william lennon boots

im looking for a well made pair of leather boots, and im particularly interested in the william lennon boots. i saw these mentioned on the 'brogues' thread by graeme, and im very interested in getting a pair.
im just looking for opinions on them regarding size and customising, some of the designs for the hob nailed boots i like but dont want the hobnails, and as i wont be able to try them for size id like to be sure before i buy. the WWI replica boots are fantastic, im quite fancying them with leather/ rubber soles or the standard 78n boot with a leather/ rubber sole.

True to size for me - I'm a nine and their fit is bang on. Can't imagine a better or sturdier pair of boots for the money or even thrice the money to be honest. Think Goodyear welted is strong? You should see the thickness of the welting thread and the brass screws on the leather soles of these. By the way, how they fit a Vibram rubber sole is to brass screw & stitch through the leather insole, the uppers, a leather through sole, a bonded on rubber through sole and then the Vibram unit is bonded to this rubber through sole and additionally brass screwed at the heel (x4). You can request further brass screws at the toe if you feel the boots will be given some serious hammer. Obviously, with the leather soled options, they are fully brass screwed and stitched all the way through. Both these soling options are entirely replaceable.

All their styles are fully customisable - I had my pair of 78PTCs made up two-tone with dark brown plain leather at the front and heel section and black Scotch grain on the shafts. I chose for this pair (I will be having another pair as they are astonishing vfm given their sturdiness and replaceable soles), Vibram commando soles with extra brass screws at the toe, brass rivets added from the B5 WW1 boots, had the leather sole edges dyed brown as they normally leave them natural and requested brown leather laces. I didn't get on with the laces so I swapped them out for some waxed cotton black ones. I also had my boots fully leather lined in natural veg tan as an extra. Around nine customisations from standard, just less than 8 weeks from order to delivery and £170 all in.

The brown kip out leather from the WW1 boots is said to be really serious, extra heavy duty stuff and the same goes for that used in the hill and fell boots. Lenny McLean leather!

So mate, if you want a pair of WW1 boots in waxy tan for example but with a triple leather sole instead of double, undyed sole edges to show of the leather layering, a stacked leather heel with with a rubber top piece then they'll do 'em if you ask nicely. They'll also stick whatever half soles or heel pieces on you supply them with or whatever they have in stock as unlike the Northampton manufacturers with their Goodyear welted footwear, Lennons don't have a problem with glueing on rubber or PVC soles as it doesn't damage their type of construction.

They will even send you swatches of leather for you to choose from. Some of the leather comes from the world renowned Horween tannery in the Chicago area of Uncle Sam; the sole leather, I have read, is English and some of the other upper choices are as well.

PM me and I'll give you Libs Slattery's email address as she deals with all the orders. As an aside, she is the original William Lennon's great granddaughter. I think that's right anyway - I hope I haven't forgotten to omit another 'great' and added an entire generation onto the poor lady's shoulders. She is an absolute gem and a real hoot to boot (pun intended).

I'd supply pictures of mine but I won't be back at our house for a good while yet (kitchen fitting) and my camera skills are pants. Needless to say the boots are the canine's cajones but they are perhaps not as neatly finished as a pair of the Northampton shoemakers' are i.e. the sole edges are a little rougher and the stitching, although totally solid (probably more so) isn't as nanometre perfect but then they are working men's boots designed for serious hammer in thee most arduous environments and by the looks and feel of mine, I'll be deid lang afore the boots are! Although in certain styles they may be considered dressy by some, they are not city office-boy mincers!

Next time round (Christmas hopefully), I reckon I'm going for a pair of 107F field boots in unlined waxy tan with the stitched toe cap from the 78TC but no rivets. Triple (or quadruple if they'll do 'em) leather soles finished with Mastergrip brown PVC half soles and heels (a couple of quid on ebay) as when worn out, they can be replaced diy style by the owner fairly easily and extra long brown leather laces to wrap around around the boot and through the leather pull on tab.

isaiah53 said:
cheers for that reply graeme, very informative. you ever thought of becoming a sales rep for them? :) youve sold me on these, im going to have a good think and decide which ones i fancy :)

A spade is a spade is a spade. If it's a good spade then I'll say so, if it's shite then same goes. Besides, they're British and the last of their kind. Use your Google Fu wisely, young jedi and master you will become, yes.

On the mention of this company in the Brogues thread I went to their factory the other weekend, thinking seeing them in the flesh so to speak would tempt me to get some. Alas not open on Saturdays! Had a nice Pea mix from the chippy next door instead!
Not that far from me so I will pop in one day in the week, no doubt it will be an expensive "pop"

ollie9091 said:
On the mention of this company in the Brogues thread I went to their factory the other weekend, thinking seeing them in the flesh so to speak would tempt me to get some. Alas not open on Saturdays! Had a nice Pea mix from the chippy next door instead!
Not that far from me so I will pop in one day in the week, no doubt it will be an expensive "pop"

Be great if you could let us know how you get on when you visit, Ollie. Maybe take the camera and get a few pictures if they'll let you which I'm sure they will if you ask nicely. I have found both Libs and Dan the very best of people to deal with and envy your closeness as I would like to pay them visit to thank them for their efforts and to ogle some of their boots, lasts and machinery. Wonderful, last of its kind company that embodies all that is great about traditional British manufacture and with world class, personal service.

P.S. have changed my mind and am going to hopefully request a pair of WW1 B5 boots but with triple leather soles that have undyed, smooth burnished edges, extra long 'wrap-around' leather laces but otherwise as standard.

ive just made an email enquiry, im asking about getting the 107F field boots, but with mahogany brown waxy grain leather instead of the zug leather. im trying to make my mind up about getting them lined or unlined, ill decide when i get a reply back from william lennons. they look the business.

Unless you have a habit of getting really hot feet, I'd get 'em lined - costs something like £10 a boot inc. tongues. My feet get really hot in the summer but I figure this first pair will see the majority of action in the cooler months when I can't wear a padded or insulated boot at all even gone minus ten! The mahogany brown leather may well be a cheaper option than the Zug but still damn hardy I bet and a really nice colour given the pictures I've seen on Google images. What about soles? Vibram?

Gairdner said:
I'd get 'em lined - costs something like £10 a boot inc. tongues. The mahogany brown leather may well be a cheaper option than the Zug but still damn hardy and a really nice colour. What about soles? Vibram?

yeah, im assuming the vibram is standard with the 107's. im wanting them to be versatile, so the vibram sole is ideal for me, for trudging the dark and dirty streets of british west hartlepool and wherever my wanderings may take me :) i really do like the mahogany leather as well, and im sure theyll last a lifetime.

Aye, Vibram for the British climate and standard as pictured on their site anyway. Lifetime I reckon too. Monkey hanging? Sorry....couldn't resist! :blush: :D

isaiah53 said:
just put my order in for the 107 field boots in mahogany brown waxy leather :) cant wait to get them.

Look forward to seeing pictures in a couple of months or so! :D

Back
Top Bottom