What's a good starter fountain pen

Hi all, while in middle school I used cartridge fountain pens but have not used one for along time. What do you recommend as a starter pen/ink and where is a good place to buy from? Cheers

It won't be on the radar here but Rotring art pens are very fine scribblers, I'd recommend the M nib, smooth as and very comfortable.

Lamy is a very good and reasonably priced pen, with the added bonus of using either cartridges or filling from a bottle...Very nice pen to write with too.

The Pen Shop............there is one in Leeds town centre...I daren't go in there anymore though, as the temptations are far too great....They also sell online...............Kiddy in sweetie shop springs to mind.

monkeytennis said:
Was going.to ask if it.was worth looking a second hand pens? Where tends to be the best places to look?

i have found some at Car boots (but alot were in C**p condition, chewed ends bent nibs etc etc, have a look on e-bay, plenty about....but i would recommend a Parker 45
like the one on the link, great pen.....

Steve

I have collected fountain pens for nearly 20 years, once you catch the bug beware !!!, A good top end pen would be a Sheaffer Legacy, buttery smooth inlaid nib, then there is Sailor pens from Japan, probably the smoothest nib's made today & the Sailor Sapporo would also be a good starter pen in the £100 region. If Budget is high the UK's two premier companies are Conway Stewart & Onoto where the sky is the limit ! Vintage pens are a whole different world ! Parker 51's are easy to get hold of & a good source of vintage pens is Andy's Pens, good hunting !

Ok,ok I have resisted long enough, when I was kid at school there was only one Parker pen to be seen with ....... the 25 my one is still going and works,not a posh pen but reliable.
And yes I did have a fetish for pens,and NO I ain't going back there

I currently have a Parker 15, 2 Parker 25s, 2 Parker 45s (one British, one Spanish), a Parker 17 "Lady" and a Duofold... all are wonderful to hold and use - although I used a 25 (one with a green barrel) all through school & university, I find myself gravitating to the 15 at the moment.

As for ink - well there's the ubiquitous Parker Quink. Seems to take forever to dry though (at least 5-6 seconds). I'm loaded up with Diamine Aqua Blue (they have 95 in the range) at the moment but have some Lamy & Platinum on hand to try :)

John said:
Ok,ok I have resisted long enough, when I was kid at school there was only one Parker pen to be seen with ....... the 25 my one is still going and works,not a posh pen but reliable.
And yes I did have a fetish for pens,and NO I ain't going back there

i have a few 25's Fountain and ball pen sets very 70's looking, i really like them....

Back
Top Bottom