Week of the British Long Combs (WC 19th May 2014)

With my new acquisition, a GROM, I have had a good look at the British long combs that I own and thought a week of progressing through them would be fun.

The GROM:

DSC05627.JPG

DSC05628.JPG

British long combs represent a curious part of Gillette history, really bridging the gap between the 'New' and the Tech and yet, not really belonging to either. I guess at a push, we'd put them with the 'New' style, yet they bear more than a slight resemblance to the early Tech style.

So, starting with what I think is the oldest ...

Week%2520of%2520British%2520Long%2520Combs.JPG

Gillette T Pin
Nacet T Pin
Grom Split Pin
7 O'Clock Split Pin
Gillette Split Pin 'Tech'

... this last one is, I think a Frankenrazor, although it is identical to an early Tech that I have except for the comb. Thick base cap, too.

... and as if that was not enough, for the weekend I can drop into a couple of interesting early Techs: the one I just mentioned and a Canadian (okay, so not British but you know what I mean), a Tech labelled 1932 and carrying the mid-1930s style handle seen on the likes of GROM, Nacet & 7 O'Clock.

The burning question is which blade? I think I'm going to run through the lot with one or two Gillette Super Thins.

Anyone fancy joining me?

pjgh said:
With my new acquisition, a GROM, I have had a good look at the British long combs that I own and thought a week of progressing through them would be fun.

The GROM:

DSC05627.JPG

DSC05628.JPG

British long combs represent a curious part of Gillette history, really bridging the gap between the 'New' and the Tech and yet, not really belonging to either. I guess at a push, we'd put them with the 'New' style, yet they bear more than a slight resemblance to the early Tech style.

So, starting with what I think is the oldest ...

Gillette T Pin
Nacet T Pin
Grom Split Pin
7 O'Clock Split Pin
Gillette Split Pin 'Tech'

... this last one is, I think a Frankenrazor, although it is identical to an early Tech that I have except for the comb. Thick base cap, too.

... and as if that was not enough, for the weekend I can drop into a couple of interesting early Techs: the one I just mentioned and a Canadian (okay, so not British but you know what I mean), a Tech labelled 1932 and carrying the mid-1930s style handle seen on the likes of GROM, Nacet & 7 O'Clock.

The burning question is which blade? I think I'm going to run through the lot with one or two Gillette Super Thins.

Anyone fancy joining me?

The Grom looks great congrats, i was going to bid on it, but decided i have enough NEW's already, haha.

Nice collection as well :D

Thank you, mate. Yeah, the GROM was just a little grubby - with a mere hand wash and toothbrush, the box, cap and plate came up lovely; the handle wanted a good polish and a lot of elbow grease. Interesting find. Thanks for not bidding :D

Count me in I was planning to use my 7 o' clock all week anyway, sputnik blade worked great, stopped Treet Durasharp after 2 shaves just dragged so onto an Astra platinum. Let's see how that goes. ..

fly3k said:
I heard that the LC New and Tech are in essence the same plate but with and without teeth.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I can see - demonstrated well above by the 5th and 6th razors.

I don't see later British long combs as 'New' variants, more as a bridge between the 'New' and the Tech.

majortom said:
That's a nice interesting collection there Paul.

Cheers, Tom. You'll have a few, won't you? :D

pjgh said:
fly3k said:
I heard that the LC New and Tech are in essence the same plate but with and without teeth.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I can see - demonstrated well above by the 5th and 6th razors.

I don't see later British long combs as 'New' variants, more as a bridge between the 'New' and the Tech.

majortom said:
That's a nice interesting collection there Paul.

Cheers, Tom. You'll have a few, won't you? :D

Just a few!

The Grom looks awesome Paul - it looks it could be Gillette made in the same way that 7 O'Clock's, Nacet's and Rubie's were.

I'm happy to join you on a week of shaving with a British NEW - I've got a fair few in my collection and it will be great to use some of them over the course of the week. :)

ajc347 said:
The Grom looks awesome Paul - it looks it could be Gillette made in the same way that 7 O'Clock's, Nacet's and Rubie's were.

I'm pretty certain it was a Gillette rebrand, pal. The box is EXACTLY the same as a couple of Gillette's I have ... it would just be too much hard work and the legal punch from Gillette too hard, otherwise.

Beauty, so ... a few interested in a few long comb shaves this week? What blades will you be using? Keeping it to the big G or dropping in your favourite non-G?

I think the New is probably my favourite shaving razor out of the many I own.

If I have to get rid of them all and keep one it would be a New of some description (maybe the gold one!)

pjgh said:
Beauty, so ... a few interested in a few long comb shaves this week? What blades will you be using? Keeping it to the big G or dropping in your favourite non-G?

I think I'm going to go for a different blade each day this week mate so that'll be Feather, 7 O'Clock Yellows, Voskhod, Astra, Sputnik, Rapira platinum and Dorco's (in that order as I reckon I'll need a milder blade by the end of the week).

That'll help mix things up a bit. I'm going to start later tonight and will post up some pics of what I used over the week next weekend. :)

Back
Top Bottom