Xmas fare you're not too fond of..but's it tradtional right?

Salt Cod and Eel...but now I know how to cook and they are endangered I've got the taste for em.

Let me get me helmet...

Turkey...perfect for Yanks, too large and lacking taste, frankly any bird that likes cranberry's should be avoided.
Xmas Pud...some Victorian cooked porridge that you lace with booze, mature and set light to make it barely tolerable, that's not desert that's your Gran.

Xmas Veg - carrots, sprouts and parsnips...who want's that? The sprouts are only tolerable with bacon so eat bacon. Parsnips are good when they taste like crisps so eat crisps.

Roast tatoes, a packet of bacon crisps and a Cornetto will do me fine.

It's not the type of food on Christmas Day that I'm averse to, it's the need felt by anyone in my (wife's) family to pile my plate so high it touches the mistletoe. I like Christmas pudding so would prefer to have a just a few cubic inches left inside my torso to fit some in. Plus there's countless other tasty snacks on offer. If I eat too much dinner then I can't enjoy the mince pies, sausage rolls or various chocs on offer. :hungrig

Actually one part of the dinner we always seem to have that I don't see the point of is the chipolatas.

Turkey (in fact any poultry) - dry tasteless crap. Comes in to this house only for feeding the dog. If forced to have a roast dinner at Christmas it's either a very slow roasted rib of beef (bone in, same as we had all through the 'beef on the bone' ban here - tame butcher :)) or a leg of pork (with loads of crackling, maybe even extra crackling). But we have that all year around....

Sprouts - the Belgians feed them to horses - I wouldn't be that cruel to the horses.

Net result, we'll be having a Bengali feast that I'll prepare the day before Christmas Eve and only be concerned with the cooking of the naan breads on my stand in Tandoor mark III. If you were to see it, you'd think it was a 14" clay flower pot on a souped up barbecue, and you'd be right - but it works.

Christmas Pud after though - either a Jenners one (reminds me, I need to go get it) or a Waitrose one - not set alight, not laced with booze, but drowned in vanilla sauce (I'll be fighting my son for the skin off it whilst SWMBO quietly pukes in the corner)

I'd quite merrily avoid a Christmas lunch. I am more fond of the Boxing Day lunch.

Pan Haggerty. All of the leftover veg compacted into a large frying pan and suitably warmed through avec cold turkey/pork/pigs in blankets and stuffing plus a fried egg of course. Salt, pepper and Tommy K. Orgasmic!

Is this delight a North East thing?

:hungrig

Well now you now just how odd I am!

I love my turkey, stuffing, roast and mashed potatoes, with my sprouts, parsnips, carrots, peas,corgettes and any other vegetable on the table. And my christmas pudding a bit later.
Then the 10k run before tea.

hunnymonster said:
Turkey (in fact any poultry) - dry tasteless crap.

I may not know much about shaving, but I know a lot about meat. There are two main reasons for turkey (in fact any poultry) being dry and tasteless.

1) Overcooking - it's a simple fact that the leg meat takes longer to cook than the breast meat. Therefore by the time the legs are cooked, the breasts are overdone. If you add to this your traditional stuffing inside the cavity of the bird, it's going to take even longer to cook, and the breast meat will be even drier.

There are ways around this. Cook the stuffing separately, i.e. in a different container and not inside the bird. Also, bard the bird with decent streaky bacon (bacon with lots of fat on it), as the fat will lubricate the meat as it cooks. Plus stuff herby butter up under the skin of the bird; again, it will lubricate as it cooks.

2) Crap birds - something like 95% of all the chickens reared in this country are intensively farmed. This means they spend their entire lives living in a space about the size of an A4 piece of paper. "Free range" birds are allowed a little more space than is, perhaps 4 times as much - not a great deal. So unless your bird has the word "organic" on it, and preferably the Soil Association symbol, it's probably one of these intensively reared birds. Words like "Farm Fresh" and pictures of smiling farmers on the packaging are meaningless. (Not sure if the figures are similar for turkey, but I'd be surprised if they weren't - probably worse.)

These birds don't get to move around much as you can imagine, therefore their muscles don't develop properly. Under-developed muscle = lack of taste. Think about beef - a fillet steak is tender as anything because it doesn't do a lot of work during the cow's life, but it doesn't have as much taste as, say, sirloin or rump steak.

These birds also don't get outside, so don't develop any fat on them at all, which contributes to the overcooking problem outlined above. Add to this the amount of antibiotics pumped into these poor creatures to prevent the spread of disease in such confined conditions, and you have a product that's cheap, but not a very good starting point if you want a delicious meal.

There is only one solution - don't buy these birds. Go organic. They're more expensive, but they really do taste so much better, plus if you use the carcass for stock you can make risotto or soup or something, thus getting more meals out of the one bird, and increasing its value for money.

Man alive I feel better for that. HFW has something to answer for. If you want to become a raving meat-preacher like me, buy his book "MEAT". It'll change the way you buy and prepare meat forever.

Blyth Spirit said:
IanM said:
Sprouts? They are the obviously Satan's bogies.

Bogies they may be but they taste good, hot or cold.

Yeah, my wife loves them, but they're not for me.

Blyth Spirit said:
They also provide hours of postprandial entertainment for all the family! Sadly Mrs Spirit does not generally appreciate the ensuing hilarity...

:eek:

Especially effective during the Queen's speech.

Ian

cheese_dave said:
These birds also don't get outside, so don't develop any fat on them at all, which contributes to the overcooking problem outlined above.

There is only one solution - don't buy these birds. Go organic.

On the contrary, mass produced birds are very fatty as they do very little, even organic birds have been selectively bred to be overly large.

I don't completely buy into the "organic is better" mantra, after all you could give a bird organic feed and still keep it in poor conditions to qualify, if you have many mouths to feed just buy a few smaller sized birds, the meat will be sweeter and you don't have to go to extraordinary lengths to keep it from drying out when you are cooking it for an age. I know from keeping my own poultry how much better the eggs taste even compared to shop bought "organic" eggs, they get ordinary feed and let out a few times a week to scratch around, it's just as important that they see daylight than what they eat.

Other than that Dave I agree.

Regardless of the way the bird is kept or fed (and to be fair on the odd occasions we do buy a chicken, it's one that's been running around in fields - same place we get our eggs from... where you can see the egg-producers in the field behind the honesty box/shed combo at the roadside :D) - you still can't make gravy* from a bird that's worth the effort. Hence it's pork or a rib of beef.

* Gravy is not Bisto - that's a simple way of making (expensive) meat taste of Bisto. Gravy is made from the juices of the meat, flour & something like Compton's Gravy Salt or Burdon's Gravy Browning.

Back
Top Bottom