Xmas fare you're not too fond of..but's it tradtional right?

Arrowhead said:
antdad said:
I don't completely buy into the "organic is better" mantra ...
Nor do I, but the difference is striking with farmed salmon: firmer meaty texture and none of that psychedelic pink colouration.

I'm sure that's very true, for poultry feed there's probably not a huge difference in actual quality plus if they are scratching around they are adding supplements to their diet but since you mention it I was wandering what an organic salmon food pellet would contain, pen size is also seems critical...

"For salmon to be labeled organic, the farm must operate in strict adherence with standards set forth by any of several organic-certifying agencies in Europe. These standards are stricter than those applied to conventional aquaculture operations. Under the rules of the Soil Association, a British-based agency, the number of salmon per pen is half that of conventional farms to minimize crowding and resulting disease; the salmon are fed fish meal containing the trimmings of fish fit for human consumption rather than industrial fish meal, and the amount of fish oil is lower than that in conventional fish meal (fish oil is a suspected source of cancer-causing contaminants); the use of pesticides to treat sea lice is strongly restricted; the synthetic pigment, canthaxanthin, which mimics the pink coloring crustaceans impart to wild salmon, is prohibited. All organic aquaculture operations are inspected at least once a year"

Good stuff
Turkey breast
roast parsnips slightly burned cooked in turkey fat
Roast potatoes cooked in turkey fat
My mother in laws christmas pudding.
Turkish delights
Cup of tea and mince pie after church Christmas morning.

Bad stuff
My mothers roast parsnips (too big, not cooked properly)
nuts in xmas pudding (wrong, wrong, wrong)
Turkey dark meat.
The ridiculous amount of toffees in quality streets.

antdad said:
On the contrary, mass produced birds are very fatty as they do very little, even organic birds have been selectively bred to be overly large.

Fair point, though that's kinda flabby fat rather than fat developed to keep warm from being outside (like my fat). The thing is, the labeling on supermarket products will do anything it can to make the food appealing, and will use terms like "farm fresh" to mislead people. So it's fresh and it came from a farm. So does slurry (oo-er, that slurry bloke might be around).

I think my point is really if you start from a cheap rubbish product, you'll get a cheap rubbish meal. For some people, food is fuel, so that's okay. But I like to know, as best I can, that my food's been reared in decent conditions, hasn't been cruelly treated, has died humanely and as painlessly as possible, and been butchered, where necessary, by someone who knows what they're doing. Or in the case of game meat, has been shot as painlessly as possible... errr... you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom