What are you reading at the moment?

Griffo said:
Tall_Paul said:
Griffo said:
Really enjoyed Hyperion but the next one will have to wait.

Just started Game of Thrones.

You won't be reading the next Hyperion for a loooong time!

I envy you. Wish I could wipe my memory and read the Game of Thrones series 'fresh' again.

Just getting in to this big time. I see what you're saying. This could be taking up a lot of my time.

I haven't watched any of the TV series so I am completely coming in to this fresh.

Best way to do it I reckon. The books have so much more detail that the TV show only touches on. Then again that's the way it goes for any kind of adaptation to screen I suppose. The only annoying thing is that Georgie Boy is taking his time writing the next book(s) and I reckon he'll peg out before any sort of conclusion is reached. :icon_rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ever-Diplomat-Confessions-Foreign-Mandarin/dp/0007436017/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383846101&sr=8-1&keywords=diplomat

Some very interesting insights about people, events and international politics.

I read somewhere that GRRM has left an outline of the rest of the plot so that the TV series complete if he does "do a Robert Jordan".

I'm reading Sammy Hagar's autobiography. I like him less as a result, to be honest.

Just finished Ranulph Fiennes Living Dangerously.
Great man, very good author, loved it immensely. I have about 4 more of his books to get through, plus some more to buy.

Tried starting Frankie Boyles Work, Consume, Die, but only managed a couple of chapters.

Now onto The Flying Scotsman by Graeme Obree. I loved the film with Johnny Lee Miller, so far the book is (obviously) along very similar lines, but Graeme goes into a lot more darker details of his early life. Good read so far.

Just finished the last of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. Had a tummy bug a couple of weeks ago and since then I've rattled off the last five, got stuck near the start of Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol so am revisiting an old favourite, Alistair MacLean's The Last Frontier. Going to back over Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin books and fill in the gaps I missed. A couple of Tom Sharpe's might jump the queue before then though.

The Goldfinch by Donna Trott - her 3rd book since 1992 and 7 years since the last one. Something like 700 pages (although I read on Kindle) but it manages to keep your interest going pretty well. This book has been described as Dickensian - which is apt as I started it to take a break from reading Dickens from start to finish. Like Dickens, she does have a tendency to lapse into purple prose every now and then and I find myself switching off.

Finished the Mauritius Command. Loving the Aubrey Maturin series, but have been passed this by the Mother in Law so will give it a blast before my hopefully quick return to the high seas!
51ljVuTNazL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX342_SY445_CR,0,0,342,445_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Jack Force said:
Finished the Mauritius Command. Loving the Aubrey Maturin series, but have been passed this by the Mother in Law so will give it a blast before my hopefully quick return to the high seas!

Right, that's it. I've just finished Alistair McLean's The Last Frontier which was jolly good (I've read it at least thrice over the years) but now I know where to turn next. It's off to the high seas and the world of Jack Aubrey & Stephen Maturin, fo'c'sles, bosun's mates, poop decks, mizzen masts, royals, blocks and the creak of canvas not to forget the boom of cannon, black powder and the swashbuckling ship boarding. Got the lot on my laptop top so I best upload them to my Nook before six bells in the forenoon watch!

Back
Top Bottom