Wet shaving addiction??

Yep! One solitary Mach3 and a can of gel has somehow grown into 12 DE razors, 2 shavettes, 5 brushes, the world's supply of blades, soaps, creams, oils etc etc, you know what I mean.

I think we all had that one mach3 and canned gel.

However, i have one DE razor but two different heads which i alternate....one brush and 8 soaps.

I used to have multiple razors and brushes but sold them all off.

But, i am feeling the itch to buy more gear [emoji85]

Many soon hit the "wall" & a burnout stage. The average Western male adheres to a hobby for approx. four yrs. from what I've read. I have actually bought very little in the past 11 mos. and sold most of my razor collection back in the Fall of 2016. I went through RAD, SAD and BAD, but quickly came to my senses and liquidated most of it and made a little money to boot on some items. I use the same razor (Tech) now for 95% + of my shaving as it works perfectly for me (and millions since 1939) and now only have two black synthetic brushes, having sold the rest. I am finishing off several soaps before I even consider a new one having bought just a few samples in the last year mainly. I consider myself fortunate in that I was able to liquidate a lot of what I didn't need and make a profit. One day, if you're lucky, you will take a gander at all of it & say...

"How in the Hell did I end up with all this sh#$??!!"

Well I'm hoping that isn't me, I really enjoy all my razors so far and use them all in a rotation (I just wish my facial hair would grow quicker lol) but I'm actually starting to collect as a hobby too, I'm looking to buy a few vintage ones next to display and maybe have one stripped and cleaned then replated to add to my rotation of actual shaving tools.

Night shift is the worst, especially when its quiet and your sitting there with 3 or 4 different sites open, with soaps in the baskets, enough to get free postage and packaging, sure you may as well its money off the 2nd or 3rd soap, hoping a job comes in before you have to click buy then wonder what day it will arrive hoping its a weekday when your off and not coming home to the missus handing you a "we couldn't deliver your MORE SOAP note", not its not an addiction lol

Me too. Even have the local antique shops saved on my phone and frequently searching eBay. @Stoke-on-trent-shaver what did you use to hold the brushes in place? Love the shelf.
Hi Michael cushion, I went on eBay and ordered some 20mm by 2mm thick neodymium magnet discs and simply super glued them to the base of all my brushes thus allowing them to hang the right way to dry correctly and also with the disc being of good size they stand the right way up too without wobbling, I think it was about £4 for about 5 of them but they get cheaper as you buy more

I don't go looking for this stuff locally. Everything I is purchase online. I'm not that into DE gear even though I do enjoy DE shaving. I'm not a collector. I had 5 DE razors and once I found that I liked the Gillette Old style Open Comb, I sold (on Ebay) the rest.

One inexpensive boar brush is all I have and I'm not interested in more brushes. I do like some variety in soaps and cremes but nothing fancy there either (TOBS, Stirling, Prorase and Cella).

As far as the gear is concerned I'm more interested in straights. I shave with straights far less than with DE's however. All the straights I currently use (6) are inexpensive vintage straights from Ebay.

All the DE's and straights that I wasn't interested in and wasn't using I sold on Ebay and used the proceeds to buy more soap and creme. I have enough supplies (blades, soap, creme) to last about 1 1/2 years.

I'm pretty much just into using what I have now rather than acquiring more. If I need to look at something on Ebay I look at inexpensive vintage straights 6/8" round tips with non-black scales. If I buy too much I sell something as I'm really not into having a "collection".

I guess I'm still addicted in the sense that I'm spending more than I would with canned shaving cream and two bladed cartridges (which was cheap as well) but more was spent in the early stages when I was trying to figure out what I wanted/liked.

Hones for the straight razors were purchased but even those were inexpensive.

So, even though I may have spent as much as you guys, I'm not as addicted! :)

I don't go looking for this stuff locally. Everything I is purchase online. I'm not that into DE gear even though I do enjoy DE shaving. I'm not a collector. I had 5 DE razors and once I found that I liked the Gillette Old style Open Comb, I sold (on Ebay) the rest.

One inexpensive boar brush is all I have and I'm not interested in more brushes. I do like some variety in soaps and cremes but nothing fancy there either (TOBS, Stirling, Prorase and Cella).

As far as the gear is concerned I'm more interested in straights. I shave with straights far less than with DE's however. All the straights I currently use (6) are inexpensive vintage straights from Ebay.

All the DE's and straights that I wasn't interested in and wasn't using I sold on Ebay and used the proceeds to buy more soap and creme. I have enough supplies (blades, soap, creme) to last about 1 1/2 years.

I'm pretty much just into using what I have now rather than acquiring more. If I need to look at something on Ebay I look at inexpensive vintage straights 6/8" round tips with non-black scales. If I buy too much I sell something as I'm really not into having a "collection".

I guess I'm still addicted in the sense that I'm spending more than I would with canned shaving cream and two bladed cartridges (which was cheap as well) but more was spent in the early stages when I was trying to figure out what I wanted/liked.

Hones for the straight razors were purchased but even those were inexpensive.

So, even though I may have spent as much as you guys, I'm not as addicted! :)
Keep telling yourself that.......:) P.

Yes to all and more. Ordering the stuff at the office address and smuggling the goods home one at a time, so as not to arouse suspicion by a sudden encroachment on storage space!

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
A good tactical ploy I use is to put my stash in our holiday suitcase that sits on top of a wardrobe and remains there for most of the year.

If my wife tried to pull that off the top of our wardrobe the weight of it could cause serious damage. ;):D

Back
Top Bottom