What's a good starter fountain pen

Sheaffer Preludes have a system where the cartridge is punctured and forced into place as you screw the barrel on, so while it's still a push-fit it's firmly held. That said I use mine with converters anyway.

Since the cartridges are considerably softer than the part that punctures them I don't think I'd be unduly worried ... worst that would happen is that the hole punctured would be smaller.

Much like slicing a loaf with a bread knife... they don't make knives from bread because its too soft :)

I've been doing some research on Lamy pens.
I think I'll get one, but I love the look of the Lamy Joy, but it comes with a calligraphy nib. I could just replace the nib, but not sure if its worth it.

hunnymonster said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1502783/Fountain-pens-too-risky-for-under-14s.html

Seems I'm breaking the law procuring a pen for my son....

At 14 you get issued with a "provisional" pen licence, then after a year of tutoring and training from a Teacher/Parent/Guardian/appropriate adult, you then take a theory test so you understand the huge responsibility that having a pen involves and then a practical test at school or at a designated testing centre.

Once passed you can use Crayons, felt tips, biros, FP's ball points etc, if you want to use larger pens like highlighters or marker pens you have to take an additional test to add them to your licence because of the larger size and risks involved.... :s:angel:

Sunburyboy93 said:
hunnymonster said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1502783/Fountain-pens-too-risky-for-under-14s.html

Seems I'm breaking the law procuring a pen for my son....

At 14 you get issued with a "provisional" pen licence, then after a year of tutoring and training from a Teacher/Parent/Guardian/appropriate adult, you then take a theory test so you understand the huge responsibility that having a pen involves and then a practical test at school or at a designated testing centre.

Once passed you can use Crayons, felt tips, biros, FP's ball points etc, if you want to use larger pens like highlighters or marker pens you have to take an additional test to add them to your licence because of the larger size and risks involved.... :s:angel:
I dont have a pen licence , does that mean I don't have a pen MOT no insurance, no paper tax? Badass!!!!:dodgy:

hunnymonster said:
Thanks for clearing that up... hope there's not a similar testing regime for use of self-adhesive tapes ;)

RB73 said:
Was hoping for a stipulation of Steve's elevation to the mod team that he had to reinstate and continue to upkeep the sellotape blog.:icon_razz:

:blush::blush::blush:

i was trying to get Fido to bring out a new line of High Quality Sticky Tapes made in the New Forest...........:icon_razz:

but when i sent him a PM about it he swore at me :icon_sad:

First I've heard of it, and I don't remember any such slip with my Waterman. Certainly any school where they charge you to educate your kids is still likely to require fountain pen use - perhaps ironically, especially so for the younger ones.

Under-fives I can imagine, but fourteen? Frankly if you're more than eight or nine and choking yourself on pen lids, that's just evolution in action.

(At this point I feel I should remind you that opinions expressed are not intended to represent any held by my employer, or even necessarily me later.)

Dr Rick said:
First I've heard of it, and I don't remember any such slip with my Waterman. Certainly any school where they charge you to educate your kids is still likely to require fountain pen use - perhaps ironically, especially so for the younger ones.

Under-fives I can imagine, but fourteen? Frankly if you're more than eight or nine and choking yourself on pen lids, that's just evolution in action.

(At this point I feel I should remind you that opinions expressed are not intended to represent any held by my employer, or even necessarily me later.)

too much health and safety has stopped natural selection

the gene pool needs a little chlorine

Health and safety just ruins everything. I stayed on as a young leader at my scout group and it seemed the younger lads were no longer allowed to get up.to half the things I did. And even then they had no idea of safe limits and just assumed they would be saved by someone when they did something stupid. Was very worrying especially on night hikes/winter camps. But when we tried to pass stuff on their parents complained. Was so sad when the winter camp was cancelled as parents wouldn't send their kids.

I wonder when people will get tired of health and safty, it creeps into every thing people want to do, you can only wrap people in Cotton wool so much befour they start complaining about it.

Back
Top Bottom