Weber Razor

[attachment=4734]The Weber is a great razor. I'll put it up against any Merkur product, including my Futur or Slant. I live in the USA and the price was $55 for the whole razor a few months ago. That's the ARC model. ARC is the slick hard coating on the head pieces. Now the price is $65. I don't see any available on the website tonight.

The handle you have is the Bulldog at 3 inches that goes with the DLC (diamond-like carbon) coated head pieces. This is actually the shorter heavier handle. The whole razor is 3.5 ounces.[attachment=4733]

You need to try the complete razor. It feels great in the hand and shaves wonderfully close for me. No nicks, no irritation, just a clean shave. Yes, it is a great deal.

Attachments

• WeberDLC.jpg
    WeberDLC.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 52
  • WeberARCjpg.jpg
    WeberARCjpg.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 51
I've been wondering about this - does a stainless razor give a better shave than a chrome and/or nickle plated one? It started with my Pils and continued with my Weber, suddenly I was getting soft BBS shaves every time. So today I used my Merkur 23C as a direct comparison - a day apart, my technique, lather, de dah are going to be pretty damn exactly similar, same test blade, different razors.

The Weber has much more heft - it's heavier, deeper knurling, better balance as the weight is in the handle. Mine has a matt finish.

The Merkur 23C has a more delicate feel - the handle is hollow so weighs much less, lighter knurling. Shiny and has the name etched on thhe handle.

For me, the Weber won with ease. Both gave a BBS shave but the Merkur took a little work to achieve it. The real difference is in the 'feel' - the Weber being a joy to use and the Merkur a good tool.

Clearly then, someone else will rate them the other way round but for me the order of merit is clear and definite - 1st. Place to Weber.

Importing thhe Weber did not attract a VAT charge.

DSC001611.jpg

Weber = matt, not loaded. Merkur = shiny, loaded.

DSC001631.jpg

SpeedyBabylon5 said:
I am getting quite tempted by the Bulldog DLC. Quite like the shorter handle and black head.

Yes, those DLC with the black heads are $70 on the Weber site now. I decided to buy one after having such a good experience with the ARC longer handle razor. And I like the look of the black head, as well.

I emailed the owner about seeing only the bulldog handle with the black head being offered. He said they would be selling the ARC head with bulldog handle pretty soon as well.

Bechet45 said:
I've been wondering about this - does a stainless razor give a better shave than a chrome and/or nickle plated one?
In a word: yes. As you note, the weight decreases one's inclination to apply pressure, which changes blade contact with the contours of the face and neck.

Equally, for the money, the stainless razor is a razor for life. Not that Merkur, et al., won't last(with care), but we don't find a plethora of the 1960s Merkur family in excellent condition, or refurbishable to "excellent". Heads are dinged, pitted, zamak exposed, cracked barrels, worn silver plating etc..

lindyhop66 said:
I emailed the owner about seeing only the bulldog handle with the black head being offered. He said they would be selling the ARC head with bulldog handle pretty soon as well.

That's interesting, I was teetering away from the webers as I really dislike the look of the black head things.

The ARC is the coated silver one yes?

ebilpirate said:
lindyhop66 said:

That's interesting, I was teetering away from the webers as I really dislike the look of the black head things.

The ARC is the coated silver one yes?
Yes, the ARC is the silver one.

Tall_Paul said:
Bechet45 said:
So for purely technical reasons - nothing to do with RAD - I should go ahead and buy an iKon. Thinking of my grandsons, d'you see?

I would say YES!! :icon_lol:

Good, man! With that in mind I bought an As-D1 Feather this morning. iKon's in June, it seems. Well done, yet again, Mr Barclay!

Johnus said:
Ok Dodgy... So did you finally buy the Whole Razor???

Nope.....I'm really not in the market for another razor right now. What I did need was a handle for the Stahly head, so that worked out fine. Heh, that Bulldog design though.....I'm thinking it over about buying that handle.

For the moment I feel like I've got enough razors to play around with for quite a while, and I mostly only use two different ones anyway. The other 6-8 in my rotation are just for a nice change of pace.

Hey, you should buy a complete Weber and then let me borrow the thing! Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't think of that yourself! Hell, go ahead and buy one of them Cobra thingys too while you're at it. That's another razor I wanna try sometime.

Dodgy

Have you heard the Weber shaves exactly like your favorite 1904 vampire razor? Heh, just doin a little chainjerking.

dodgy said:
Johnus said:
Ok Dodgy... So did you finally buy the Whole Razor???

Nope.....I'm really not in the market for another razor right now. WCHoihat I did need was a handle for the Stahly head, so that worked out fine. Heh, that Bulldog design though.....I'm thinking it over about buying that handle.

For the moment I feel like I've got enough razors to play around with for quite a while, and I mostly only use two different ones anyway. The other 6-8 in my rotation are just for a nice change of pace.

Hey, you should buy a complete Weber and then let me borrow the thing! Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't think of that yourself! Hell, go ahead and buy one of them Cobra thingys too while you're at it. That's another razor I wanna try sometime.

Dodgy

Have you heard the Weber shaves exactly like your favorite 1904 vampire razor? Heh, just doin a little chainjerking.

Martin for pitys sake be quiet.

You know if you start tempting fate like that your monkey will start playing merry hell.

As us Brits say 'slowly, slowly, catchy monkey'.

I did miss the Cobra that was just up for sale. That razor does interest me. I did finally get both the M. Vision and the Feather open razors. For the past month been mainly screwing around with straight edges and you thought the '04's are mean. Been developing a lot of scar tissue.

Tall_Paul said:
Martin for pitys sake be quiet.

You know if you start tempting fate like that your monkey will start playing merry hell.

As us Brits say 'slowly, slowly, catchy monkey'.

Well Paul, it doesn't help when you got a bunch of damn enablers here. Cobra Kong starts playing those bongos in my head and then I gotta wait for the damn thing to calm down.

The thing is, I really enjoy using injectors, and the idea behind that razor/blade combo appeals to me. Sheeeesh.

That saying you Brits use....is that normally said in a Cockney accent? It's how I imagine all of you guys talking......even the non UK members.....

Sincerely,

Enry Iggins

if yaouw yav an IPhone yaouw tin downlowad a "Speakin British" app. an' sound loike everyone else on the site.

Or you can translate their messages to you back into 'real' English:)-).

Back
Top Bottom