Walking boots - giving Karrimor a 2nd chance

never used GoOutdoors. Mainly because there is a huge sportsdirect about 2 minutes from my work and another retail park one in my home town. Its easy to pop in once in a while and see whats been reduced.

There is also a decent army surplus store in my home town, but for some reason the guy is thinning out his stock of clothing and boots. When I went in a few months ago he had no boots in my size (7) and he suggested I just get some off ebay. Which I did.

We have to go to Exeter to get to our closest, a 100 mile round trip. So if I'm in Exeter I try and pop in while I'm there. There best tried on, everyone has a different size idea, I like. A nice thick pair of boot socks so I think about that aspect too.

KSB boots arrived today. Initial impressions are very good.
They are a totally different fit to my previous ones.
I have had many pairs of Karrimor shoes and a few boots, always come up very small, bordering on the tight. But they always break in quickly and fit well.
These ones are not tight at all. The laces do need a good pull through to get better all round contact on my foot, but a quick walk up the road with the dog was enough tonight.
Will see how they fair long term. But so far I am impressed with £16.
And it appears these are old stock, probably 1 or 2 years looking at the design of the tag, which would explain the very low cost.

Karimoor used to be a great brand, but they are now owned by sports direct which has ruined their reputation and product quality somewhat.

For budget boots hi-tech are good.

We sell a tonne of Zamberlan boots at work which are great

I've had 2 pairs of Karimoor KSB walking boots in the past, the second pair were Gortex lined so had some waterproof ability, both lasted very well and were comfortable, the initial KSB boot was astounding comfort wise, I've never known better.
Recently I bought a pair of karimoor walking shoes similar to yours, they too are comfortable but the sole is running out fast - a common complaint. A pity as they're waterproof (as much as a shoe can be, and comfortable.
My last walking boot purchase was from Scarpa - fabulous boots but a bit heavy for summer.

I bought two pairs of altbergs great boots.

I've got a brand new pair of altberg warrior microlite boots size 9 1/2 medium width if you want to buy a decent pair at a bargain

Almost everything at sportdirect is now owned by sportsdirect. An illusion of choice and they have murdered some once great brands i.e. Karrimor - unrecognisable from its former self.

As for big hardcore leather walking boots – you don't need ‘em! :icon_surprised: They are designed for serious mountain walking (not really possible on this fair isle) or supporting the ankle under the weight of a huge pack. Many studies and anecodatl evidence to suggest they aren't very good for your feet or ankles if used outside of these activities. You'd be much better off with a decent pair of wellies or a pair of lightweight waterproof shoes (Inov8, Merrell, Salomon, Walsh).
There is plenty of choice here SportsShoes

Just my tuppence.

Enjoy!
Adam

Try out some Hi-Tech boots! I know a few guys that swear by them, they will keep your feet dry and last several seasons if looked after. I have no personal experience of them but I have been told they can be a funny fit and that you will have to try on a few different models, but you should always do that with walking boots anyway.
Some of the higher end boots seem expensive, but I have a pair of Meindle Dovre Extreme in their third season. They have never let water in, are the comfiest boot I have ever had on, and wont need re-soled for a long time yet, but then they were £200. My mate Euan has a pair of Altbergs that he had fitted at their factory, they were just over the £200 pound mark but he has had them for seven seasons and has had them re-soled at the factory a couple of times. So just shy of £300 for seven years of dry, warm and comfortable feet. At just over £40 a year thats not really expensive for a pair of British made boots that are custom fitted and will never let you down! They are top of my list once the Meindles have bit the dust!!!
But it all depends on what you use them for?

New boots starting to break in nicely.
And today they had a 6 mile riverbank walk with torrential rain.
Nice dry feet when I got home.
Shame my legs were cold and wet as I had jeans on.
On the look out for some decent waterproof overtrousers.

How fussy would you be regarding military boots?
Can you also confirm what size you would need, I maybe able to get my hands on some when I'm back at work midweek.

+1 for hi tecs. mine were reduced to 50 quid from £75 about 4 years ago and have been soundly abused from the local hills to the yorkshire moors and even digging the garden. still perform as new (look a bit worn though!) only gripe is too much bulky padding around the ankle, but that might be just my freakishly big ankles.
had a pair from berghaus before those. great boots with dreadfull vibram soles that turned into roller skates on wet rock.

balidey said:
.....On the look out for some decent waterproof overtrousers......

:icon_eek: wear shorts! :icon_eek:

but 'seriously', just buy the cheapest ones you can find that have taped seams. for walking the dog you really don't need 'breathable' or anything more techno than , what essentially boils down, to a bin liner.

xx

Back
Top Bottom