Why do people go to the extend to spend considerably more for Titanium shaving hardware?

Merkurologist

LeJog 2022 Finisher
As in the title, I don't get it!!! Am I missing something?

I'm quite happy to pay more for stainless steel, I like the extra weight and the durability of a lifetime, probably more.

I have a push bike made of titanium that cost considerably more than stainless steel but it comes with several attributes that are desired on a bicycle, lightweight, strengh, durability, smothness of ride and you don't have to worry about corrosion so I totally understand why cyclists might be willing to spend more on Ti.

A while back, ATT came up with a line of razors made from copper, they look nice but I thought it was duff idea :)

I'd like to know why people are happy to spend more on Ti razor, surely it's the extra strength ;)

I understand titanium in respect to bicycles, some Hifi and other strength vs weight applications, but in the context of a razor I am not so sure.

Extra strength? It is only a razor at the end of the day and not going to be used for carpentry or metal working.

Plus I must say it is a dreadful looking metal.

I have failed badly using aluminum heads so just give me some weight and something assertive.

Last edited:
I remember reading an article (can't find it now) on razor materials and it nicely summarised what we all already know - there's no technical benefit to titanium but it has a nice exclusivity to it.

If you want a light and strong razor material, aluminium is perfect. There's some misselling on many razor forums that aluminium is a poor and weak razor material. This is nonsense. I work in an industry where assets probably have the hardest life you can imagine and aluminium is a regular choice for components. I find it hard to believe that anyone can create an environment in their bathroom that may endanger an aluminium razor.

I have absolutely nothing against titanium razors but I hope people buy them for the right reason rather than the incorrect assumption that an aluminium razor has no longevity.

I always thought and I could be wrong that you can't that stainless polished look with Aluminium , so thats why Titanium comes in as it can be polished. That said they make many matt finished Titanium razors too.

I always thought and I could be wrong that you can't that stainless polished look with Aluminium , so thats why Titanium comes in as it can be polished. That said they make many matt finished Titanium razors too.
That's right Russ - polished aluminium would not last long as the the surface of the metal develops a layer of aluminium oxide that actually protects it.

I may sound like some kind of expert - I'm not. Just a basic knowledge I've picked up from industry over the years.

I remember reading an article (can't find it now) on razor materials and it nicely summarised what we all already know - there's no technical benefit to titanium but it has a nice exclusivity to it.

If you want a light and strong razor material, aluminium is perfect. There's some misselling on many razor forums that aluminium is a poor and weak razor material. This is nonsense. I work in an industry where assets probably have the hardest life you can imagine and aluminium is a regular choice for components. I find it hard to believe that anyone can create an environment in their bathroom that may endanger an aluminium razor.

I have absolutely nothing against titanium razors but I hope people buy them for the right reason rather than the incorrect assumption that an aluminium razor has no longevity.

Good great info there.

I'm not really into shaving hardware that much, be it SS or Ti razors, but I'm aware of a few highly regarded SS razors eg ASD2 but I know nothing about Ti ones. Can someone provide some links of ones which are well liked?

I'd like to know why people are happy to spend more on Ti razor...

You answer yourself in your own OP:

I'm quite happy to pay more..., I like the durability of a lifetime, probably more.

...titanium('s)... cost (is) considerably more than stainless steel but it comes with several attributes that are desired..., lightweight, strengh, durability, smothness of ride and you don't have to worry about corrosion so I totally understand why ... (people) might be willing to spend more on Ti.

surely money is relevant and it's just down to an individual's choice,
if you can afford expensive then (that's) what you like. i'm getting a solid gold one made once i extract all of gold from Mike tyson's teeth
all help appreciated

Last edited:
As in the title, I don't get it!!! Am I missing something?

I'm quite happy to pay more for stainless steel, I like the extra weight and the durability of a lifetime, probably more.

I have a push bike made of titanium that cost considerably more than stainless steel but it comes with several attributes that are desired on a bicycle, lightweight, strengh, durability, smothness of ride and you don't have to worry about corrosion so I totally understand why cyclists might be willing to spend more on Ti.

A while back, ATT came up with a line of razors made from copper, they look nice but I thought it was duff idea :)

I'd like to know why people are happy to spend more on Ti razor, surely it's the extra strength ;)

I agree can't see the point myself. Great for bikes, body jewellery etc

Back
Top Bottom