Winter prep for cars...

Pop a tow rope in the back for pulling people out of ditches.

landy.jpg

antdad said:
What is best for car locks to stop them freezing up? WD40 can't be good can it?
Graphite, same as house locks, though it is hard to get hold of these days. I've still got a film tub of it somewhere from the last time I bought some - the old chap in the Ironmongers had a big tub of it but no "puffers" left.

If that's just "what you've been taught" then feel free to disabuse me.

antdad said:
@shanky....just clean it.

I was run over by an idiot who drove around with their windscreen fogged up so normally I'd rip a person a couple or three new arse holes for admitting
to being being such a cretin but I'm in a good mood and you're young.

Any two quid bottle of window cleaner will do.

not misted more smudged i should say

and when i said point in general direction i was refering to the fog as visibilty was very poor when i left for work yesterday

its more of an anoyounce than affecting visibilty

if there is a hint of bad snow im buying a full set of snow chains.

i live in a village now and its hilly, not going to trust it in snow and ice

I was just looking at the cleaning info in my V7 Stone motorcycle manual. It recommends silicone wax polish on a bike which has a matt finish tank and a lot of plastic. Can anyone recommend a suitable product?

Fido said:
I was just looking at the cleaning info in my V7 Stone motorcycle manual. It recommends silicone wax polish on a bike which has a matt finish tank and a lot of plastic. Can anyone recommend a suitable product?

After washing down the bike with any bog standard car shampoo, towel dry and apply a couple of coats of any of the Collonite range of paste wax. The 476s is a super wax that will add a glass like finish and should give you 4-6 months protection from the elements. This hybrid wax is not readily available from the high street but type into any search engine and it will explain more about these waxes.

Fido said:

Go for Harley Wax Fido. You'll get an enormous tin which has an admixture of Carnauba wax in it. Unlike block Simonize you apply over the entire area to be polished, leave for about 20 minutes or so until it's cloudy & then just microfibre it easily off.
Leaves a really protective "wet look" finish, although I'd recommend using something like Autoglym Resin polish or similar first as the Harley has no cutting effect whatsoever and you'll seal in any discolouration or staining.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Dipesh said:
I wouldn't use 476 on a Matt finish tank. It will look strange.

I think Swissvax does a product. I'm sure it's called opaque but not sure.

Swissvax make a fine range of clobber, but have you seen the price of the stuff!! Pop along to Detailing world forum, an absolute wealth of info there regarding .....well, detailing products. ATB Denz

Get some stuff called ACF-50 if you've got a bike and want to stop your shiny bits from corroding. I put some on a freshly-cut piece of exhaust before painting it and it showed no sign of rust for weeks and it also leaves an invisible film on your exposed metalwork for years and protects it. I wouldn't recommend it for painted surfaces but for fastners, nuts and bolts it's invaluable.

My manual says "Do not polish matt painted surfaces with polishing paste."

Just to complicate things I just had a look at my Triumph cleaning kit which I use for my Royal Enfield. I have some spray polish which states ; "no silicone, suitable for gloss, matt surfaces and plastic."

So I'm a bit confused!

My winter wheels and tyres are waiting to go on when my mate makes it round with a jack. It may be small, light, rear-engined and RWD, but it's just fine in snow and ice on temperature-appropriate rubber. (And deeply entertaining on normal tyres, I might add!)

Fido said:
My manual says "Do not polish matt painted surfaces with polishing paste."

Just to complicate things I just had a look at my Triumph cleaning kit which I use for my Royal Enfield. I have some spray polish which states ; "no silicone, suitable for gloss, matt surfaces and plastic."

So I'm a bit confused!

Matt paint needs special products Peter. On gloss plastics the products mentioned above will be fine but if you use it on Matt, it will ruin the finish.

Swissvax makes a wax for Matt finishes, I think it's called opaque.

As with all things detailing, it's all in the prep. A wax adds a subtle nuance. I have some waxes that are £5 all the way to £250 and the difference is minimal if the prep is spot on.

If you want a few bits for the glossy stuff Peter, send me a PM and I'll PIF you a few bits.

Winter prep for cars:

Clean the car inside and out, everything, the matts, windows and make sure its topped up in the usual fluids (screen wash, oil, and other fluids changed every two years etc). Dot forget decent tyres, they are worth it and keep the tyre pressures checked. ;)

Dont forget the wing mirror glass cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom