9e345c09.jpg

a4358419.jpg

de1b7453.jpg

f6467dd6.jpg

76968f21.jpg

10213c34.jpg

18ca5731.jpg

85f9e80c.jpg

I found two at car boots the rest were careful finds on eBay and swaps on another well known site , I have not paid over £30 For any razor The best one out of all I would say is the vintage 1930's aristocrat I paid £20 for a grooming kit and that was the razor in it. From a charity shop. On eBay. I have been offered over £200 for it buy a member on here ! :oops:

Steve

I'm not a collector, I'm a user, and most of my main razors are currently available so would be easy to replace if they got lost or damaged.

However, I would be a little annoyed if either of my Injectors or my gold-plated Tech went missing, as replacing these could be difficult.

I wouldn't class them as 'prized' though.

Ian

Those aren't razors Steve, they're more a retirement fund !

Guess I'm more like IanM in that I doubt my Merkur 11C or Gillette Slim adjustable really count as exotic pieces of equipment. Still, they're mine and I enjoy them.

JohnnyO. ;)

I am with Ian on this, razors are just nice tools to me. Don't get me wrong, if i was to lose some of them I would go out and replace 'em immediately. This would not be too great a problem (though a bit pricey), because i am not looking for mint examples.

At this point i would like to bring in morals taught to me by Toy Story 2 vis-a-vis: a well loved, used and abused Woody* versus a MIB Stinky Pete. No comparison.

Erm...... so to get back to the original question: Prized? None. Favourite? Rocket HD, Gold Aristocrat, FT SS :)

*F'narr!

I've 3 that I use in rotation, my Gillette flare, (at least I think that's what it is but Im guessing :oops: ) my Merkur 38C and my EJ DE87.
All do a good job but I probably like the old Gillette best although the TTO action constantly works loose when I'm shaving with it!
Maybe one day I'll understand and appreciate the magic of fatboys and aristocrats etc.but for the time being I like my little trio :)
regards beejay

sunburyboy93 said:
I found two at car boots the rest were careful finds on eBay and swaps on another well known site , I have not paid over £30 For any razor The best one out of all I would say is the vintage 1930's aristocrat I paid £20 for a grooming kit and that was the razor in it. From a charity shop. On eBay. I have been offered over £200 for it buy a member on here ! :oops:

Steve

Legend ,jammy git or both :lol: Nice one

I've resisted the temptation to collect razors. Those I tried but didn't delight got quickly passed on. I now just alternate between a Jagger Chatswoth,Merkur 38c and one I'll never part with - a 1951 Gillette Superspeed.

A Vision 2000 was my most expensive one, but traded it recently.

Now I'm into vintage TTOs, love them, but still cannot justify easily paying more than 50 quid for any one.

Steve (and others, of course) are doing the right thing: antique/thrift shops, e-bay (provided you know the rules well and can apply them likewise) and car boot / garage sales.

No matter what, I use all my razors, that's the beauty of it. So I'm with Ian and Mick on this. Keeping them behind the glass? Sorry, not for me.

Oh God – do I now have to start thinking about 'prized' razors?

I would get a birth year razor; the trouble is that I was born in 1974, and I would guess that there's not much out there that would tempt my fancy (I'm not a big fan of anything with a plastic component).

Lipsy

Well, erhh. I got a couple I prize high. I am a collector by nature, but I don´t have anything just for looks. Everthing must be used or go. I´ve got several Törnblom blades i prize highly, but I´ll only show one here. First one is the most pricey I´ve ever bought, a Friodur in custom scales - a real looker, I think:
44813d1277711051-sotd-sun-june-27th-sat-july-3rd-snb12581.jpg

One of my favourites, a Mappin and Webb "Trustworthy"
48240d1283498520-sotd-sun-august-29th-sat-september-4rd-snb13326.jpg

A very rare Heljestrand B K 42 in ivory scales:
45968d1279622922-sotd-sun-july-18th-sat-july-24rd-snb12866.jpg

This is a Heljestrand M K 42 6/8 I bought from France, lovely blade:
49884d1286355213-sotd-sun-october-3rd-sat-october-9th-snb13809.jpg

A Heljestrand MK 24 11/16, very very good shaver:
49478d1285575670-sotd-sun-september-26th-sat-october-3rd-snb13620.jpg

A very nice shaver I value high is this Wade and Butcher finest indian steel:
45727d1279187399-sotd-sun-july-11th-sat-july-17th-snb12798.jpg

This is a very nice Frederick´s "The Old English Razor":
44899d1277884125-sotd-sun-june-27th-sat-july-3rd-snb12627.jpg

This is a Thomas Turner in smoky horn scales:
50280d1287126394-sun-october-10th-sat-october-16th-picture-066.jpg

One of my latest additions is this lovely Törnblom "X" from Eskilstuna in ebony scales with mother of pearl inlays (lovely, lovely work by Neil):
49938d1286450630-sotd-sun-october-3rd-sat-october-9th-snb13817.jpg

And lastely (I´ll not bore you with more pics) my Aristocrat:
mikael-albums-de-picture8403-snb13956.jpg

Mikael, that's just filth!! :lol:

I really wish that straight shaving had worked for me. There's something about the pureness and simplicity that really appeals to me.

Anyway. At least I tried.

Ian

Mockingbird said:
Mikael: with the scales you got from Neil, did you choose them from a catalog?

I have a razor that could do with re-scaling, but can't seem to find the option on his site.

No catalog, but Neil´ll send you pics of raw material. In the beginning I often had thoughts about what to dress my blades in, but now I most often go with what Neil thinks is best. He´s very good to pick scales that goes best with a certain blade. My first custom job with Neil was when he picked out a Mappin and Webb blade and dressed it in transparante scales, I didn´t think it sounded very exciting, but it worked out very very nicely (I think, se abow).

Back
Top Bottom