What are you reading at the moment?

Angels & Demons, obviously by Dan Brown. Having got a Nook earlier in the year, I decided to read The Da Vinci Code as I can remember wondering what all the fuss was about back in the day. Really enjoyed the latter but wish I'd read Angels first. It would appear that I got caught out by the chronology of the films rather than paying proper attention. No matter as it it's really rather good.

Finished with Animal Farm and had pretty much figured out the book within the first few chapters. But then I done history at school right up through 5th year and twigged relatively early on. Still a decent read though.
Now on to Steve Martin's autobiography

I rarely give up on a book. But just did.

Finally got round to reading Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. Gave up half way through. This short review sums up my thoughts too:

"Really struggling with this book. I am an avid reader of weighty, thought provoking material but this one fails to stir me. It is very crude, which I am fine with, but almost bordering on disturbed. Very strange book not sure if I can finish it. The characters are weak, boring and lazy."

Fido said:
I rarely give up on a book. But just did.

Finally got round to reading Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. Gave up half way through. This short review sums up my thoughts too:

"Really struggling with this book. I am an avid reader of weighty, thought provoking material but this one fails to stir me. It is very crude, which I am fine with, but almost bordering on disturbed. Very strange book not sure if I can finish it. The characters are weak, boring and lazy."

Yep, the characters are quite disturbing. I find it difficult to get through a book if I can't relate to, or at least like, any of the characters. I picked up Tropic of Capricorn a few months later and just quit after about 70 pages. He did have one hell of a sex life though didn't he? Lol

Just a few chapters into The Soft Machine by William Burroughs. Again, the characters are generally difficult to relate to, but his cut up technique adds something that bit deeper which keeps you intrigued.

Cheers
Bill

The Korean War by Max Hastings

So far a good read I like Max's war histories he seems to be able to pull the anecdotes together pretty well. He also manages to leave his politics out of them - mostly.

Night Song Of The Last Tram (A Glasgow Childhood) by Robert Douglas
It's funny and sad, a bitter sweet account of growing up in post war Maryhill. Although I'm from ayrshire, it's very reminiscent of stories my mother tells of tenement life from this period. Although I usually read fantasy it's great read so far!

The M Room: The Secret Listeners Who Bugged The Nazis. By Helen Fry
51KwV0KezTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX342_SY445_CR,0,0,342,445_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I gave up reading Those in Peril by Wilbur Smith after a particularly depraved, shocking and to me, unnecessary gang rape 'scene'. If it was a description of fact in a non-fiction title, it would have unsettled me probably even more however to insert such utter filth into a story of escapism is very poor form indeed. Wilbur Smith, ye auld gangrel ye, awa' an' bile yer heid!

Back
Top Bottom