Week of the British Long Combs (WC 19th May 2014)

I'm looking through my Gillettes and I can do a different Gillette each day ... I think I'll stick to the big G for this run. The razors are, actually, all the same ... so yes, worth switching out the blades for a different shave each day.

Fun! It gets better ...

Week of British Long Combs

I'm having a week with my British long combs ... Day 1

IMG_6148.JPG

Hot Towel
Mystery Soap No.9
Pure Badger
Gillette New Long Comb
Gillette Silver Blue [1]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Old Spice Original Aftershave

Bowl Lathered
Three Pass - WTG, XTG & GTX

So, first up is a T-pin Gillette with a ball end handle. Well balanced and drove that smooth and efficient Silver Blue perfectly.

The soap is a blind test I'm playing on another forum. Lavender, perhaps Shea. Massive lather, slightly irritating by the third pass.

All in ... cracking!

Looking forward to tomorrow ...

1st shave this week

Prep: cold water and Proraso Sensitive pre shave
Brush: Muhle Black fibre
Soap : Derby Lavender
Razor: Gillette 7 O'Clock
Blade: Astra SP

Great shave, worried at start as blade seemed to drag on first pass but smoothed out to give a really good shave.

Trying the mwf on Thursday.

Have a good week everyone that's joining in.

Paul

I'm having a week with my British long combs ... Day 2

IMG_6159.JPG

Shower
Mystery Soap No.8
Pure Badger
Gillette/Nacet Long Comb
Gillette Super Nacet Platinum (Malaysian) [1]
Imperial Leather Aftershave

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - XTG & WTG (yes, in that order)

Another mystery soap I'm blind testing on another forum. Not as good, poor lather, thin and grippy causing judder on the razor when shaving.

I also found the angle quite hard to get just right and so I'm left with a good, presentable shave but I know I'll want a good shave tomorrow.

Again, fun! It's the GROM tomorrow ...

I'm having a week with my British long combs ... Day 3

IMG_6164.JPG

Hot Towel
Mystery Soap No.9
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Gillette/Grom Long Comb
Gillette Platinum [1]
Rose of Bulgaria Aftershave

Bowl Lathered
Three Pass - XTG, WTG & GTX

Another run with Mystery Soap No.9, this time lathered up with a synthetic which I do believe gave me a stunningly good lather. I still got some irritation from the soap by the third pass, something I've only really got from soaps that include shea butter. I'm guessing. Post-shave, I think the soap has contributed well to a smooth and conditioned skin.

The Grom was fun. Seemingly the same as the Nacet, it was actually quite different. Very forgiving on angle, yet it's sink its teeth in without warning. I think I just got a little blasé and a couple of weepers emerged.

All gone with the post-shave alum wash which told me I'd actually got quite a rough shave. Perhaps this Platinum will calm down with a second run.

Soothing, healing and superbly scented Rose of Bulgaria Aftershave and I'm done.

It's the mighty 7 O'Clock tomorrow ...

Not as much as Denim.

Very similar, although Denim has an extra scent in there which I struggle to put my finger on, but does have more soothing, smoothing qualities. Imperial Leather used after a nourishing tallow, shea or olive oil based soap is a lovely clean and manly scent which the complimentary EDT carries on perfectly.

It's not up there with my favourite aftershaves, but it is up there with my favourite scents. Used with the right soap, it's a winner!

Good to hear. I think. I went through a leather phase and loved Denim but have gone off leathers completely. Might come back to them another day. I'm into pine and woody fragrances at the moment. Boots Freshwood and Superdrug Forest Fresh in particular

So far this week it's been the same English long comb New using a variety of Silver Blues and English Wilkinson Sword blades. For shaving soaps it's been Stirling Black Cherry; Stirling Scottish Pine; Stirling Black Cumin and Orange; and Ebay's luckyu4ever Beer and Bergamot - all fantastic performers.
All have provided excellent results.

Cool! Cool! I had my first go with a Silver Blue on Monday and really enjoyed it.

I'm having a week with my British long combs ... Day 4

IMG_6167.JPG

Hot Towel
Mystery Soap No.8
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Gillette/7 O'Clock Long Comb
Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus [1]
Quorum Aftershave
Quorum EDT

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & XTG

Another run with mystery soap no.8, which I was disappointed with on first use but a little more soap and the synthetic seemed to whip it up just perfectly, not thin or unprotective, quite the opposite.

Lovely razor, but again, the blade did seem to be a little rough. Very sharp, but not what I'd call smooth. I knew I was shaving whereas there are other blades I have that genuinely do not feel like they're there.

In all, enjoyed.

I'm having a week with my British long combs ... Day 5

IMG_6171.JPG

Hot Towel
Tabac Shaving Soap
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Gillette Tech Long Comb
Gillette Super Thin (Vintage?) [1]
Tabac Aftershave
Tabac EDT

Bowl & Face Lathered
Three Pass - WTG, XTG & ATG

I'm sure this is a Frankenrazor, but it's a good one. Absolutely identical in every way to an early Tech except for the long comb and a Gillette Super Thin blade which I think is vintage - help me out, folks, is it?

So ends my week with British Long Combs.

What a great shave and what a great end to the run!

Tomorrow, I'll shave with the Tech equivalent of this razor - absolutely, completely and utterly the same but a solid guard Tech plate instead of the comb.

Back
Top Bottom