What's a good starter fountain pen

Dr Rick said:
monkeytennis said:
Hi all, while in middle school I used cartridge fountain pens but have not used one for along time. What do you recommend as a starter pen/ink and where is a good place to buy from? Cheers

Do you instinctively hold a pen "properly"? If not I would definitely recommend the Lamy Safari, it has finger contours. They are widely regarded as the best of the cheap but not dirt cheap bunch. They seem to be the hip and happening poem among our current lower school, but don't let that put you off :).

For dirt cheap but with higher running costs, the disposable Pilot V-Pens are fabulous, write beautifully, and if you won't use a pen - or, say, a particular color - often, they don't dry up. I have a few lying around in strategic locations.

Both available from cult pens, whose service is beyond reproach in my experience.

the pilot pens are scratchy compared to my lamy safari

the nib that came with it M was scratchy as well, when i swapped nib for a F it became a lot smoother

Dr Rick said:
Do you instinctively hold a pen "properly"? If not I would definitely recommend the Lamy Safari, it has finger contours. They are widely regarded as the best of the cheap but not dirt cheap bunch. They seem to be the hip and happening pen among our current lower school, but don't let that put you off :).

For a starter for a kid that's a pretty strong recommendation... he's choosing the colour now :)

Cult Pens FFS - 4th order in a week! It's cult alright.

Yeah I've been using the Pilot V7 and V5 pens for years. By far my favourite disposable.
The very cheap £5-£10 Parkers always break very quickly for me (nib leaks badly or dries up)

Re: RE: What's a good starter fountain pen

hunnymonster said:
For a starter for a kid that's a pretty strong recommendation... he's choosing the colour now :)

Cult Pens FFS - 4th order in a week! It's cult alright.

I hope he likes it!

They used, just a couple of years ago, to be little-seen at our place, but now they're everywhere. I reckon there are seven or eight out of 21 in my year seven class, so they seem to be contagious.

NotTheStig said:
Yeah I've been using the Pilot V7 and V5 pens for years. By far my favourite disposable.
The very cheap £5-£10 Parkers always break very quickly for me (nib leaks badly or dries up)

friend tried copying me and using a fountain pen at college but every lesson he had ink all over hands and pen leaked.

some people never learn.

buy a well made pen and it wont leak, doesn't have to be expensive for it to not leak

Reading this reminds me of my pen at school. Parker 25 that my grandad bought for me.
No idea where it is, probably lost, so would like another.
And my writing at work with cheap crappy bic biros needs work.

If I recall correctly my Lamy Safari was bought in 1985, on the recommendation of one of my teachers. The usual description of as my handwriting at school was that it looked like a drunken spider had marched across the page. These days the spider is slightly more sober.

RB73 said:
What sort of prices should we be looking at for the boxed and loose Parker 15 - 25 and 45's.

New to this so would like a rough idea really.

Thanks in advance.

Look on eBay my good man the 25 is now vintage but the 15 and 45 are still being made.

RB73 said:
What sort of prices should we be looking at for the boxed and loose Parker 15 - 25 and 45's.

New to this so would like a rough idea really.

Thanks in advance.

I set myself a budget of £15 per pen into my hand... lots of nice examples have found their way into my clutches - including a 1950s UK duofold, boxed with instructions... and so far I've not broken my self-imposed limit (or felt the need to)

My Lamy pen. Had for four years and used as a fountain pen till yesterday when the first cartridge went in
IMAG0387.jpg

i perfer to use my z24 lamy converter

img20120604202319.jpg

thats the red thing in pic

bassically dunk tip of fountain pen in bottle of ink then twist to fill, wipe done

i don't like carrying cartridges for fountain pens cause ive seen a load of people i know have them leak every wear

a glass bottle with a good lid is a much better alternative

i keep it in the box it came in with a cloth to wipe it.

ive gone through at least 30 cartridges worth of ink and not had any problems

the problem ive got is the ink catridges are held on by friction, by replacing them you are wearing it down so it is looser till it eventually leaks, by using a converter you dont cause as much wear because you only take it out to replace it if it breaks (unlikely)

if someone knows of a fountain pen where the cartridges screw in then let me know and ill try it

Back
Top Bottom