Wilkinson Sword Brush

I was given one of these widely available brushes as a PIF by Factormax. My usual brush is a EJ Best Badger (large) which I'm quite happy with.

Cost Well, I got this for free but they are pretty ubiquitous in supermarkets and chemists throughout the land and shouldn't put you back more than £4-5
Quality Adequate. Black moulded plastic handle. Made in Germany, presumably in large numbers.
Density No where near as dense as my EJ badger brush
Stiffness of tips Stiffer than badger
Softness of tips Actually a lot better than I expected
Ergonomics I prefer my EJ badger but the Wilkinson is OK
Latherability Very good. I've tried it with MWF, Cella, Tabac and Palmolive and it's very good at getting up a lather. It is probably easier to produce a good lather with MWF than my badger brush BUT it doesn't retain that much lather (probably a consequence of lower density of hairs and boar perhaps not being as good at retaining lather). I would always have to recharge the brush if using MWF whilst I would rarely have to do this with my badger brush.

So overall, it's a cheap brush which offers excellent value for money but there are far better brushes out there. I'm happy to have it as a spare or as a travelling brush. It would never replace my EJ badger brush but I was impressed as to how well boar can produce a good lather with soaps and a more dense boar brush would be worth trying (perhaps I need to splash out on a semogue ;) )

Attachments

• Wilkinson Sword brush.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 530
they do two versions of this brush.. a synthetic and a boar... this may be what confuses people.

the one in tesco is marked as pure bristle and is boar based. The other one is marked as synthetic i believe.

My wilky is my travel brush. It performs fine not as good as my Omega Boar or my badgers but it does the job especially with soap. I can just about get 3 passes worth with boots soap but while I'm away I rarely do more than 2 passes and a buff.

they actually do a synthetic one as well which is a lot softer

got a wilkinsons ones free with a shavette kit, fell apart after 4months (march- around jury)

the one i bought to replace it from supermarket (another wilkinsons) was a lot softer and it didnt like it

that was before i started to go on any forums (badger and blade, then eventually here)

Paul_D said:
I was given one of these widely available brushes as a PIF by Factormax. My usual brush is a EJ Best Badger (large) which I'm quite happy with.

Cost Well, I got this for free but they are pretty ubiquitous in supermarkets and chemists throughout the land and shouldn't put you back more than £4-5
Quality Adequate. Black moulded plastic handle. Made in Germany, presumably in large numbers.
Latherability Very good. I've tried it with MWF, Cella, Tabac and Palmolive and it's very good at getting up a lather. It is probably easier to produce a good lather with MWF than my badger brush BUT it doesn't retain that much lather (probably a consequence of lower density of hairs and boar perhaps not being as good at retaining lather). I would always have to recharge the brush if using MWF whilst I would rarely have to do this with my badger brush.

So overall, it's a cheap brush which offers excellent value for money but there are far better brushes out there. I'm happy to have it as a spare or as a travelling brush. It would never replace my EJ badger brush but I was impressed as to how well boar can produce a good lather with soaps and a more dense boar brush would be worth trying (perhaps I need to splash out on a semogue ;) )

Johnus said:
Paul_D said:

Used boar Wilkinson for years - it works well with hard soaps, but once I discovered badger brushes there was no going back. For the price I think it is a good product.

Back
Top Bottom