Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Imperia La Roccia

• Suehiro Gokumyo

• Arkansas Translucent

• Total voters
Well Martyn I personally think they are well worth the extra cost having owned both those sets of stones Naniwa super stones and Naniwa Chosera stones, the Chosera stones are much harder easier to clean need no soaking and cut faster, but they also need to be stored in a dry cool enclosed inviroment as there have been issues with Chosera's if soaked not dried correctly and improper storage. PS personally I've never had any problems with mine.

mikew said:
Wow, the chosera 10k seems like a lot of money.

Michael that's why I purchased the Snow White half the cost of the Chosera 10K and many honers say it's as good as the Chosera 10K, the Snow White is my favourite stone you won't believe how quick that cuts for a 8K plus my Naniwa 8K could never polish an edge as good as that Snow White stone does.

Thanks Jamie, I shall have to have a think on that, as my honing skill progresses I would like to try some other stones. I was thinking a coti next, but not totally sure at the present. With my silly working hours I only really have the time to practice with a straight once a week, so its a slow process to become skilled enough to try shaving with the razors I'm honing:icon_razz:

mbnu54 said:
Thanks Jamie, I shall have to have a think on that, as my honing skill progresses I would like to try some other stones. I was thinking a coti next, but not totally sure at the present. With my silly working hours I only really have the time to practice with a straight once a week, so its a slow process to become skilled enough to try shaving with the razors I'm honing:icon_razz:

Martyn buy yourself a really nice razor get it honed correctly then buy yourself one stone a 12K Naniwa and a strop and you could pretty much maintain that razor forever.

Jamie, I've got the 12000 Naniwa, 2 strops I made myself from 3" veg tanned leather and cotton linen. I have the 6/8 Bengall, which is a very nice razor, and the one I'm sticking with to perfect my shaving technique. All I meant was the only way to make sure a razor is shave ready, is to actually shave with it. But I'm definately not ready to try any different blades, as last time I did I nearly took my cheek off, trying to run before I could walk.

trench said:
Nishy said:
I have the 15k welsh natural 3' honing stone around £30 of eBay, new. Does the job fantastically.

Wish I'd known they were that good before shelling out on my Sharon glass 16k.

Its a good stones and produces a nice shaving edge but my 12K Naniwa improves the edge from from it so I would its not 15K (equivalent).

Jeltz said:
trench said:
Nishy said:
I have the 15k welsh natural 3' honing stone around £30 of eBay, new. Does the job fantastically.

Wish I'd known they were that good before shelling out on my Sharon glass 16k.

Its a good stones and produces a nice shaving edge but my 12K Naniwa improves the edge from from it so I would its not 15K (equivalent).
I do think the naniwas are better stones. This being natural as well may vary slightly I use it straight after a Chinese 13k and it works a treat with several slurry stones. Just a cheaper option perhaps.

pugh-the-special-one said:

mikew said:
Wow, the chosera 10k seems like a lot of money.

Michael that's why I purchased the Snow White half the cost of the Chosera 10K and many honers say it's as good as the Chosera 10K, the Snow White is my favourite stone you won't believe how quick that cuts for a 8K plus my Naniwa 8K could never polish an edge as good as that Snow White stone does.

I agree with Jamie, the Snow White is a beautiful stone, stopped using the Super Stone 10k because of it :).

I love The Naniwa's. My current setup is chosera 800, 2k, 5k, ss10k and a Gokumyo 20k. I currently have a 8k Snow White on order to replace the SS 10k as it clogs up to much. So my advice would be the Snow White. I had some trouble locating one, in the end I was able to order one at Amazon Germany with free delivery to the Netherlands.

tonybee46 said:
I love The Naniwa's. My current setup is chosera 800, 2k, 5k, ss10k and a Gokumyo 20k. I currently have a 8k Snow White on order to replace the SS 10k as it clogs up to much. So my advice would be the Snow White. I had some trouble locating one, in the end I was able to order one at Amazon Germany with free delivery to the Netherlands.
So you are advising people to buy the Snow White even though you have not used it yet?

You are right Rob, looking back at my post I should not have put it that way. As I was only trying to point out where you could buy the Snow White at the moment an advise should have been left out.

Has anyone got a link to where the 'Snow White' can be purchased?

I've looked on Amazon germany and one that's available looks the same as the yellow 8000 I already have.

Tall_Paul said:
Has anyone got a link to where the 'Snow White' can be purchased?

I've looked on Amazon germany and one that's available looks the same as the yellow 8000 I already have.

I checked and it's still available
[attachment=13875]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430647295.071571.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430647295.071571.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 18
tonybee46 said:
You are right Rob, looking back at my post I should not have put it that way. As I was only trying to point out where you could buy the Snow White at the moment an advise should have been left out.

Tony, I just realised my comment came across as abrupt - it wasn't intended to. I hope you enjoy the new stone.

That's alright Rob, it was my own writing I wasn't happy with. I always enjoy taking on a new hone and I have some razors waiting for its arrival.

Back
Top Bottom