What's the strangest food?

Garbe said:
Johnus said:
Lived in Spain and Argentina for awhile. Eat quite a few "different " things. One that sticks out was 'octopus in its own ink'. Not one of my favorites.

That would be squid, they have the ink.

I've tired snails, shark and octopus, didn't like the latter.

The squid in its own ink wasn't bad. The octopus , which my memory just flashed back to, was a pinkish red with a watery purplish blue liquid. Yum!

pugh-the-special-one said:
Yep passengers Carl on those beautiful Med cruises, even now when I think back being from the South Wales Valleys then over the next few weeks I would be docking in Athens, Rome, Lisbon Vigo, Algiers, Tangiers, amazing experience as a young boy still think a lot about those days, the service and food was exceptional.

Jamie

You put in a nutshell the feeling that kept me going back but on a world stage. I will never forget coming out of the Engine Room after we'd shut down and realising that first time that we were tied up to Australia, I was on the other side of the world! Me! Folk where I was from went to Skegness and Cromer, not Australia!

I've had tripe, pig's ear, sweatbreads, lamb's heart (not all in the same meal, I hasten to add), and a raw prawn as part of a sushi/sashimi dish in Victoria, BC. Tonight we're having pig cheeks!

One thing I'd like to try, for a dare, is surströmming...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

One thing I don't think I could ever eat is balut (this page contains a photo that might make you chunder)...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)

Horse salami (nice, pretty tough though), and just had snails yesterday at a nice French restaurant. They're like seafood (think squid) in texture, taste mushroomy.

Now Marty, you should try that cow's tongue boiled - there's an awesome Eastern European dish based on it. After you boil it to a thick broth (with some peppercorns, bay leaves, carrots, maybe onion and a bit of garlic), dissolve some gelatine and put in a fridge to thicken up to a jelly texture. Awesome.

Boiled chicken necks are amazing too, as well as hearts - in a soup especially.

I had horse burger (not knowingly), sea urchin and snails in Italy and they were all nice but I probably wouldn't have horse again. I used to teach Japanese students in the UK and like most Japanese food I've tried but most of the students said natto was disgusting. My dad tried puppy (again unknowingly) when he was in the merchant navy in the 60s.

HWMOM had squid in ink in Bilbao, but I think the combination of massive salt attack, and black was too much for him. Every meal we had in Bilbao was so salty, it was untrue. Eventually, I tried a salad, thinking surely that won't be covered in salt. Wrong! The lettuce leaves were glistening with crystals of the stuff. The churros was very good though.
Yak meat plain boiled; bestest ever.

Helveticum said:
Horse salami (nice, pretty tough though), and just had snails yesterday at a nice French restaurant. They're like seafood (think squid) in texture, taste mushroomy.

Now Marty, you should try that cow's tongue boiled - there's an awesome Eastern European dish based on it. After you boil it to a thick broth (with some peppercorns, bay leaves, carrots, maybe onion and a bit of garlic), dissolve some gelatine and put in a fridge to thicken up to a jelly texture. Awesome.

Your cows tongue procedure is very similar to my family's "Pigs Feet" receipt .except you don't need to add gelatin because it makes its own.

Agree on the chicken necks; the two parts that I wouldn't try were chicken feet and brains. Yes, the ones left in the heads that you sucked out. Just couldn't do that one.

Helveticum said:

Your cows tongue procedure is very similar to my family's "Pigs Feet" receipt .except you don't need to add gelatin because it makes its own.

Agree on the chicken necks; the two parts that I wouldn't try were chicken feet and brains. Yes, the ones left in the heads that you sucked out. Just couldn't do that one.

The other day I asked my butcher if he could source woodcock, apparently you're supposed to suck the pea-sized brains out of their heads after you've cooked em. Luke Nguyen, a cracking Vietnamese/Australian chef once said, "always eat the head of everything", and having sucked the stuff out of a prawn's head I have to agree. Well, to a point I suppose.

hunnymonster said:
Did the bush tucker thing crossing Australia by motorbike in 1991... Witchetty grubs... Cold: like writhing cold snot. Hot: like hot writhing snot. Supposed to taste like almonds, but taste like no almonds I've ever clapped my cake hole around.

Brilliant - made me laugh out really loud.

I've eaten all sorts of things that are usually consigned to the bin, but here's a small handful of oddities:

First up, Hàkarl. It's fermented shark flesh. Icelandic. You take said shark, which is so full of ammonia that it is poisonous to eat in any amount, bury it and an anaerobic fermentation happens, breaking down the ammonia. A few months later, dig it up and leave it to cure in the north Atlantic wind for a few weeks.

Cube up and sell to tourists. It is, simply put, one of the worst tastes in the world. The whiter it is, the stronger the flavour. I had a bowl of the stuff in Reykjavik. I found it perfectly palatable, but very strong indeed. Like a mouthful of petrol and it did not get any less through the day, no matter how much else I ate or drunk.

Google it, have a laugh at folks spitting it out or throwing it up.

Second, Andouilette Sausage. No, not Andouille, Andouilette. So proud are the French of this curious delicacy, they have an amicable society of said sausage fanciers.

A pal of mine brought me a couple back from a short break to Paris. This is the same friend that brought me sheep brain back from Iceland and a smoked reindeer heart back from Sweden. Yup! I loved 'em both. Anyway, this sausage ...

You take a pig, butcher it, move the meat on for human consumption, ears, snout and so on go to pet stores, trotter and whatnot for gelatine, grind everything else edible up and sell them as budget sausages ... and you're left with the lower intestine and the colon. Slice up the colon and lower intestine, packing it into a casing of a length of intestine and you're done!

Yes, it tastes of arse! Apparently, that pissour flavour is the attraction! Go figure. I found it not the least bit palatable and it's another one that stays with your the whole day.

Lately, I was introduced to this curious idea:

IMG_2938.JPG

Yes, they're mealworms. This, I actually liked. I'm not sure I could stomach the idea of beetles, cockroaches, even pupae, but larvae like this are fine. Just think crunchy prawns and you're there ... good flavour, slightly citrus.

Used to think eating horse burgers when in the Czech Republic was a strange food, but then it turned out we had all been eating them for years!!!! Elk meat is probably the strangest I have had - in an IKEA lasagne.

Back
Top Bottom