What are you reading at the moment?

Me And My Brothers by Charlie Kray

I picked up this book in my local branch of Waterstones recently. It's by the elder brother of the Kray twins and is about their lives, but from a completely different perspective. I had heard of the book, but it's an old book now and I wasn't sure if it was still available, so I was really chuffed to find it. I'm thoroughly enjoying the book so far, and it's a real page-turner. I think that it is easily one of the best books ever written about the Krays. I give it a solid 10/10.

Wow, a powerful and moving read. The author was in the Hillsborough crush, and provides first hand witness testimony to what was happening around him. The first couple of chapters are a tad difficult. If you are curious about what happened on the 15/4/89, or have an interest in football this is a must read.

Anthony-Tempany-And-the-Sun-Shines-Now-GQ-9May17_b.jpg

Look Who It Is! My Story by Alan Carr

A friend of mine recently lent me his copy of this book, as I have always liked Alan Carr. I'm already halfway through it. It is a superb read, very funny and full of Alan Carr's wit and anecdotes. In fact, it is the funniest, most entertaining and enjoyable book that I have read in a long time. It's one of those books that I will be sorry to finish.

If there are any Alan Carr fans on here, then you should read this book, if you haven't already. You will love it. I've enjoyed every moment of it immensely.

image.jpg

I’ve been to London 4 maybe 5 times in my life. Would being a native enhance my appreciation of this book? Who knows; but not being a Londoner hasn’t made this book any less enjoyable. Part travelogue, part history and part psychogeographical exploration of London’s M25 periphery (and much more).

Hiya,

Might I recommend a spooky little book called 'The Howling' by Gary Brandner. Not read it myself but have heard very good things from people who enjoy creepy stories with light gore but plenty of unsettling ideas and characters. Done in the 80s, it turns out to be part of a nicely continued trilogy......an extra bonus!!

The first movie is quite good and the gore level is lots less than American Werewolf London. The 'horror' scenes are as well done however, though the slight whiff of humor in AWL isn't here. It's a dark film that I liked a lot but once was plenty.

The later movies got panned since no scripts besides the first were written by the author and the others didn't follow the books.

Martin

I'm currently reading Carrie by Stephen King. It's the first time that I've read this book. I love the film that is based on the book, and I thought that even the 2013 remake was decent. It's a fairly slim book, so it isn't going to take me an eternity to read it. I've found most of Stephen King's other books a struggle to get through, to be quite honest, but this one seems "easier". It's very good so far.

Kevin Sinfield - The Extra Mile. His autobiography.

What a person Kevin Sinfield is, and his autobiography is utterly heart warming. Very moving places. You cant help love him for his friendship with Rob Burrow, and raising 8m for the MND community. Oh, and he played rugby league and is now a coach with England. Great insight into captaincy and leadership too.

s-l500.jpg

images.jpeg.jpg
A friend at work heard us talking in the works Canteen about what it must have been like on D-day and he was telling us about his relative who started beach combing discovered there were around 1000 American soldiers etc lost their lives on a rehearsal exercise for it, called Exercise Tiger and they were conveniently forgotten.
He made it his lifes work to get these Americans sacrifice recognised by the American government and a fitting memorial put in place, as well as try and give remaining loved ones answers.
This is his book, It's a truly amazing story and a must read.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom