What is your favourite 5 blades from this list of 9

A year in, I have tried a decent number of different blades, but seem to find myself drawn to Astra SP or 7 O'Clock Yellows for every day shaves and usually get 3 good shaves per blade.

I occasionally like the extra sharpness of Feathers, usually won't go beyond 2 shaves, but that doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others - price per blade or price per shave is still hugely cheaper than the cartridges I used for years. I'm not looking to break world records, I'm looking for decent shaves.

I've only been DE shaving for a couple months so I've got lots of blades still to try but so far I'd rate my as favourites:

1. Feathers
2. Astra SP
3. Gillette 7 OC
4. Derby greens
5. Bolzano

Lots more to work through - fun isn't it :)

For what it's worth my top ten(ish) in no particular order (and throwing cost out the window):

MODERN:
Astra Superior Platinum
Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge
Super Iridium
Permasharp Stainless
Polsilver
Personna Medical Prep
Feather
7 o'clock Super Platinum (Indian, black packaging)
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless
Gillette Super Thins

VINTAGE/CEASED PRODUCTION/NOT THAT EASY TO GET HOLD OF:
Schick Krona/Super Chromium/Ultra Platinum/Platinum Plus
Gillette Platinum/Platinum Plus (from about late 60s to 2000 but avoid newer cardboard-only containers)
Nacet stainless/platinum
Gillette Super Stainless "the Spoiler"
English Wilkinson Sword ranges
Rapira Platinum Lux/Swedish Super Steel
Jianyu (swordfish)
Astra Keramik
Sputnik Teflon
Tiger stainless

Some of these are/may no longer be produced but still easy-ish to find so the boundaries are blurred somewhat. Some would argue the Personna '74 is the best blade ever but it's pretty abrasive for me.

Why not, it's a bit of fun. My top ten don't look much different to NTS:

Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless (green, Russia)
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (black, India)
Gillette Superthin (Thai version)
Rapira
Astra SP
Derby Extra
Gillette Super Platinum (blue packet, Russia)
Feather
Bolzano

Thought it's about time I gave an update on my progress with these blades..

I have used them all except for the wilkinson sword and the Lord Platinum, however
the Lord is the next one on my list to try. I have only used one blade from each pack
so far so my thoughts are not set in stone yet, however there were three blades that
I didn't like... The Crystals, Personna Platinums and Gillette Super Platinums (dark blue pack)

The Personna's and the Gillette's were a bit of a surprise as they seem to get an
above average level of praise. Out of those three the Gillette was the best, but not
very nice... but the Crystal and the Personna's were horrible for me. They felt dull,
rough, didn't shave close and left my face feeling raw.... and the alum block afterwards
made my face sting like a son of a bitch.... Horrid.

All the other blades were fine, and I would be ok using any of them, but the two
stand out blades of this sample pack for me are.... *drum roll*

Astra SP... really smooth, sharp, no irritation. The nicest blade I've used so far.
and
Shark Super Chrome... This was a big surprise for me, felt much the same to my
face as the Astra, I'm three shaves in and they have all been lovely.

As I said earlier I still have the Lord and Wilkinson to try, plus the kind PIF's I have
which include two Gillettes, the super thin and green 7 o'clock, plus a Polsilver and
a Perma Sharp.... So still have a good few to try. For now though the Astra SP is
definitely my new favourite, followed very very closely by the Shark Super Chrome.

All these blades have been used in my Merkur HD 34c using the same brush and
cream for consistency. I't been an interesting experiment after all these years of
using the same blade, and I now finally know why the Astra is on most peoples top
three....

Cheers.

Yeah, those Personna's and crystals were truly horrid for me, funny old world.

Anyway, the Lord Platinum got a go last night and it seemed much the same
as the feather for me. It felt rough but left me BBS after 3 passes and a
touch up and hardly a sting from the alum. So all in all a blade I would be
happy to use again. It's strange that a blade like this and the Feather can
feel so rough when shaving, but do a great job. Maybe it's the razor.

So still the Astra SP and Shark Super Chrome top the list for me.... so far.

Cheers.

Hi, Its funny that you mention this because I just opened and new Gillette 7 o'clock green one just to find out that an ASTRA blade was packed into it ! :s

49er said:
Rico said:
Thanks Norky.... No rush though, I'm going to try a Feather then an Astra then
the 7 o'clock (dark blue russian) first and I will only shave once every two days
to give them all the fairest assesment I can. I have a hunch I am going to really
like the Astra.

Does anyone know is the Astra is the same blade as any of the Gillettes or
is it a blade unto itself..? Thanks again.

The Astra is a Gillette. So far as I know, no one has got to the bottom of the long list of P&G owned blades to find out if any of them are the same blade repackaged.

Back
Top Bottom