they are very nice, incredibly sturdy boots though slippery on rock.

I also have a pair of £28 regatta boots which are probably more comfy as a lot less rigid but far less waterproof.

Ultimately you do get what you pay for

When those give up the ghost, have a look at army surplus...even the British army use Meindl's now so you should be able to get a £150 boot for £50 or so.

You can't sniff at Karrimor's prices at SportsDirect.

I found some Rohan Ghandruks at a massive knock down price that I couldn't refuse. Large toe box and VERY lightweight for an all leather boot.

Prior to that, I had some Inov-8 GoreTex boots - again, knock down price and a very lightweight boot. I loved them, but they suffered a weakening in a crease at around 600 miles and several more emerged after about 1000 miles. I've in for about 800 miles on the Rohans now and they're not showing any significant sign of wear yet.

I've also got some circa 1990s British Squaddie boots which sit in the back of the car in case the weather manages to overwhelm my car's abilities. Prior to that, German Para boots were my daily wear for some years.

i thought SportsDirect just bought out the Karrimor name, then put that name on cheap boots which sold on their previous reputation.
My Altbergs will be going for their third re-sole soon...treat them good and they last.

ive just bought 2 pair Meindl

the sand coloured and a dark brown....man are they comfortable...not waterproof but i dont care about that...i aint goin out if its raining, a imho vibram soles are not worth squat...they dont do what they say on the tin

dr martens are going in the bin

+1 on army boots if you want something good for under £100, 2nd hand or NOS
German army Mountain boots are often Meindl or similar and have a waterproof lining.
My NOS German Para's were £70. They don't have a fancy waterproof lining but I can still paddle in the stream with the kids and have dry feet after more than a year of daily use.

Bite the bullet and get a pair of British-made, William Lennon, Hill or Fell boots. Built like Challenger tanks, resole-able and comparatively inexpensive given the materials they are made from and the immense quality of construction. Just google William Lennon boots.

I agree with the comments, you do get what you pay for.
Perhaps I should have learnt my lesson after the first pair, time will tell. But lets just say I may use this £16 pair of KSB as a stop gap until I get some Alt-Bergs.
I do have a pair of army boots, and the Meindl desert boots are great, so a pair of waterproof army boots is definitely on the cards.
Just for now I needed something quick, waterproof and comfortable, and cheap, and I know that Karrimor will do that, atleast short term.

Yes, SportsDirect bought out Karrimor, but from what I can tell, their cheap boots are cheap, their 'slightly more expensive' boots are better.

balidey said:
I agree with the comments, you do get what you pay for.
Perhaps I should have learnt my lesson after the first pair, time will tell. But lets just say I may use this £16 pair of KSB as a stop gap until I get some Alt-Bergs.
I do have a pair of army boots, and the Meindl desert boots are great, so a pair of waterproof army boots is definitely on the cards.
Just for now I needed something quick, waterproof and comfortable, and cheap, and I know that Karrimor will do that, atleast short term.

Yes, SportsDirect bought out Karrimor, but from what I can tell, their cheap boots are cheap, their 'slightly more expensive' boots are better.

Have you had a look at GoOutdoors ? They do a big rang with a wide price range ?

Back
Top Bottom