Work Shirts

Afternoon Gents.
Following on from my Loake thread, anyone got any thoughts on any good shirt 'brands' I am looking for smart work wear, with double cuffs (seem hard to find) but at a reasonable price...

You might be surprised what you can find in your local charity shops. In a few months I've picked up 5 or 6 nearly-new CT double-cuff work shirts for around £3 or £4 a pop.

Louis said:
You might be surprised what you can find in your local charity shops. In a few months I've picked up 5 or 6 nearly-new CT double-cuff work shirts for around £3 or £4 a pop.

Awesome idea.... I have just been looking on ebay actually. All good as long as they are nearly new... I may go and visit some charity shops - I had not considered that!

I wear double cuff work shirts. M&S is my default brand. Either the cotton non-iron shirts for about £40 (which need ironing, but iron easily) or shirts from the Made to Measure service.

Hate to admit it, but keep an eye on Aldi. They were doing a limited range of their own brand recently which started at £19 and when they didn't sell gradually came down to under a tenner. Knock spots off my usual M&S for quality, fit well, nice fabrics. I picked up four for about £50 and am well pleased.

Pink have some good sale prices and the outlet at Bicester can net you some bargains.

Boab said:
Pink have some good sale prices and the outlet at Bicester can net you some bargains.

If you can get to Bicester, you also have Tyrwhitt, Brooks Brothers, Hackett, Polo Ralph Lauren, Dunhill, Jaeger. Prices are usually pretty keen and choice is very wide.

The advantage of the Jermyn Street brands - TM Lewin, Tyrwhitt, Harvie and Hudson and the rest - is that when you order you can specify the sleeve length, which will give you a much better fit. Ready-to-wear shirts on the High Street will simply give you a standard size determined by the collar, which may or may not fit very well (in my personal experience, always the latter).

M&S shirts often appear on ebay as last years stock clearance with their tags removed. Whether they have your size is pot luck but I picked up a couple late last year for £6 each. They've been great and I must say I seem to be fine with sleeve length 'off the peg'. I don't wear them as shirts for work so no double cuffs but they're grand as they are or under a lambswool sweater for every day use.

Clifford said:
The advantage of the Jermyn Street brands - TM Lewin, Tyrwhitt, Harvie and Hudson and the rest - is that when you order you can specify the sleeve length, which will give you a much better fit. Ready-to-wear shirts on the High Street will simply give you a standard size determined by the collar, which may or may not fit very well (in my personal experience, always the latter).

Brooks Brothers' dress shirts also come with exact sleeve lengths. They also offer a variety of fits. I like these two aspects of BB shirts because I have a fat neck, but regular length arms. My suit size is 40R, but my collar size is 161/2 and my sleeve length is 34, so I order the collar and sleeve length sizes that fit me in their slim fit.

Gairdner said:
M&S shirts often appear on ebay as last years stock clearance with their tags removed. Whether they have your size is pot luck but I picked up a couple late last year for £6 each. They've been great and I must say I seem to be fine with sleeve length 'off the peg'. I don't wear them as shirts for work so no double cuffs but they're grand as they are or under a lambswool sweater for every day use.

didnt realise that. i nabbed myself one last night, ive been after a few more shirts for myself, far too many tshirts in my wardrobe it needs balancing out.

I'm a big fan of TM Lewin ones, especially the John Francombe fit. I usually find a regular shirt in a collar size I could wear a tie with is a tent otherwise but these fit quite nicely, and if for everyday wear (without a tie) I find a half inch collar smaller is a really nice fit. Great quality too.

Charles Tyrwhitt are really nice too and come with nice metal collar stiffeners, none of your plastic nonsense!

Thomas Pink are nice but I can't really justify paying double the price of a TM Lewin when half of them aren't even made in the UK despite the emphasis on them being a prestigious British brand.

Back
Top Bottom