What Watch Are You Wearing Today?

My watchmaker (repairer, servicer, cleaner, etc.) says Oris are his favourite movements to work on. He reckons they are seriously underrated.

Rev-O said:
My watchmaker (repairer, servicer, cleaner, etc.) says Oris are his favourite movements to work on. He reckons they are seriously underrated.

Both of mine have been a reliable as anything else I've had so can't complain. Oris service costs have escalated over the years though, so a while back I found an independent who could do the servicing. He also sold watches, I never stood a chance.

Seamaster today

14597466956_62796820a2_z.jpg

Happy birthday NS a couple of nice watches.....

This has been on the wrist quite a bit over the last few weeks i do want to change the strap though if im going to wear it more.........
IMAG0127_1_zps64d470e4.jpg

Cheers guys. I do live the simplicity of the Mondaine, SWMBO did well with that. I like the brown dial on the Mini Monster. I was surprised that it is bigger than my other one.

Dave.B said:
Happy birthday NS a couple of nice watches.....

This has been on the wrist a quite a bit over the last few weeks i do want to change the strap though if im going to wear it more.........
IMAG0127_1_zps64d470e4.jpg

Nice watch.

Rev-O said:
Tell you what Jaycee, meet me at the river. And bring a few of your favourite watches. We'll go fly fishing. It's a remote location, miles from anywhere and anything could happen. Accidents, I mean. There'll be deep water, maybe a shotgun discharging unexpectedly, one never knows. No witnesses. An out of the way spot. Ah, yes, fishing. Let's do it!
:icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

Oh dear. Lord have mercy. I've just bought three more "1215" Smiths -- two of which are very early models and need some attention. I think I paid a little over the odds for them but when they've been serviced and (hopefully) coaxed back to life I'll sell one of them.

I do have a thing for Smiths -- I grew up in Cheltenham and they stopped making their own in-house movements there the year I was born (1971). Purely a coincidence and not my fault.

Jaycee has got two of my old watches, Hunnymoster has another. I always regret selling them and miss every one I've ever owned (except, oddly, the army-issued W10 --- which I never really liked but is arguably their most famous and desirable model, short of the super rare ones such as the De Luxe issued to the Australian army, the automatic movement ones and of course Sir Edmund Hilary's very own 1215 that he took up Everest.)

Anyway, here's some q&d pics. Expect one of them to come up on B/S/T sometime.

Details are:

Smiths 12-15 model RG 0313 circa 1950 early pattern English wristwatch. (The name “12-15” means 12 ligne in size, 15 jewels in the movement.) Housed in a 3 piece case constructed of chromed front and centre with a stainless steel back. Case width 31mm. Military style luminous hands (one here has “dagger hands” the other "syringe” hands). Dial markings are printed luminous Arabic numbers.

Manual wound movement with frosted gilt finish, lever escapement, one piece straight line click and click-spring. Balance with screws and flat hairspring, “C” series movement with low serial number, signed Smiths.

The RG 0313 was one of the first post war English watches, produced from about 1947 onwards when Smiths switched from war work (clocks and timers etc) to domestic civilian timepieces. (Acknowledgement and credit -- some of this info is from A J Merrins www.smithswatches.com)

Back
Top Bottom