What do you do when an auction ad is incorrect? [Poll]

What would YOU do?

• Option A

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • Option B

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Option C

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Something COMPLETELY different (see my answer below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've seen the topic come up a couple of times and I'm curious as to what the general thoughts on this topic is - so hence a poll. For fun. :D

(Note: If you're a Tapatalk user there's a poll posted with this thread that you might not be able to see through Tapatalk).

The scenario is as follows:

You're browsing your favorite online auction site and you happen to spot this really rare, rather valuable razor that is up for sale (think something like a mint Deluxe Darwin in box) - BUT it's apparent that the seller doesn't know what he is selling as the description simply reads "Old razor".
The auction ends in two days and right now the bid is at 5 quid.

Out of these four options what would YOU do?
(Pick the one closest to how you would act).

Option A
If it's a razor I want I'd keep my mouth shut and bid on it and hope it doesn't gets 'discovered'. The seller should had done his research.

Option B
I'm not personally interested in the razor and/or won't bid for whatever reason but also can't be bothered to contact the seller to let him know what he is selling. C'est la vie. On to the next razor.

Option C
I contact the seller right away telling him what he has and gives him a fair price estimate and recommends he should re-list it. It's the right thing to do I think.
Karma and all that.

I should clarify that there is no 'judgement' intended here - we all do what we feel is best and no one should be blamed for what he or she feels is the right course of action.

a is the way forward.
it is the sellers responsibility to research,describe and present the item in a way that will bring the best return. lazy sellers get poor prices.
finding such poorly represented items is what puts the excitement into scouring ebay =)

A for me too. People pick up razors cheap at car boot sales etc, I bet they're not telling the sellers that a mint Fatboy is worth more than £1.50.

Besdides, auction sites are cut-throat places full of snipers and artificially inflated postage rates.

It has to be A for an auction - the price is decided by the bidders. If there is more than one then the price will be driven up. It is the responsibility of the seller to describe the item.
I've sold plenty of cution items and it takes time to research and describe the items as best as possible. You get out what you put in, for the most part.

And I think the car boot analogy holds too - everyone is out to get a bargain. It's up to the individuals buying to decide if they wish to point out that an item is not what it is advertised as.
Anyway I'm still piqued by the Psycho debacle, so best ignore my rant!

Hmmm. Got to be an 'A' for me. It's up to the seller to research the potential value of the item (come on - it's EASY!). Even if I didn't want the razor, I don't want to spoil a bargain for someone else.

What do you do when an auction ad is incorre

dice.png

notthestig rolled 1d6 and got: 6.

Nico1970 said:
It's 'dog eat dog' out there. Option A all the way. Yippee ki yay!
Haha.... Yippee... Um, yes. How about some common humanity? Its fine to be tough until it's your turn to take it up the arse then it doesn't feel quite so cool.
At the end of the day, a man has to be able to face himself in the mirror. I wouldn't enjoy my shave if I had skanked someone for the razor.

Darren said:
Nico1970 said:
It's 'dog eat dog' out there. Option A all the way. Yippee ki yay!
Haha.... Yippee... Um, yes. How about some common humanity? Its fine to be tough until it's your turn to take it up the arse then it doesn't feel quite so cool.
At the end of the day, a man has to be able to face himself in the mirror. I wouldn't enjoy my shave if I had skanked someone for the razor.

Whoa, slow down brother. You are making a massive leap across the ethical boundary in talking about ‘skanking' someone :mad:.

OP's point is about an auction where the seller has not appreciated the reasonable market value of a razor. Would I personally draw that to the seller's attention – no, I wouldn't. That is most definitely within the normal ‘give and take' rules of an auction in my book; seller lists an item, and goes with the risk of what a buyer will pay – (that's) not skanking someone. And, presumably, the 20+ others on the forum who picked Option A above wouldn't deem it skanking either :icon_rolleyes:.

If I saw a mint Darwin, or Eclipse Red Ring that belonged to the late husband of a little old lady and said to her that I'll take the razor off her hands and put a pound or two in the charity box – that is skanking and, clearly, something I, personally, wouldn't do :angel:.

Massive difference indeed fella.

Back
Top Bottom